“Great place, but bugs”

Ranked #11 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Asciano
Grasmere, United Kingdom
“Great place, but bugs”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here with a group. It is very pretty, great views. It looks to have good amenities, but it was cold in October.
In the house we stayed in there were three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The living room was comfortable. The kitchen was well-equipped. It even had a couple of coffee makers, a good sized fridge. It didn't have any cleaning equipment, so guests had to bring that. What we all kept forgetting was sugar for some reason.
The beds are comfortable. The single beds are a bit narrow. I'm used to sleeping on a wider bed and almost rolled off a few times. The lights are a bit interesting to figure out. There are main switches, but they are for all the lamps in the room, or at least the standing one. One problem that we had was that there were very few power outs, and none in a place where I could plug my chargers in without putting things on the floor.
The bathrooms are nice. However, the tub is not good for having a bath in. It has a lot of veneer missing. Like someone burned it off at places.
The heating worked well, though we needed the thing unlocked quite late at night. Luckily the estate keeper was available.

Now for the negatives. One evening we had a huge storm, and we had water coming in everywhere. We even had water so deep in the room, that we couldn't figure out how it got there. We didn't have anything to clean it up with either. So in case of a storm, start putting things on the furniture.
Another problem that we had was the doors. They are the type where you move them and they make so much noise, everyone wakes up. So forget trying to quietly sneak out to the bathroom.
The third problem was the bugs. They were everywhere, and there was no precaution against them at all. I know that we're on a farm, but still... We even had an accident with that, because something bit me in the middle of the night. The staff was great, they rushed me to the hospital right away in their own car. However, I do wish they had taken some steps to prevent the animals from getting in. I had something huge, like 10cm running out of my bed, and that was probably what bit me.

Overall, great place. It would be even better if they took care of the things I mentioned.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zelda_of_Arel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Amman
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I wanted to find somewhere we could stay in Tuscany that would be peaceful and cater to the whole family (2 x adults and 2 boys aged 6 and 7). I looked at a number of places on the internet and kept coming back to La Campana. We booked a villa for two weeks and it was the most unstructured overseas holiday I have ever planned. The area is so beautiful you can spend hours just looking at the view and the sunsets are amazing. It is also within easy reach of lots of different locations within Tuscany and beyond - we have done day trips to Siena, Florence, Piza and an overnight trip to Venice which was less than four hours drive. We have been able to eat lots of amazing local produce and the boys have enjoyed running around in the gardens, playing soccer and swimming in the pool. The apartments are simple but well appointed (love the fact there is no TV) and there are supermarkets close by in Asciano. It has been a truly relaxing experience and one I would highly recommend to others so long as you really do want to get away from it all.

Room Tip: All the rooms have different views. We stayed in villa N which is on the ground floor and has a pri...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a lovely place, very well maintained and well managed by Paola. For our young family (3 kids) it provides the best combination of relaxation, entertainment (pool, tennis, walks, cycling), privacy (in your own apartment) and excursions (daytrips or lunch / dinner in one of the villages nearby). We can absolutely recommend it! This was our second visit and we'll go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fvdp02
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed October 15, 2009

This trip to Italy was a once in a lifetime event for my Mom, two sisters, my boyfriend and myself given that my oldest sister has terminal lung cancer. I looked extensively for an accommodation that would provide an amazing Tuscany experience. I found it in Tenuta La Campana. Paolo, the manager was wonderful. The views are sublime and location central for day trips to locations ranging from Florence to Assisi. I cannot say enough about this location or facility.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Lemonorchard
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband and I went to Italy for our honeymoon and wanted to see as much of Italy as possible in the span of two weeks. However, we are huge wine and food lovers and did not want to miss out on Tuscany. After a lot of research over the internet, we discovered Tenuta La Campana's website and pretty much fell in love with the pictures. From the pictures, it seemed liked it was exactly what we were looking for...beautiful scenery, away from the city but close enough to not feel totally secluded. We were really cautious and worried since pictures are not always what they turn out to be in reality but this was ... by far.... the highlight of our trip. The accomodations were well kept, beautiful, and totally what we were looking for.

This is not for everyone....there is no t.v., no phone in your room and the closest town is a bout a 10 minute drive away. However, Paola, our most gracious hostess, is there on set dates and times and offered us internet access when we needed to book trains for the last part of our trip. She was so accomodating and pleasant. This is a place where you can live like an Italian....shop for local food in the nearby town or , if you choose, to drive to sienna (half hour drive) and have dinner there.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple