All reviews deluxe room umbrella bar wine bar boot room ski school salad metal staircase hotel credit self service restaurant ski holiday main restaurant steam room the ski hire shop hotel bar hooks to hang dessert buffet flip flops
Selected filters
Reviewed March 27, 2018

We came here for our annual snowboarding holiday at the beginning of March and had an amazing time. Due to all of the snow in the UK we were delayed by 7 hours so didn't arrive at the Grand Hotel Paradiso until 9.30pm. On arrival, the hotel had kept the restaurant open so we could all still have our evening meal which I thought was a nice touch.

We had paid extra to have a Deluxe Room which was very luxurious for a ski hotel and it was so worth the money. The bed was huge & comfy, the shower was great and we had a fantastic view looking out at the mountains. We also had a balcony which was nice.

We were Half Board and were worried about the food due to previous reviews however the food was great and lots of variety. At breakfast there was plenty of choices with cereal, cooked breakfast, cold meats, yoghurts, breads etc, you could easily fill up ready for a day on the slopes. Evening meals were great too, they had a fantastic salad station, a different soup every night, a choice of different pastas & always a few meat & veg options. I found all food to be very tasty and didn't have a bad meal the entire time.

The drinks in the restaurant were expensive (compared to in the hotel the bar) but not a huge deal. A glass of the house wine was €6 and was nice, I suppose this compared to a drink in the french alps is relatively cheap.

We had a white out on our 3rd day so decided to pay the €50 to use the spa facilities. Again this was so worth the money. The indoor pool was grotto style and was lovely & relaxing and there is a sauna, steam room, loungers ect. We used this every day after this after a day on the slopes and it was pretty quiet most of the time.

The resort of Passo Tonale itself was great. Not that many bars so it was pretty quiet on the evening which again was fine with us. The hotel is located at the bottom of the slopes where there are lots of lifts to choose from. To get to the slopes you walk up some steps but can ski/board virtually back to ski room of the hotel. Also the gondola over to Ponte di Legno & the lift up to the Glacier is just over the road so the location is perfect to access all of the slopes.

The ski locker room was great, always warm and our locker was huge so fitted both our boards, boots & helmets ect.

We preferred it at Ponte di Legno as the slopes were a little more challenging, prettier as they were tree lined and seemed to be virtually empty. We had some great sunny days whilst we were there & also had a massive snowfall which was just perfect.

All in all we had an amazing time and if we came back to this resort we would not hesitate to stay in the Grand Hotel Paradiso again.

Room tip: Deluxe room at the front of the hotel was quiet & had a great view of the mountains. Sun on balcony in morning, not afternoon.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danielle C
Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

We recently visited The Grand Hotel Paradiso, and I was really sceptical as I had read the poor reviews on trip advisor. I do enjoy luxury holidays with brilliant food and nice wine so I was dreading the buffet meals we had included into the hotel.

We arrived and the staff were so friendly and fast check in at reception.

We upgraded our room to a junior suite which was only another £100 average for the week and it was so worth it as I heard the basic rooms were a little cramped.

Our room was huge! We had a living room and separate room for a jacuzzi bath, bathroom and a decent size bedroom along with a balcony facing the glacier which was just breath taking!

I could not knock the food one bit. For breakfast there were cold meats, cheeses, salad, fruit, crossiants, cereals yogurts and then your hot breakfasts sausages bacon & eggs. Fresh fruit juices and water.

Dinner was always different and I always loved the options, pastas, meat choices, pizza for kids along with lots of different deserts.

I felt the need to write this review as people read the negatives and don’t book, but the bad reviews are 1 visitor amongst the thousand that visit the hotel every week.

The only negative I have to say is that you have to pay 50 euros per room to use the spa facilities. I have never had to pay additional to go into the hotel spa. But I can kind of understand why they do it, if everyone was allowed in the facilities would be swamped after skiing and kids would run riot, which takes the serenity out of the spa.

Some people’s expectations on Trip Advisor are so high no hotel can ever meet them so please don’t be put off staying here...

Bar on site, close to village and ski in and out of the resort. What more could you possibly want?

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank JodieAlexandra
Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

Our 1st day and so far I can’t fault the hotel.I had emailed crystal several times with my concerns after reading the reviews on here and now have to eat humble pie the standard room is superb fitted with amazing hot powerful shower, fridge, two wardrobes and a amazing view. There is a safe in the room and I asked for a kettle before arriving and it was in my room when we got in. Hair dryer in the room too. I would recommend to bring a travel plug with slimmer prongs as the thicker ones don’t work but there is an electric shop just next to the supermarket which sell them €6.

The food in the restaurant last night was delicious , I had lasagne and a Parmesan soufflé which was lovely. Lots of salads, breads , vegetables to choose from. We asked for a bowl of pasta with cheese, butter and Parmesan and was served it within 5 minutes.
The apples strudel and tiramisu was to so yummy I wished I hadn’t tasted them and wanted more!

Breakfast is great , hot options , cold options lots to chose from and all very tasty. Coffee is out of a machine but more than adequate and lots of teas to choose from too. Juices and milk to drink too.

Staff are so very friendly and nothing is enough trouble . Crystal staff are great too again nothing too much trouble.

Spa /swimming pool Is extra and before 5pm is full of children but after 5 I think would be more relaxing there are herbal teas, water and fruit for you to have too.

Long may it continue ⛷❤️

Great day skiing and looking forward to the rest of our week.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank lisarG4095AN
Reviewed March 24, 2018

When I book a ski-trip I am concerned more about the resort than the hotel. As long as the hotel is clean and comfortable with good food and helpful staff then I am happy. If it is close to the ski runs then that is a bonus. The Grand Hotel Paradiso ticks all those boxes. It is one of the most expensive hotels in the resort but this is Passo Tonale not Cervinia, so the price is relative. It is a clean modern hotel and it is priced very well. It is situated literally at the foot of three lifts which enable you to get all around the resort very easily. Stayed in a deluxe room which was worth the extra for the spacious room and spacious bed. The buffet style service for all courses did come as a surprise (in 20 years of skiing I had not had that in an Alpine Hotel) but the food was generally very good. This hotel is very much set up to cater for Crystal customers but that means you get dedicated coaches to and from the airport and to and from Madonna plus on site Crystal staff, six days a week. It doesn't have the Alpine charm of the Vittoria (where we stayed last year) but it is a different style of hotel. Would I recommend it? Yes. P.S. Thanks to Gemiliano in the restaurant for his friendliness and professionalism.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alex S
Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

I visited the grand hotel Paradiso from 17-24 March with my boyfriend and was glad I read the previous reviews so I was prepared, not necessarily in a bad way though.

Arrival:
The transfer took about 3 hours from the airport. Upon arrival we did have to drag our cases up the narrow pathway to reception which was covered in snow and rather slippy. We opted to leave our cases in the luggage room and go grab some lunch in the bar whilst the check in queues died down - it seems that this is a very popular hotel with crystal ski and apparently they had about 300 people check in from various UK flights that day!
We checked in about an hour later and it was speedy, we paid for the spa access €50 per room at that time as well.

Room:
We were in deluxe room 102 which would have had a lovely view of the glacier opposite the hotel, had there not been a 4ft snow drift in front of our window!!
We didn’t have dressing gowns and slippers in the room, so rang down to reception and they were bought them straight up. Also the tv and hairdryer didn’t work, again rang down to reception and replacements were bought straight up.
Our room was fine, it had a comfy bed, sofa, lots of sockets, free safe, good amount of wardrobe space, open plan bathroom with separate shower and toilet cubicles - I bought a travel kettle after reading previous reviews about the lack of tea making facilities and got milk from breakfast each day.
Thermostat didn’t seem to work, so had to open the window at night as the room was quite hot. I would recommend ear plugs if you want to get an early night as the umbrella apres ski bar goes on until 9pm and is right next to the hotel. On a plus note, being so close to reception meant we had excellent WiFi all the time!

Spa:
Spa area was lovely and not very busy, consisted of 2 steam rooms, sauna, a few sensory showers (with lots of jets), ice cave and relaxation room with water and fruit teas available. Yes you have to pay €5 for a fabric swim cap and rubber flip flops but to be honest the pool is pretty cold I didn’t even use my fetching swim cap, and the jacuzzi is on the same system as the pool so again is tepid and deserted, I did ask for the temperature to be turned up with no avail!

Restaurant:
Ok here’s the honest part, breakfast was absolutely fine, a few coffee machines, lots of continental options and the standard hot options - eggs, sausages, bacon (you can pay extra for omelette and other egg options)
The evening meal was where I struggled and I’m not a fussy eater. The soup was excellent and in a huge bowl and so was the starter buffet of antipasti. It was the mains I struggled with, served canteen style from the chefs and about 9 options of pasta, meats cooked within an inch of their lives (chicken, rabbit, veal, beef, pork depending on which day of the week it was) and some pizza and chips options. I always found something to eat but did usually filled up on the starters. It’s was also abit of a scrum to find a free table at peak times and they are squished together and also to get a waiters attention to order drinks was difficult. Maybe they should consider the Austrian approach of assigning tables and preordering evening meals at breakfast and only having a few options to avoid the queues?
Costs of drinks were reasonable too, beer and glass of wine is €6 each or a bottle of wine starts from €24 and you can keep it for the next night if you don’t finish the bottle.
Big shout out to the staff who work very hard and are always extremely friendly and professional!

Location:
The location of this hotel is second to none, it’s right on the lower slopes and it’s truly ski in - you just have to either walk up a metal staircase or the slope to get to the lifts.
Take the button lift and then blue 18 to get to either the glacier gondola or the lower resort of Ponte de Legno which is all tree lined and if it’s a cloudy day it’s below the clouds and you can see where you’re going! You do have to ski down 1 or 2 black runs to get to the rest of the slopes here but the black runs in this resort are more like French reds. Again the black run all the way down from the glacier mid station is more of a red.
I recommend taking the free shuttle bus to Madonna di Campiglio which is a much bigger resort. It’s very easy to get to, take the number 5 shuttle bus which stops outside the Miramonti hotel by the Vittoria lift and it takes about 40 minutes through breath taking scenery, there’s 3-4 buses a day there and back at reasonable times. If you get the superskirama lift pass (the more expensive one) you can ski in this resort as many times as you like, whereas if you get the Passo Tonale area lift pass then you can ski in Madonna di Campiglio once in a week. Crystal offer a ski away day here but you’re paying €25 just for the bus when the shuttle bus is free and easy...!

On the whole we did thoroughly enjoy our stay at this hotel, would we return...defiantly!! If we got the same excellent deal through crystal ski, then we would defiantly return as it was excellent value for money for a good hotel, with great WiFi, good facilities, friendly staff and on the slopes in a reasonable sized ski area.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple