“Fawlty Towers... but not funny”
Review of Skipper

Skipper
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We agree with the earlier posters' sentiment that the place was like Fawlty Towers, but it wasn't funny. The food was pretty average at best and poor value but the service was just terrible. There was the fat clumsy waiter who kept tripping up and nearly spilled my dinner on my lap and the skinny preening waiter who acted like serving customers was beneath him. Despite ordering drinks twice, none ever materialised but were still included on our bill. Just like the person who was overcharged for the fish, we also were led downstairs to sort out the problem while the man behind the till shouted a lot at the waiter. Avoid like the plague.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I ate in Skipper and made the mistake (it turned out) of ordering a fish from their display. We weren’t feeling too hungry so chose one average sized fish (a bream) to share as a main course. We didn’t order a starter and just had a couple of glasses of the house wine. When the bill came the fish was priced at 110 euros !!! The rest of the bill was fine, about 6 euros for a mixed salad and 5 euros a glass of wine, but then this ridiculous 110 euros for the fish. The cost of the fresh fish had stated 6.50-8.50 per 100 grams. The restaurant had claimed incredibly dubiously that our fish had weighed 1.3kg (!) and had chosen to price it at 8.50 per 100 grams. I complained to the head waiter who without hesitation said “for complaints you need to come downstairs”, implying to me that complaints were very common. I then went through a very unpleasant discussion with a very unpleasant representative of the restaurant, which culminated in them taking 40 euros of the bill when I said the maximum I was willing to pay for the whole meal was 110 euros and was very willing for the police to be called. During our discussion another man – I think Italian – came in and complained he had been overcharged for an ice-cream (he’d order a small and they’d charged him for a large). It seemed ripping off customers was commonplace. The head waiter was kind enough to help translate while I was speaking to the ‘boss’. The waiter admitted 110 euros was ridiculous and apologised profusely, stressing that he only worked there and was not responsible for the prices. The whole experience was a great shame. It takes a bit of pleasure out of a meal out to have to confirm the price of a fish before it is cooked but it seems in a restaurant like Skipper you have to or you will be massively taken advantage of. I strongly recommend you do not go to this restaurant.

1  Thank Tristan V
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We went to Skippers on our first night in Sardinia. We planned on just going in for a drink before going somewhere else for dinner but the waiting staff were so entertaining we decided to stay to eat. When I say entertaining, I mean in a Basil Faulty way! They seemed to be trying so hard to please diners they kept messing up. Whilst I appreciate this can be frustrating, we decided we were in no rush to be anywhere so really saw the funny side! Food was lovely and the wine recommendation was fantastic. On our second visit of the week though on our last night we failed to see he funny side when we were misled into ordering Lobster. We were told an approximate price based on weight and when we got the bill it was double!! We were extremely annoyed at this and felt totally cheated. Sadly it took the comedy out of our evening! Food taste lovely and views are great, however, be wary if your ordering the Lobster!!!!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We visited Skipper for lunch and recieved good service and good pizzas. We were tempted by their seafood menu and went back the same night for dinner.

That was a mistake. At first we got a table not just beside, but almost in the live singers lap. After complaining we got a table outside. We ordered 2 glasses of wine and paella. The wine was however served after the food... Which we got after 30 minutes. The paella was overcooked and the red wine was sour. We overheard other couples complaining, and some even left before ordering. Some guests were apparently VIPs, as the owner and vaitors spent all their time with them instead of delivering wine, food and bills. The toilet had no toilet paper, by the way. Stay out!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just had a overpriced, poor service and meal at the Skipper. DId not get offered wine or drinks menu, just sloppy all round a lot better places to eat in Baia, my suggestion would be the 'Corbezzolo' excellent value and service.