“Not for me”

Villa Fernanda Hotel
york
“Not for me”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed at Villa Fernanda about a year and a half ago and definitely would not return as my room was dark and musty. The food was awful and I got the feeling of being in a British seaside bed and breakfast place and not a hotel adjacent to Sorrento. I do not care whether the staff speak english or are chatty I just want a nice bright airy room and good food when I go away and I got neither at this place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank daisy298

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Hebrew first
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

V. Clean, comfortable, friendly hotel. A great base for trips to Pompeii, Capri, Herculaneum, Sorrento etc. Near the centre of this beautiful little town. We had half board, lovely food and wine, with a really brilliant Pizzeria just across the road, for lunch. Pool one of the best I have seen, surrounded by lemon and lime trees, hydrangeas and bougainvillea. V. Comfortable room with lovely terrace, for drinking the young local wine in the evenings (only 85p a litre!) My wife has a gluten intolerance and the friendly staff went out of their way to organise the right bread and pasta for her....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank niall18
lochristi
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had lost my job and was recovering from depressing and confusing period. One day my wife saw that I was down again and suddenly said : 'make a trip to Italy, I know you would love to ; we cannot go together, go alone, but it will do you good. Take a last minute and go !' Indeed, I have a passion for Italy so I did not hesitate, but .... alone ??? why not, I thought, try it, think of it as a pelgrimage to strengthen !!! Took my PC with me to skype with my lovely wife who did gave me this fabulous gift !

The residence at Hotel Villa Fernanda were 7 day's in paredise. Artistic environment, brilliant warm colours of flowers at a background of a deep blue sky and see. Excellent pizza di Napoli with red wine, authentic ports en bay's, nice walks in shadowed paths between old farms and gardens. It was great, experiencing the nice things of earth, 'here an now', practicing the Buddistic skill of 'being present'.

I had learned some Italian language and could have a chat with the Villa Fernanda team : Fernanda, Valeria, Antonio, and a friendly older man. After a while, the atmosfere became very pleasant and warm : jokes, teases, laughers but also serious talks did not make me feel alone at all. I found out that they actually were a warm, respecting and intelligent family.

The last day, Wednesday 13 of June 2012, I will never forget ! I was enjoying the sun at the swimming pool when suddenly Fernanda brought me a delicious cake with banana aroma and some drinks. She explained that it was the 'onomastico' or nameday of Antonio, and that he then brings cakes for celebrating his Saint, Sant Antonio di Padua ; of course ! how could I have missed this ; I had jointed the celebration that morning in the local 'S.Maria delle Grazie' church and the priest had mentioned that name 'Sant Antonio di Padua' several times ! I never had such a kind of heart-warming experience, I had discovered the precious diamond : I realized I became part of their family !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank dominiquelochristi
Bournemouth
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I was at the Villa Fernanda at the same time as Mr & Mrs Warder and on the whole I do share their views. The room I was staying in was adequate although the balcony was off the bathroom which was very strange. It was overshadowed by many trees and so there was no view and shade all the time. It was a waste of money paying for a balcony. The air conditioning wasn't on and it was very hot in the room which was quite dark and gloomy. The food was poor and the breakfast was the same every single day and wasn't very appetising. It seems they cut many corners with the food in order to save money. All in all not good value for money.

On the positive side, the swimming pool area was very good and the young lady receptionist couldn't do enough for us.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Linda H
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I have just come back from a one week stay in that place and I confess I am quite shocked by some of the comments I read on this forum (although I know some people are constantly negative and unsatisfied !).

I discovered that little hotel 2 years ago and enjoyed it so much that I decided to go back this year. The place was as nice as it was 2 years ago, i.e. simply lovely. The location is great, the food is simple but very good and the staff is extremely helpful and dedicated. It is certainly worth it's 3 stars. Extremely good value !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Momopatte
Sorrento, Italy
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I have recently returned from a trip to Italy where I stayed in this hotel and was so pleased with it! It really is a piece of heaven in a country so well-known for its hospitality. My husband and I were there for a week and the owner and his staff could not have done enough for us. We were treated like there was nothing they would not do for us, we had only to ask and it would be done. I was quite taked aback to read this recent negative review by Mr. Warder, who must have been there around the same time as my husband and myself. I cannot imagine that he was describing the same place!? My husband and I will be telling our friends about this "jewel" and if we ever make it back to this part of the world, we will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. It is very important to remember that when you travel, you do NOT have the comforts of home with you but you travel to experience different things and places. Hotels also have no control over traffic conditions nor weather. We cannot wait for our next trip to Italy!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank emmeth
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The transfer which should of taken about one hour, took almost four, so we did not arrive until 9pm. As we were the last to arrive we were given a very small room ‘204’, and told we had ten minutes to eat dinner or go without. It was cold lasagne and cold fish, so we went without. The room hardly a single, no room for clothes but a small cupboard, very tight around the bed which we put our cases under (thick with dust). The ‘bathroom’ seemed to be a narrow space with a shower at the end. Toilet, bidet and sink were very close. The door was sliding, but had to be left open when using the sink. The balcony faced the street and the noise from the traffic was bad. Under our balcony was table and chairs which guests and staff sat drinking and laughing till the early hours. We found out from other guests that our room had been offered to two other couples that same day. I questioned this with the owner but he denied it and said that he did not have any more rooms but other people had arrived so what were they given? Air-conditioning not available (switched off 31st August) room hot 34 degrees.

The food was very bad. Continental breakfast, nothing hot except tea, very basic, fruit was under ripe or specs. Bread some mornings was very stale. The worst we have eaten throughout the world. Dinner was also unbelievable, soup tasteless like wallpaper paste, gulgy! Toast with a topping of an unknown substance unable to bite or cut!! Cold pasta with tinned peas, mashed potato with small pieces of salami (which were left over from the breakfast ) and to top it four slices of green tomatoes, in an area which was rich with fruit and vegetables. One of the guests was a chief and him and his wife mostly eat out as he was amazed how bad the food was. We are not big eaters but we found the portions small and unappetising. Too many bad meal to list.

Yours Disappointedly
Mr & Mrs Warder

Room Tip: Dont have 204 if your a couple