“Unbelievable!”
Review of Hotel Iaccarino

Hotel Iaccarino
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This was one of - if not the best hotel we have ever stayed at!
From the bellman, to the front desk, to the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant - they were all very friendly and helpful.
We had a beautiful room with a balcony that overlooked all of Sorrento, the coast and Mt Vesuvius. I believe all rooms have this exact view!
The hotel was extremely well priced and offers a shuttle bus that departs 5 times daily to Sorrento's city centre - free of charge and extremely convenient. They offer day tours to Pompeii, Mt Vesuvius, Amalfi, Herculeum, etc and all from the convenience of the front desk!
The pool was amazing - perfect for the usual hot days to lie around and relax on a lounger. The pool side bar was also a huge bonus!
The restaurant has a great free morning breakfast and for $20 Euro you are given a 4 course meal at night which is very well priced for the amount of food and how tasty it is!
You can't get a better hotel than this. To me, this was five star all around. We've travelled for over a month now throughout Europe - Ireland, Germany, Spain, Italy and this was absolutely, positively the best stay we've had all trip! And will.
Book this hotel! You won't regret it

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Luda54

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I stayed at this hotel 9/5 to 16/5 with my mum. Please do not pay attention to the negative reviews, they are nonsense. This is a fantastic hotel; the staff are friendly and incredibly helpful. We spoke with several others at the hotel and heard no complaints whatsoever.

General - there is a little village behind the hotel with bars and restaurants if you fancy a change of scenery. Some basic Italian goes a long way and the locals are very pleased if you at least have a stab at it. We would strongly recommend Pompei and Herculaneum for days out, with a guide, as ours was very knowledgeable.

Room - we paid for a sea view room with a balcony and were not disappointed with number 12. The room was large with a full bathroom suite, hair dryer, safe, ample storage for your belongings in a wardrobe and chest of drawers. Maid service was daily and the room was always spotless. Yes, not many of the tv channels were in English, but why would you go all the way to Italy to watch tv?

Food - we were half board and ate like Kings. Breakfast is continental, with a large selection of pastries, breads, fresh fruit, cereal, toast etc. Dinner was excellent every night; watch what you order for starters though as they were often the same size as the main! The food was different every day; I had pork, veal, sea bass, chicken, beef etc. Dessert is buffet style and again, plenty on offer. The only evening we didn't quite enjoy as much was the buffet evening and that was purely due to a large German party descending like vultures, nothing to do with the food itself.

Service - the staff in this hotel are second to none. The reception staff were always helpful and attentive: they always greeted us as we went past. The restaurant staff go out of their way to remember your preferences and how you like your meat cooked, for example. Nino, the maitre'd, oversees the service perfectly. He would often stop for a little chat which we enjoyed. All of the waiting on staff were friendly, alert if you needed anything and we were told on more than occasion that nothing was too much trouble. You will be served quickly with little time between courses; this is not because they want you out of the way, you can stay in there as long as you like, it is just the nature of Italy; everything is fast paced and they like to serve you lots of food very quickly. It is the same if you eat out anywhere. Raffael behind the bar was also extremely pleasant and polite.

My mum unfortunately got a migraine on the second day and so I went down to dinner alone. All of the staff were concerned and asking about her health. Nino gave me some toast and honey to take up to the room for her and again, I was told that anything she needed would be no trouble at all.

I would not hesitate to return here and I hope the staff read this; we felt welcomed and thoroughly looked after the whole time, thank you.

And last but not least, thank you to Ciro and his strong arm for opening my wine ;)

• Stayed: May 2014
12  Thank StephieD9384
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

When booking this hotel the pictures, coupled with the location and free courtesy bus made it seem like a good option, it wasn't.
On first impressions of the lobby and bar area were that it seemed warm and welcoming, they had wifi available (although only downstairs) and the staff were friendly.
We had left England at 2 in the morning so decided to have a nap, we had three rooms between us, 2 at the back of the hotel with a view of a back alley, and when trying to sleep the noise was ridiculous ! I thought I had left the windows open but nope they were shut just extremely thin! After the awful nap I had a look around our room which was very dated, although I must say it was very clean. The bathroom was again dated with a tray shower and wrap around curtain which you ended up tangled in.
My dads room was quite literally a cell, a single bed with a table in a dark dingy room.
We had paid over £700 each for this, being unhappy I asked if we could switch rooms, the lady on reception (from the states) was pretty unhelpful, she seemed unwilling to help or listen to our complaints. Eventually they moved my room to one that was marginally better, but only offered my dad an identical room 1 floor up, which apparently would solve the noise problem! The only alternative was that he paid more for another room!
The restaurant and bar staff were delightful, but the food was bad we ate there twice and regretted it both times, although I will say they make a good mai tai!
The walls were like paper and we were frequently woken by new arrivals in the middle of the night.

Overall we were disappointed, we paid a lot of money for this holiday and whilst some aspects were nice they were massively outweighed by negatives, the rooms and the customer service of the one receptionists being the biggest of these !

I wouldn't return to this hotel, Sant Agata as a whole is lovely I would recommend a trip there.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Smyth90
Reviewed May 9, 2014

After having read all the reviews decided to give it a go. It's May and the weather was beautiful.The hotel has an Italian faded grandeur about it that modern Hotels cannot compete with. The lobbies were extremely large, comfortable and elegant. The staff were welcoming and very helpful. Our room was larger then any other Italian room we have had over the years a large bath,shower,robes and slippers were very welcome at the end of long sightseeing days. I would recommend public transport from Naples as the buses were not only regular but also cheap.10euros from the airport to Sorrento and 3 euros from Sorrento to the Hotel gates on the Sita bus. The views from the hotel were stunning and unlike other hotels this far up into the mountains there was plenty of excellent eateries in SA and a night life.....without being raucous. The only downside was that the beautiful pool is not heated..probably a god send at the height of summer and you had to pay for any English channels on the TV...who wants to watch TV on holiday though. Theres a free courtesy bus to Sorrento and a wide range of tours to Capri, Pompeii and Amalfi. For someone who's a safe package holiday person I would recommend you do this yourself. Excellent experience

Room Tip: Having read other reviews the only difference between the front and back was the sea view but our ba...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Debbie P
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed here for a week last October and it was all and more then what we expected. Yes, okay, some parts of the hotel could do with a freshening up, looking a little tired and dated, but it was clean and well cared for. The staff were a delight. Helpful, a tentative, they went out of their way to please, nothing was too much trouble... The room was of a good size (furniture rather dated) but all was spotlessly clean, well done housekeeping. The food was good, well presented, plentiful and very fresh. The restaurant service first class, thank you Nino....

Please be aware that the Hotel is situated in the hills above Sorrento (the views are incredible) in the village of Santa Agata above Sorrento and not in town of Sorrento. And although the hotel runs a free mini bus service into Sorrento, you do have to book it. However, the local bus stops right outside the hotel and is cheap and very regular. We are looking forward to our return visit and this time we shall be staying for much longer......

A must is a ride on the Little Road Train (20 euros) which you catch in the Village a short walk from the back of the hotel.... The little train takes you on a wonderful tour of the area details can be got from the hotel reception.

Room Tip: We had a Superior double with a balcony which had amazing sea views across the Bay of Naples and Ves...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ceejaylo
Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is an extremely late, late review as we stayed here in 2001 and then returned in 2004!! I've had to select April 2013 as date of travel as this is all the database will allow. We travelled in June and then in May - I remember it rained in May. This hotel is next to the village of Sant' Agata sui due Golfi and has a real traditional feel with rose petals on the ground on a Sunday.
On our first visit we stayed in a room high up in the hotel over looking the church bell tower. On our next visit we had a terrace. I can see from the website that the rooms have been refurbished although we had no complaints about the furnishings when we stayed.

We would go down to Sorrento in the courtesy bus during the day and walk around having a drink at the Piazza. I wanted to go back to see the Sorrento dogs one of whom had put on a lot of weight!!

We went to Positano on the bus - the Amalfi Coast is magnificent. We went to Pompei and Naples as well.

I was not disappointed with the food at the hotel and loved the service from the waiters.

When we went down the winding roads into town I could see all of the other hotels and thought we had made the right choice. Who would have thought there would be a village town behind our hotel? Sorrento is full of lemon trees so you must try the Pomada!!

This is the only hotel my husband and I have returned to again in our travels and I hope one day that I can muster the courage again to go as I have really bad vertigo!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank radi0head
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here whilst in Italy for a friends wedding. Fabulous hotel and a great break. Pool was quite cold though.
Lunch by the pool is a must but make sure you only order a club sandwich if you're hungry. It's an epic.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank TJ-1978-8791
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Grand Hotel Due Golfi
Grand Hotel Due Golfi
#1 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Romita
Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Ro...
#3 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
#5 of 47 in Massa Lubrense
Grand Hotel Aminta
Grand Hotel Aminta
#24 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Hotel Iaccarino? Share your experiences!