“Beautiful hotel in a gorgeous setting”

Hotel Oasi Olimpia Relais
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I recently stayed at Oasi Olimpia to attend the cooking classes, but arrived early to rest and just enjoy the hotel.
It is truly an oasis in the midst of a populated area 25 minutes from Sorrento. Once the summer estate of a wealthy German aristocrat, it has been refurbished and is a truly special place. The grounds are extensive with olive and lemon trees, lots of roses and other flowering bushes, a swimming pool and tennis court. Many little sitting areas are scattered around the grounds where you can enjoy the view or just sit and read. Perched high on a hill, you look down on the Bay of Naples on one side and the Bay of Salerno on the other.

My room was unusually large, beautifully furnished, had a big closet and a very comfortable king-size bed. There were long windows with tiny balconies, so you could step out and enjoy the view and the nice breeze. The bathroom in my room was small but adequate and everything was exceptionally clean.

Chef and Manager Carmen has made the dining famous and you can expect to have dishes typical of the area with an emphasis on fresh fish and pasta. The breakfast buffet is bountiful and is usually included in the room price. Although it was the middle of October, it was still warm enough to enjoy lunch outside under the pergola.

Carmen is a walking encyclopedia about the area and will gladly assist you with making plans for transportation, sightseeing, shopping or eating in the greater Sorrento area. She has many connections that will result in special service for you. It is a short walk down to the little town and you can take the bus from there to Sorrento where you can transfer to buses, trains or ferries to go to Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, Mt Vesuvius or Capri. Drive if you dare on these hilly roads (and many tourists do) but it is scary and requires a cool head to navigate the tight turns and narrow roads.

The cooking classes are fun and worthwhile. There are many ways to arrange these and can be accessed through booking agencies or directly with the hotel.

I was very happy at Oasi Olimpia and was sorry to leave.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad choice, but if it is important for you to have a bathtub check when...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank cathhall

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent 6 days at Oasi Olimpia in Chef Carmen's cooking school and the hotel is beyond compare. The location, views, accommodations, food and staff exceeded my expectations.
I was in the Sorrento suite and it was perfect in every detail. It's a short walk to the small town of Sant Agata, but a perfect location for day trips to the Amalfi coast, Capri or Sorrento. The surrounding is so peaceful and what breathtaking views!
For months I researched areas of Italy for a cooking vacation and I can't imagine any better place or teacher than Chef Carmen. Throughout my travels of Italy, this is my favorite - the local hosptality, dramatic scenery and flavors of the local cuisine cannot be matched anywhere in Italy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Oasi Olimpia Relais for the first 5 nights of our honeymoon and we can honestly say the hotel, the grounds and the staff were all excellent. Unfortunately it rained for the first three days but we still managed to get out and about and visit places which are easily accessible via the prompt bus service. As part of our experience we had to sample the cooking class hosted by Carmen. All I can say is it is so much fun as the method of teaching is so simple but you come away learning a lot about how to make simple dishes which taste amazing - authentic Italian cuisine in the heart of Italy! We will definitely be making our own gnocchi now!
The staff here were so friendly and did everything they could to make our stay as enjoyable as possible - nothing was ever too much effort. Thank you to Giovanni for bringing drinks and nibbles to us when we were around the lovely pool - sunbathing when the sun finally came out. A totally relaxing day.

Room Tip: The food at the hotel was lovely but we took a trip to the local restaurant of Don Alfonso which if...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne S
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We hired the Oasi exclusively for 3 nights so our wedding would be perfect; our family and friends joined us for the duration, and we are so pleased to say Carmen and Giovanni and ALL the staff made our special days purely wonderful. We have been to Oasi many times before and always knew it would be the place we would be blessed in, as we had got engaged there too. Everything was so well organised, the food and wine exceptional, rooms with views that few guests wanted to leave behind. If you are ever wondering where to go for the day, Carmen and Giovanni will be sure to help find something suitable. A visit to Oasi is not complete without meeting a very special Mia, the hotel dog! So, all in all, if you're looking for somewhere relaxing, fantastic food, great wine, excellent service, and a room with a view, then go stay at the Oasi. Simply the best villa by far. Well done Carmen, Giovanni and Salvatore'! And a huge thankyou for making yet another visit so perfect! Mcleans will be returning sometime soon. Xx

Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have just returned from the Hotel Oasi Olimpia. This was my fourth time I have taken a group of friends to this wonderful place. 3 were cooking vacation tours whereby we stayed for a week. Carmen, the chef, teaches authentic Neapolitan dishes with local and fresh ingredients. Carmen makes learning fun and easy. Recipes are given for the students to bring back home and replicate the dishes.The staff is so helpful and always ready to serve you. They are like family.
My recent visit was unfortunately only for 2 days. It was my first time in the summer and it was an amazing experience once again. It is a true oasis; away from the crowds of the Amalfi coast and close enough to organize excursions to Positano, Sorrento, Capri & so on. Situated on a mountain, with a breathtaking view of the 2 bays of Salerno and of Naples, on 5 acres of beautifully landscaped property, the air is fresh and crisp. Some of the features of being there in the summer are the the use of the swimming pool, the balconies in every lovely room, air conditioning, and above all the pleasure of eating the delicious food "al fresco". From the abundance of the breakfast buffet to the luscious dinners, it is a feast for the eyes.
I am already planning another visit for the spring of 2013. Can't wait!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gabrielle22
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I just returned from our cooking vacation at the Hotel Oasi Olimpia and it was absolutely fabulous. The hotel is charming and beautifully located in the mountains, with gorgeous views. Our rooms were very comfortable (we were in the Sorrento suite, our children in room 222) and the staff could not have been more welcoming and attentive. They all are warm, friendly and very professional. My husband, myself and our 2 children ages 15 and 24, all took the 6 day cooking course with Carmen. What an extraordinary experience. Carmen is an incredible chef and teacher with a passion for cooking and a personality to match. We made delicious dishes in an incredible kitchen from start to finish while singing and dancing to music. We then dined alfresco on their beautiful patio, and were served like royalty. Over the 6 days they arranged for some excursions (included in the price) to Capri, the Amalfi coast and some local attractions as well. We were with a few other people also doing the cooking courses and made wonderful new friends very quickly. My family has done considerable travel over the years and I have to say this was one of the best vacations we have taken.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackie L
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were invited to the Oasi for a wedding and the location was perfect. Tucked away in the hills but close enough to Sorrento if you fancy some nightlife. The rooms were lovely, airy and beautifully decorated with much needed a/c and Carmen and the rest of the staff were helpful and couldn't do more for you. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel Iaccarino
Hotel Iaccarino
#5 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Romita
Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Ro...
#2 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Hotel Sant'Agata
Hotel Sant'Agata
#3 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Bellevue Syrene
Bellevue Syrene
#4 of 100 in Sorrento
Hotel & Spa Francischiello Bellavista

Been to Hotel Oasi Olimpia Relais? Share your experiences!