“Mixed bag”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Trim
Belfast
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

The hotel itself was extremely beautiful. Upon arrival we were greeted not with pleasantries as expected but a drone mouthful of instructions with no smile or personality. The room was beautiful that we originally had. However there was a function on that night also and we were right above the function room. We live in a city centre apartment so we are used to some noise, but this was beyond that. We phoned at 1am to ask when the music would be over, and were informed 3am before the receptionist hung up, then I had to phone back myself to ask to be moved. We were moved to a room with two single beds that had not been properly cleaned.
Next day we were moved to our third room. When i went to take a shower, there were very questionable marks on the shower curtain that made me extremely uncomfortable and queasy. Apart from that the room was much the same as the first and quite pretty. That evening we went for a meal which was inclusive to the deal that we had booked. Service and quality of food left a lot to be expected. The waiter could not understand my accent despite the fact he was Irish and I was Irish which resulted in me receiving the wrong starter, We waited for a very long time for the nexrt course, which when it did come was not cooked as to requested and did not come with side order that we had ordered (which incidently they did not forget to charge for). We then had a drink in a very nice bar and retired to our room, at around 12 to hear yet more music coming from another function room that was now below us. We ordered breakfast in bed and instead of what we ordered, we both received a random mixture. After two nights lack of sleep it does benefit you to keep your wits about you on check out, as they tried to charge me for the meal that was inclusive, including the side order that did not arrive. On third attempt, I gave up after getting meal cleared from bill, but was still overcharged in comparison to what had been told at booking.
I have worked in the travel industry and I have travelled extensively with my partner, this was a birthday treat to me, and we chose the hotel as we believed that we would be provided with a luxurious, excellent standard. I was extremely disappointed to find that this was not the case. We were offered no compensatory room on the first night, I had to telephone myself to organise that, or else it would have never materialised, as the receptionist could not care less whether i could get to sleep or not, nor did we receive any form of apology on any of the occasions, even a smile would have sufficed at greeting.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GraceyH
RecepKB, General Manager at Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
Dear GraceyH,
Many thanks for your comments in relation to your stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our aim here at the Knightsbrook is to provide an excellent level of service at all times and unfortunately on this occassion we didnt achieve this. I hope that you will return to stay with us and give us the chance to show you how we have improved in these areas.
Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Regards, Patrick, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Co Meath
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed here in November 2009 on a Golden Years Special, but were also attending a wedding at the Hotel during our stay. Our first surprise was our room; we thought we'd been given a suite! It was enormous - with a king-size bed and a generous single bed too, a sofa to sprawl on, a table, two chairs...a balcony with stunning views across the countryside. Throw in a jacuzzi bath, separate shower, giant fluffy towels, robes, slippers, luxury bath and shower goodies,,,they really have thought of everything. Not for them the usual tea and coffee facilities; there were biscuits, chocs on our pillows, and bottles of sparkling water at the bedside.
However, all of the above were just cosmetic. The staff made this Hotel one we will return to again and again. Highly trained to watch a very full dining room for the merest turn of the head, they were instantly at your side if you required anything. There is a wonderful leisure centre, and a beauty spa. Again, staff in the spa simply could not do enough. I had booked a manicure and pedicure for the morning of the wedding. I was encouraged by the beautician to don a fluffy robe and slippers, and she had me lying down with a fragrant eye mask just for having my nails done!
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff; late check-outs, storing of luggage, room service...all beautifully done with smiles and real courtesy. There is also a superb golf course which happened to be closed while we were there; but we walked around part of the perimeter just to enjoy the views.

On checking out, I left a comment card at the desk, briefly outlining the above. to my delight, just before Christmas, I received a beautiful "thank-you" letter from the General Manager for my comments; now that is service! Too many hotels in Ireland employ staff who have no manners; who think that "service" means being servile, and resent the customer for being there....the Knightsbrook gets it right. This is what good service is all about.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
pcurran, manager at Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2010
This made my day , our Team work really hard here to get service right, so thank you for telling us.
kind regards Patrick GM
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 20, 2009

I visited the hotel for a one night getaway for my girlfriends birthday and we had a brilliant time, our suite was fantastic with a large terrace over looking the golf course.

After settling in she went off to the spa and me to the bar, the bar staff were great and were always over to offer a fresh drink when mine was running low. My girlfriend described the spa as the best she has been to and was thrilled with the service provided.

We had dinner in the Rococo Restaurant and the food and service was impeccable but I was very disappointed to see Foie Gras on the menu as it is an inhumane dish and always stops me recommending a restaurant to others.

The next morning we had a nice breakfast in bed before heading off after getting some advice on what to see in the area from reception, overall a lovely one night stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We read all the other reviews of this hotel before we went and we had high expectations especially of the service. How wrong to think like that. Service was very poor.

On our first night at the hotel we decided to meet friends in the bar and order food there. We were given 3 different menus to choose from however when I went to order I was told that there were now only serving from one menu (4 dishes) . I explained that the other members of our group had just ordered food from the other menus and were not told this. The waitress insisted that there was only one menu I could order from. The others from our group got their food. After 30 mins the same waitress came over to take our order and when we said we didnt fancy anything she then asked us what we had wanted as she would see what she could do!!!! Don't know why she couldnt have said this initially. So we finally got what we had wanted but an hour after we were told we couldnt have it.!!! When I went to pay the bill it was double what it should have been.(charged for someones elses food) I had to wait another 15 mins while another waitress tried to rectify the bill. It took this long because she continued to serve any customer at the bar including anyone who came in. At this stage I was ready to explode. There were plenty of staff but it appears there is no organisation. From ordering the food to paying for it I had to deal with 7 different staff members.

This kind of service was a common theme throughout our stay,except in the Roccoco restaurant were service was much better. Staff were generally slow to come to take orders for food, food coming at different times, cold food, no bills. To be honest I'd say they are losing huge amounts of money as their appears to be no organisation around bills. You are almost begging them to bring a bill so you can pay.

It is such a pity as hotel is nice, great facilites but if service does not improve they will struggle. I heard plenty of others complaining to staff!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
pcurran, manager at Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2009
many thanks for your comments , I am so sorry that your experience was not up to our normal standard. I will investigate and rectify these issues and hopefully you will return and see the changes we have made .
Thank you once again for the feedback, we have a great hotel and on the odd occassion I get it wrong.
regards Patrick
Dublin
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Arrived at the hotel in the early hours of the morning and was greeted by the night manager. We chatted for awhile, he organised a drink for us to our room and gave us a little showaround. Breakfast and service was excellent, we dined in the bar and the restaurant during our stay and again brilliant food and service. The hotel was spotless and the beds are so comfortable, We did not make the it onto the golf course but I will definitely return for a game, any excuse!! I loved the spa especially the thermal spa, so relaxing! Great leisure club too... Reception were great. Overall this hotel was without doubt the best value for money I have gotten in Ireland for some time...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We had our wedding reception in Knightsbrook in August 2009, we can not praise the hotel and the staff enough. The high level of personal service really makes Knightightsbrook an outstanding wedding venue. Every member of staff went out of their way to make our wedding day so special.

We had chosen Knightsbrook for our wedding reception because of its excellent facilities and location and it did not disappoint. Our guests were extremely impressed with the hotel and its facilities and like us were struck by how welcoming and helpful the hotel staff were.

Our wedding breakfast was delicious and many of our guest commented on how it was superior to any meal they had had at a wedding in the past. Every aspect of our day was perfect and we would highly recommend Knightsbrook as a Wedding venue.

• Stayed August 2009
pcurran, manager at Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
regards Patrick
ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Spent last weekend at the Knightsbrook with friends and have to say the place was amazing. from the minute you walk in the surroundings are stunning and the staff so welcoming and friendly.

the hotel seemed to be full all weekend and there was parties and celebrations going on in all areas from restaurant, weddings, bars and seemed meeting rooms as well.

Spent sat afternoon in the spa, they'd loads of special offers to pick and choose. dinner in rest sat night, we ate in bar friday night cos we all arrived at different times. food excellent in both areas.
Have to say, we will definitely be back. couldnt fault the place. well done to all in the knightsbrook, certainly made our weekend.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trim
Trim Castle Hotel
#1 of 4 in Navan
Newgrange Hotel
Newgrange Hotel
#2 of 4 in Navan

Been to Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!