“Can't wait to go back to Tara and Trim!”
Review of Trim Castle Hotel

Trim Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Trim
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We booked a break with Stena line wanting to explore the historical sites of the Boyne valley and found ourselves just across the road from one of the best. The Trim Castle Hotel faces the Anglo -Norman castle and the view from its roof top terrace of the sun setting over the ancient walls is one of the most breathtaking I have ever seen. Although a modern building, the front of the hotel blends in well with its surroundings while the rooms are spacious ,clean and comfortable with a very good breakfast included and the staff courteous and helpful.We went midweek which was peaceful.[Not sure that weekend with wedding parties etc would be so good] The one weak spot was the quality of meals served in the bar. My duck had either marched with Hannibal or been
twice through the oven and the chips were tasteless- however we had a very enjoyable early bird meal at the Italian restaurant across the street[La Scala].
Don't miss the river walk to the ruins of St Peter and Paul Cathedral. The burial chambers at Knowth and Newgrange were the best we've ever seen and the visitors centre for the Battle of the Boyne is highly informative and very well laid out plus a very welcome Tea Pavilion. Not all the sites are clearly signposted once off the motorway. You do need to keep your eyes peeled. We ran out of time before getting to see the hill of Tara which was high on the list. which gives us the excuse we need to make a return visit,[The cost of the break for a car and two adults Holyhead-Dun Laoghaire plus three nights B&B at the Trim Castle Hotel was £268 which we felt was excellent value for money, We 'll certainly do it again]

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights - April 3rd-5th, 2010. Nice location hotel, clean with friendly staff. When I made my reservation, I asked for a double bed & not "two single beds pushed together". I was assured that all rooms had king size beds. Upon arrival to our room, we found that the bed was exactly what we didn't want - 2 singles pushed together. I spoke with a girl in reservations, who told me that the hotel was fully booked & would be unable to change room. Fair enough, but I had made our booking a few weeks prior to our break.

Subsequently, I wrote a letter to Noel Comer (GM) & posted this on April 8th. I've yet to receive an acknowledgement.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
braveh, General Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2010

Dear Hoffey
Thank you for your comments regarding the Hotel and staff I am sorry that we could not provide you with your room type request, on this occasion.I have acknowledged this in writing to you personally and hope that we can make amends in the future.

Reviewed April 25, 2010

We didn’t stay in this hotel; we stayed at the Knightsbrook Hotel, 1 mile away. Having had a meal at the Knightsbrook the night before, which was not good, we decided to search a place during the next day and found a great menu and super price at this hotel. So we booked a table in this hotels restaurant called Jules and returned to our hotel to get ready for the evening. On return the restaurant was very quiet and we wondered if it was going to be the right place, but wow, was it ever. The waiter was just amazing, his name was Thomas Dettlaft or Deftlaft, he was polish and just incredible. He was very polite and accommodating and funny in a kind of X-Factor way. He made us feel like we were a King and a Queen for the evening. We don’t really like fake hospitality but this guy never put a foot wrong all evening and was completely genuine, a very family kind of guy, his Craig was great. He got everything right even when I expected he might not have heard me right. So on to the food. He presented some amazing and beautifully presented food including a sirloin steak that resembled the best fillet we had eaten in Ireland. OK we where one of only a few customers that evening because a large booking was cancelled last minute but I mean this was just one of the nicest meals we ever had and for very little money for such amazing service. We paid 25 euro per person for a 5 course Table Dote menu, incredible value. I Really can recommend this place if Thomas and whoever that Chef was that evening, he was the main Chef I know that so according to their website it is Sean McDonald. Just brilliant.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
braveh, General Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2010

Dear Truthabout,
Thank you for your review of Jules Restaurant.I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us and your comments have been passed on to the team.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed at this hotel last weekend for one night.There was a large wedding on but it was held on the first floor and it didnt affect our comfort and enjoyment.The bedroom was nice and spotlessly clean, if not overly large.We enjoyed our dinner in the restaurant and found the staff to be friendly and efficent.The bar has a lovely view of Trim Castle and had trad music on which was good crack.
We had not intended to stay here but liked the feel of the place having only stopped for coffee.
Tip... Haggle with the manager and you will get a good rate!

Reviewed April 9, 2010

I went to Trim with my family last weekend to the Balloon Fiesta and stayed at Trim Castle Hotel. We arrived on the Saturday and checked into a very busy hotel but with a very nice atmosphere. the room we checked into was very nice and bright, overlooking the castle and had plenty of space for an extra bed for the children. we spent most of the day taking in the sights of Trim and enjoying all the activities at the Fiesta. The reception staff were very helpful in providing information on things to do.We had dinner in the hotel that evening and although the hotel was still extremely busy, all the staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was gorgeous. the children loved the bar staff giving them colouring books during the meal which kept them nice and busy. overall the hotel was great and all the staff were very nice and friendly, even though there were huge crowds in the hotel. i will definately return to Trim Castle Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Stopped by Trim Castle Hotel for an evening meal with four other friends and was absolutely appalled by the lack of customer service. Firstly it took 15 minutes for our server even to approach us with menu's, after placing our orders it took a further 20 minutes for our drinks to arrive followed by another 30 minute wait for our food to arrive. When it did arrive it was cold and one of the main courses did not come out. We were told it would just be a minute however by the time it appeared the people in our group that had got their meal were finished eating. We were all extremely disappointed. We asked to speak to the manager and after waiting a half an hour for him we were told he was too busy to speak with us. I certainly wont be returning to Trim Castle hotel and unless you want a two hour wait for cold overpriced food and no customer service I advise anyone reading this to consider somewhere else in Trim to eat.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Manddill
braveh, Noel Comer General Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

Dear Manddill
Thank you for your comments and i apoligise for the breakdown in service standards on the evening of your visit,as we have corrected the points you mentioned i hope we welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

I attended the hotel for a friends wedding in December. The wedding was a great day. The following morning we were woken around 8am by loud banging noises which lasted for a good 10 mins. Then we had ordered breakfast in bed it arrived without milk butter and the fry was cold. The staff were too busy talking to one another to be concerned with a customer. I emailed the Hotel about the problems I had but I didn't even get an aknowledgement email back NO Customer Service. I definitly will not be returning to the Trim Castle Hotel which is a shame because it is such a nice area.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmandaLouth_Ireland
braveh, Noel Comer General Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2010

Dear AmandaLouth_Ireland
I apoligise for the difficulties you experienced on your visit with us.We have ,without success, tried to locate your email to us regarding this.
I am glad however that you enjoyed the wedding.
Noel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Trim
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
Newgrange Hotel
Newgrange Hotel
#2 of 4 in Navan
The Johnstown Estate Hotel

Been to Trim Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!