“Disappointing for a wedding venue”
Review of Trim Castle Hotel

Trim Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Trim
Dublin, Ireland
“Disappointing for a wedding venue”
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband attended a family wedding here and had been looking forward to having a nice break away from the kids so we decided to stay over.I had been in the hotel many times for lunch and coffees and was always impressed so I suppose I did have high enough expectations.On arrival at the reception,there were 2 girls who I must say were very unenthusiastic ,there wasn't anyone else checking in but I felt the young girl who ended up checking us in just wanted us out of the way as quickly as possible.She mentioned that the car park must be paid for, I think it was €3 extra and asked to take it on top of payment for the room.I didn't mind this at all.The wedding was quite lavish,no expense seemed to have been spared.The wedding guests spent some time in the tea/coffee reception area before the actual meal where there was a variety of nibbles provided by the bridal party.The food was delicious I must say but the service was pretty bad.Where we were seated,there were a group of around 6-8 of us at times and we were sat at the table for about 2 hours I would guess, but not once did anyone come to clear plates or glasses during this time.When we went in for our meal it just seemed that the staff could not cope with the volume of guests.Little things like there was no water at the table and when I asked one of the guys for more,he replied"yes it's coming in a minute" he was flustered .There always seemed to be someone missing a starter ,main course and I had to ask where my desert was.These are all little things I know but generally I think there wasn't enough care taken to ensure guests were satisfied.At one stage, a lady came to our table asked one person did they want any extra veg or whatever and walked away as quick, without asking the rest of the table .Like anyone Im sure, We have been to many weddings over the years and this wedding was probably one of the more plush .I would say the bill would have been huge for the bride and groom the next morning , but it was definitely the most disappointing.Ive never heard so many people complain about the service either, you know ladies chatting in the bathrooms/etc.I wouldn't have any reason to return to the hotel other than it is nice for lunch or to meet up for a coffee,oh and the gift shop is worth a look!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank nemo1234186605
NoelComer, General Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear nemo1234186605

Naturally we are disappointed that you did not enjoy the Wedding you attended here recently. We very much appreciate your feedback and although we have received nothing but positive comments from our Weddings here recently, I will look into the issues you have highlighted.

Kind Regards

Noel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

i was at a friends wedding in the trim castle hotel and what can i say fantastic lovely surrounding with great views beautiful hotel and great food thumbs up from me the room are so luxury and i felt very comfortable its very big and cosy

• Stayed December 2013
Dear johnhowsoonisnow

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed the wedding and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked Christmas Eve at Trim Castle Hotel, as my Daughter was singing in the lounge that night, so we decided to stay overnight - there was a Wedding, and we saw quite a long queue at Reception, and as we both use walking sticks, a gentleman who obviously worked at the Hotel, came over and asked our names, so he went and checked us in so quickly. We were looking forward to a lovely evening, but unfortunately I took ill and we had to go home (home is in the same town, but we love the hotel!!) When we had to check out the very kind receptionist agreed without hesitation that we could pass on the room to my Daughter, so we were at no loss. I just want to say that the Staff at the Hotel have always treated us with respect and kindness, and the Hotel itself is really worth staying at. We look forward to 2 more stays there in March, and hope that health will permit us to enjoy them. See you soon again, and thanks.

Room Tip: Can recommend Rooms 218, and 215.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sheila93
Dear Sheila93

We were delighted to welcome you back to Trim Castle Hotel. Many thanks for your kind comments, which I will pass on to the rest of the Team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Nice modern hotel with very friendly staff and right in the heart of Trim, in a lovely setting right next to the castle. would recommend staying here for any occasion.
As it happened I stayed here for a friends wedding and the wedding couple were very happy with their experience as were all their guests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear alangod

I am delighted that you enjoyed the Wedding you attended here recently. Thank you for your kind comments and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night at this fabulous hotel in Trim. Room was massive and beautifully decorated. Super king size bed. Room had everything we needed. As added bonus we had the most amazing view of Trim Castle. Breakfast included in rate. Good selection of cooked foods. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BerncOn

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to Trim Castle Hotel and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding this weekend.
Check in was smooth and easy very good frot office team. We booked a Castle View room - View was absolutely fantastic. Very clean, very big and had everything you would expect.
The wedding itself was very well organised and very well executed. Pre-dinner reception was great, staff courteous and friendly. The meal was fantastic, again the banquet team are on the ball.
The only failing of the hotel was the night manager, I asked if they had toothpaste and while a polite no would have sufficed he was instead extremely rude in his response. Not a huge issue but notable nonetheless.

I would have no qualms about recommending this hotel to anybody, for a wedding or just for a weekend away!

Room Tip: Go for the castle view rooms!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RMullins87
Dear RMullins87

Thank you for your recommendation, we are delighted that you enjoyed the wedding.Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dublin
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My sister and I stayed this week in Trim Castle Hotel. The hotel is situated directly opposite the famous Trim Castle which, in itself, is a bonus. There is a car park behind the hotel and also an underground one, which is the one we used, and there was plenty of room. The lady on Reception was friendly and efficient and we were in our room in double-quick time. The room was ordinary hotel standard...nothing elaborate or special...warm and pleasant, and the twin beds (requested) were comfortable. All the normal facilities were there - tea/coffee making stuff, safe, good T.V. etc. Everything was clean and shining. The en-suite was good - nice towels and basic toiletries and lashings of lovely hot water. The shower in our room (212) was over-bath type, and my personal preference would be for a 'walk-in', but I had not made that request.

We had delicious soup with their homemade brown bread in the Cafe to the right just inside the door. There was a delightful girl dealing with us there who told us that we could buy a loaf of the bread to take home if we wished. (We did that next day and enjoyed it at home.) To the left side inside the door is the Kilkenny Shop, well-known in Ireland for its varied and wonderful stock - well worth a visit.

We had dinner in the Pub Lounge (overlooking the Castle) - my steak was good and my sister enjoyed her turkey dish. The Pavlova was really nice too. There were quite a good many people dining there that evening - many of whom were not actually staying in the hotel.

Breakfast was in the Main Diningroom and was really good. It was made to order (I mean not self-service, as they were not very busy) and we were served by a very pleasant young lady from the Czech Republic who went out of her way to make sure that everything was to our
liking. The morning newspapers were there for our use also.

The car park ticket will be verified any time you want to take your car and come back, and, of course, when leaving altogether, so that you have not to pay for parking. Remember to get that done at Reception.

We would undoubtedly use this hotel again when in the Trim area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
NoelComer, General Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear judyjoycethejoker

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I appreciate your kind comments.

Noel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trim
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Navan
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to Trim Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!