“Groupon Spa/Afternoon Tea Deal”

Headfort Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kells
Slane, Ireland
“Groupon Spa/Afternoon Tea Deal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is a review of a Groupon (or Grabone?) Afternoon Tea and Spa deal rather than a hotel stay. The staff I encountered were all very nice, but it's very much a "country" hotel and not really suitable to a spa day. We were brought upstairs to a tiny spa area, in to a treatment room, received our treatment (mine was a bit rough), then told to go downstairs for our afternoon tea to the lounge. No relaxation area, robes, etc. It was lunchtime, mad busy, and we couldn't get near the bar to ask where we should go. Finally found Theresa in the cafe, and she had a table reserved, so we sat in the pub having our afternoon tea (four sandwiches - 2 x ham, 2 x salad, two scones, two fairy cakes), and sparkling wine. Service was slow because there was a funeral and they needed to wait until it "died down" (no pun intended). Unfortunately the price is equivalent to a more exclusive spa experience, so I'd recommend going elsewhere where the spa is more self-contained, where you get robes and showers, and where you're not sitting in a pub at the end of your treatment. We were out of the place in two hours; not good value for €89.

2 Thank Notmyrealname32
Olivia D, Owner at Headfort Arms Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Many thanks for your constructive feedback which we appreciate. We do hope that the 'Afternoon offer' which was an online sale represented good value at a 67% discount including three treatments at the Spa. We are sorry if you felt rushed, our tranquility suites are supposed to offer just that and in general we receive very positive feedback in terms of value. In relation to your three tier afternoon tea, there was little we could unfortunately do with reference to a funeral gathering coming into the Heafort Lounge, it is one of those things but I know that Martina did offer you a second glass of prosecco with strawberries and I hope this was viewed as some compensation for the disruption, we do hope that you will return and take advantage maybe next time of our beautiful gardens in the sunmer time for tea, kind regards, Olivia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Kilkenny, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

This Hotel, just like many other 3 Star Hotels in Ireland right now is badly in need of a make-over.
I stayed overnight in Room 310 & although the Food was excellent and the Staff were really friendly, that's where the good times ended.
In my Room for the night, the Sink in the Bathroom was badly cracked. There was a piece of the Sideboard / Work Area broken clean off and the Reading Lamp on the same Sideboard didn't work. The Furniture was distinctly tired & jaded looking with Tea / Coffee stains permanently embedded everywhere. I would guess that the Furniture has never been refreshed over the Years. The Walls had scuff marks everywhere which told me that the Owners are not even willing to invest in Paint to try and freshen the place up a bit. The white door-frame leading to the Bathroom clearly had Lipstick stains from a previous Guest, so this told me that their Housekeeping don't pay enough attention to detail. Finally, and perhaps not as big a deal, yet annoying all the same, the reception on the TV was the worst i have seen since the days of the "Rabbitt's Ears". I also have my suspicions as to the reliability of their WiFi as the Receptionist instructed me upon check-in to go outside my Room & open the Fire-Doors in the corridor if the WiFi wasn't working and that should improve the signal. When i heard that, i thought that I had gone back in time. Sure enough, when checking out the next morning, the only question she had for me was, "well, did the WiFi work ok for you". No mention of whether or not I enjoyed my stay. Well, seeing as she doesn't deem that question to be an important one, I will answer it now. Clearly this Hotel are living on their former glory of achieving a 3 Star status, but I have no doubt that if they were reviewed again by the relevant authority, that 3 Star rating would be in jeopardy. The only way I would stay here again is if I heard they had carried out a re-fit / make-over to restore their accommodation to 3 Star standard which right now it clearly is not. Incidentally, I have added Photos of the Room

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank dabudgetmix
Many thanks for your constructive feedback which is very much appreciated. We were disappointed to know of your experience and take it very seriously. As Winner of the Best Three Star hotel in Ireland we are constantly reinvesting in our product. Also as a family run and managed hotel we take feedback personally and consistently strive to reinvent, improve and renovate. We have taken your feedback on board and as part of our pre high season preparations all rooms have been repainted, repairs carried out and new items installed as part of our ethos of continuously improving. WIFI has also been looked at and fully functionning and free of charge in all areas of the hotel, Yours Sincerely, Olivia
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Couldn't fault this hotel, located beside two fantastic golf courses. Staff were fantastic, the room was comfortable and modern, the bar food was great and reasonably priced ,would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ilpd
Olivia D, Owner at Headfort Arms Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, we are delighted that you enjoyed your golfing break, we are very fortunate to be right beside two of Irelands best golf courses and to have such a wonderful working relationship with Headfort Golf Club. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, kind regards, Olivia
Donegal Town, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

So much to say about this hotel I don’t know where to begin so here it goes!
I stayed here on March 22nd for my Hen night along with 12 other girls. We knew even before we stepped foot in the hotel that we were going to be looked after. We booked shortly before Christmas and even from then we could tell how genuinely helpful all the staff were going to be. From ringing up with deposits, to arranging times for our activities, looking for recommendations for hairdressers and forever changing rooming lists, nothing was too much trouble for the staff.
We arrived to our hotel 11:30AM , and am sure from the moment we walked in the hotel must have thought we were staying for a month, we had that much luggage! Not to mention a (rude!) cake and loads of (rude!) cup cakes! We got checked in very swiftly and the Manager on duty, Adele give us a warm welcome and advised us to go to our rooms to get freshened up and she would meet us in the bar to give us a briefing of the day’s events. We checked into our rooms (which were exactly what we asked for, some 3, 2 & 4 bed rooms), they were excellent; clean, bright, airy and loads of room for all that luggage! We came back to the bar where again we were warmly greeted by Adele & all the staff, but mostly importantly there was Champagne & finger food!! The hotel was so accommodating, there were 3 vegetarians in our group and it was no bother at all to bring out veggie Panini’s/wraps for them. Adele brought us through the itinerary for the day, again everything was so flexible for us, and they totally worked around us if we needed times changed etc. Our activity was Causey Farm (which was excellent – look out for my review on this also), the hotel had a bus arranged for us to get to & from the farm and were again so accommodating to us coming back covered in muck & bog, the only thing they asked was for us was to hose down our willies, but they were so used to it so told us not to worry which meant we could go all out at the farm & not have to worry about getting to dirty!
We arrived back at the hotel after 3 hours at the farm, covered in bog and god knows what else! It was a quick dash to the hairdressers (we went to Silks across the road – very handy for the hotel and Charlene & all the staff where brilliant and great crack!) Once we got back to the hotel it was all about getting cleaned up and getting ready for our night out in the “Live/Vibe” night club which is attached to the hotel. There was plenty shower caps etc in the ensuite bath rooms, so again the hotel is obviously so used to hens and know what they need!
Once we were cleaned up & looking half decent it was time for dinner! We arrived down for dinner to be told we were given a private room for our group which was really lovely. The staff had decorated our table with loads of special touches that the girls had gathered for me, photos of myself and my Fiancé where used as the place settings. The manager on duty at this stage was Joanne, again she was just brilliant and so flexible to our every need. Dinner was just first class, a beautiful set menu which - I to be honest expected very little choice but it had loads of choice and options for everyone including the Vegetarians! The staff where so attentive, and one even noticed that one girl was not eating much (purely because she had enough earlier in the day) and offered to make bring her an alternative instead. We had a waitress taking drinks orders as well so that was handy that we didn’t have to leave the table! The food was gorgeous. The hotel had lively music on to get us going and in the mood for our night out. After main course the hotel turned the music off (not that I even noticed to be honest!) the reason they turned it off was because my Fiancé had recorded a beautiful audio message for me, again this is another example of how accommodating (apologies I seem to be using that word so much – but its true!) the hotel was for us. After desert my cake & cupcakes were presented to me with sparklers in it and the staff got a good laugh out of it and plenty of pictures! The fabulous manager Joanne then asked us to leave the dinner table and go to the adjoining room for a picture. That room was fab (I believe its where the weddings take place) Joanne got a brilliant photo of all of us against a fairy light back drop. Joanne was so funny and chatted away to us as if she knew us for years and she was always checking that we were happy and if there was anything we needed she give me loads of wee tips and ideas for the wedding day as well and she just made everything so personal it was so lovely! We were then finishing off our drinks etc when Joanne came back & presented me with the photo she took of us earlier, along with a wee note from her and the rest of the staff, I just thought that was so good, totally not expected, it’s a lovely photo as well, probably the best one we have from the whole weekend!
After dinner we went to the Keltic bar (next door) & then the night club which is attached to the hotel (again soo handy!) In the night club, the hotel had a VIP area reserved for us and then out comes waitresses with bottles of champagne with big sparklers attached to them. We danced the night away & had great fun with all the locals. The following morning breakfast did not disappoint again another great menu; Full Irish Fry, Omelets, pancakes, cereals etc! We ate plenty and again Joanne was there to make sure we were happy with all and if we needed anything.
Another thing I noticed was that any hens/groups of girls where all kept on the one floor/corridor, this so well organized by the hotel to ensure we didn’t interrupt with the rest of the guests.
Even though the hotel had at least one other hen staying the same night as me, I have to say I felt like I was the only one there, they made everything so special as if I was the only hen they ever had! I just felt like a million dollars! I was completely over whelmed by their kindness and the way they made me feel so special on the day & night. Everyone on my group commented on this, & that they were never on a hen that was treated so well.
I have been raving about this hotel, the service & the whole experience to anyone that would listen since we got back so much so that my Fiancé said he has to go down to it to see what the ‘fuss’ is about! So Joanne, Adele & staff be assured that you will be seeing us again once we have the big day over us! Thanks again for everything, from start to finish it was just first class, I am already looking forward to our return trip!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Clairekane86
tyrone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Having worked in the hospitality industry for 17years, and now lecture in food service, I cannot do enough to recommend this hotel? I have just returned from a fabulous hen week end at the headfort arms. 13 of us travelled from donegal and stayed for 1 night at the hotel.
The hotel is excellent, perfect location, clean, and modern.
The staff are outstanding!! Nothing is any trouble and all the staff go out of their way to help, they make you feel so welcome and take the time to get to know all the group. The managers on duty both on sat day, night and sun morning were exceptional!
Food was amazing, our dinner on sat night was simply perfect, and breakfast was the best I have seen in a long time! Freshly cooked and brought from the kitchen to your table!
This is a first class hotel, and deserves every award and recognition possible! To all the staff at the headfort, thank you so much for making the week end perfect!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank newlove
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed in the Headfort Arms Hotel in early March 2014. Staff were so friendly and accommodating. There wasnt one of them that you could fault. The room was very nicely presented/decorated, a good size bathroom and controllable heating! The food was a complete surprise, really tasty and very nicely presented (and I'm vegetarian .. not a lettuce leaf nor dried up noodle in sight!). Like the way they offered complementary spring water or sparkling water on the house. I wasnt keen to stay in the Headfort Arms. I'd expected a run down, cabbage smelling, grumpy staff, grubby bar, tables stacked high with dirty dinner plates, suspicious serviettes on the floor, you know the sort of place. Headfort Arms is anthing but this. Top Marks all round from me. And Thank You.

Room Tip: I expect a room to the back of the hotel might be quieter than the front. The front faces out onto t...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Before we head off on honeymoon we just want to say a big thank you to you and all the staff at The Headfort Arms. From the very first day we looked at your hotel we have been looked after to the highest standard.
Firstly, we have to thank Edel who to be honest was the reason we chose The Headfort Arms. On our initial meeting she was so accommodating and made us feel like we would be looked after on our big day. She has always been on the other end of the phone for us and has been extremely helpful in the planning of our day. The level of service we received from her was second to none and she is without doubt a great asset to your team. She gave us the utmost confidence that our day would go without a hitch (which it did). We cannot thank her enough for all the hard work, support and advice she has given us over the past year.
All the girls at reception were extremely helpful every time we called in. They always had something nice to say to us and were ran a very efficient ‘lost and found’ when our guests mislaid phones, sat navs and all sorts. Everyone commented on how friendly and helpful they were, Suzanne and Caroline in particular. The day before the wedding Larry who was just passing through reception helped us with our cake no questions asked. The attitude of your staff on a whole is top class.
The waiting staff in the Kenlis were extremely efficient but very friendly at the same time, this was noticed by all our guests. This also helped to create the warm friendly atmosphere we were looking for. The food was absolutely delicious and served piping hot. Our guest w
Your slogan is let one family look after another and never a truer word has been spoken. We most definitely felt looked after from the second we began to deal with your hotel. We are so glad that we had chosen the Headfort Arms as our wedding venue and have already recommended you to several of our engaged friends.
So thank you, a bug heartfelt thank you to one and all in the Headfort Arms who made this weekend absolutely superb, we really appreciate it.

Warm regards,
Ruairi & Aoife O’Reilly

Room Tip: Don't think about it - just book you won't regret it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kells
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,238 reviews
Lakeside Manor Hotel
Lakeside Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Virginia

Been to Headfort Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!