“Fantastic from start to finish!”

Headfort Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kells
Donegal Town, Ireland
“Fantastic from start to finish!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

So much to say about this hotel I don’t know where to begin so here it goes!
I stayed here on March 22nd for my Hen night along with 12 other girls. We knew even before we stepped foot in the hotel that we were going to be looked after. We booked shortly before Christmas and even from then we could tell how genuinely helpful all the staff were going to be. From ringing up with deposits, to arranging times for our activities, looking for recommendations for hairdressers and forever changing rooming lists, nothing was too much trouble for the staff.
We arrived to our hotel 11:30AM , and am sure from the moment we walked in the hotel must have thought we were staying for a month, we had that much luggage! Not to mention a (rude!) cake and loads of (rude!) cup cakes! We got checked in very swiftly and the Manager on duty, Adele give us a warm welcome and advised us to go to our rooms to get freshened up and she would meet us in the bar to give us a briefing of the day’s events. We checked into our rooms (which were exactly what we asked for, some 3, 2 & 4 bed rooms), they were excellent; clean, bright, airy and loads of room for all that luggage! We came back to the bar where again we were warmly greeted by Adele & all the staff, but mostly importantly there was Champagne & finger food!! The hotel was so accommodating, there were 3 vegetarians in our group and it was no bother at all to bring out veggie Panini’s/wraps for them. Adele brought us through the itinerary for the day, again everything was so flexible for us, and they totally worked around us if we needed times changed etc. Our activity was Causey Farm (which was excellent – look out for my review on this also), the hotel had a bus arranged for us to get to & from the farm and were again so accommodating to us coming back covered in muck & bog, the only thing they asked was for us was to hose down our willies, but they were so used to it so told us not to worry which meant we could go all out at the farm & not have to worry about getting to dirty!
We arrived back at the hotel after 3 hours at the farm, covered in bog and god knows what else! It was a quick dash to the hairdressers (we went to Silks across the road – very handy for the hotel and Charlene & all the staff where brilliant and great crack!) Once we got back to the hotel it was all about getting cleaned up and getting ready for our night out in the “Live/Vibe” night club which is attached to the hotel. There was plenty shower caps etc in the ensuite bath rooms, so again the hotel is obviously so used to hens and know what they need!
Once we were cleaned up & looking half decent it was time for dinner! We arrived down for dinner to be told we were given a private room for our group which was really lovely. The staff had decorated our table with loads of special touches that the girls had gathered for me, photos of myself and my Fiancé where used as the place settings. The manager on duty at this stage was Joanne, again she was just brilliant and so flexible to our every need. Dinner was just first class, a beautiful set menu which - I to be honest expected very little choice but it had loads of choice and options for everyone including the Vegetarians! The staff where so attentive, and one even noticed that one girl was not eating much (purely because she had enough earlier in the day) and offered to make bring her an alternative instead. We had a waitress taking drinks orders as well so that was handy that we didn’t have to leave the table! The food was gorgeous. The hotel had lively music on to get us going and in the mood for our night out. After main course the hotel turned the music off (not that I even noticed to be honest!) the reason they turned it off was because my Fiancé had recorded a beautiful audio message for me, again this is another example of how accommodating (apologies I seem to be using that word so much – but its true!) the hotel was for us. After desert my cake & cupcakes were presented to me with sparklers in it and the staff got a good laugh out of it and plenty of pictures! The fabulous manager Joanne then asked us to leave the dinner table and go to the adjoining room for a picture. That room was fab (I believe its where the weddings take place) Joanne got a brilliant photo of all of us against a fairy light back drop. Joanne was so funny and chatted away to us as if she knew us for years and she was always checking that we were happy and if there was anything we needed she give me loads of wee tips and ideas for the wedding day as well and she just made everything so personal it was so lovely! We were then finishing off our drinks etc when Joanne came back & presented me with the photo she took of us earlier, along with a wee note from her and the rest of the staff, I just thought that was so good, totally not expected, it’s a lovely photo as well, probably the best one we have from the whole weekend!
After dinner we went to the Keltic bar (next door) & then the night club which is attached to the hotel (again soo handy!) In the night club, the hotel had a VIP area reserved for us and then out comes waitresses with bottles of champagne with big sparklers attached to them. We danced the night away & had great fun with all the locals. The following morning breakfast did not disappoint again another great menu; Full Irish Fry, Omelets, pancakes, cereals etc! We ate plenty and again Joanne was there to make sure we were happy with all and if we needed anything.
Another thing I noticed was that any hens/groups of girls where all kept on the one floor/corridor, this so well organized by the hotel to ensure we didn’t interrupt with the rest of the guests.
Even though the hotel had at least one other hen staying the same night as me, I have to say I felt like I was the only one there, they made everything so special as if I was the only hen they ever had! I just felt like a million dollars! I was completely over whelmed by their kindness and the way they made me feel so special on the day & night. Everyone on my group commented on this, & that they were never on a hen that was treated so well.
I have been raving about this hotel, the service & the whole experience to anyone that would listen since we got back so much so that my Fiancé said he has to go down to it to see what the ‘fuss’ is about! So Joanne, Adele & staff be assured that you will be seeing us again once we have the big day over us! Thanks again for everything, from start to finish it was just first class, I am already looking forward to our return trip!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Clairekane86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
tyrone
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Having worked in the hospitality industry for 17years, and now lecture in food service, I cannot do enough to recommend this hotel? I have just returned from a fabulous hen week end at the headfort arms. 13 of us travelled from donegal and stayed for 1 night at the hotel.
The hotel is excellent, perfect location, clean, and modern.
The staff are outstanding!! Nothing is any trouble and all the staff go out of their way to help, they make you feel so welcome and take the time to get to know all the group. The managers on duty both on sat day, night and sun morning were exceptional!
Food was amazing, our dinner on sat night was simply perfect, and breakfast was the best I have seen in a long time! Freshly cooked and brought from the kitchen to your table!
This is a first class hotel, and deserves every award and recognition possible! To all the staff at the headfort, thank you so much for making the week end perfect!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank newlove
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed in the Headfort Arms Hotel in early March 2014. Staff were so friendly and accommodating. There wasnt one of them that you could fault. The room was very nicely presented/decorated, a good size bathroom and controllable heating! The food was a complete surprise, really tasty and very nicely presented (and I'm vegetarian .. not a lettuce leaf nor dried up noodle in sight!). Like the way they offered complementary spring water or sparkling water on the house. I wasnt keen to stay in the Headfort Arms. I'd expected a run down, cabbage smelling, grumpy staff, grubby bar, tables stacked high with dirty dinner plates, suspicious serviettes on the floor, you know the sort of place. Headfort Arms is anthing but this. Top Marks all round from me. And Thank You.

Room Tip: I expect a room to the back of the hotel might be quieter than the front. The front faces out onto t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Before we head off on honeymoon we just want to say a big thank you to you and all the staff at The Headfort Arms. From the very first day we looked at your hotel we have been looked after to the highest standard.
Firstly, we have to thank Edel who to be honest was the reason we chose The Headfort Arms. On our initial meeting she was so accommodating and made us feel like we would be looked after on our big day. She has always been on the other end of the phone for us and has been extremely helpful in the planning of our day. The level of service we received from her was second to none and she is without doubt a great asset to your team. She gave us the utmost confidence that our day would go without a hitch (which it did). We cannot thank her enough for all the hard work, support and advice she has given us over the past year.
All the girls at reception were extremely helpful every time we called in. They always had something nice to say to us and were ran a very efficient ‘lost and found’ when our guests mislaid phones, sat navs and all sorts. Everyone commented on how friendly and helpful they were, Suzanne and Caroline in particular. The day before the wedding Larry who was just passing through reception helped us with our cake no questions asked. The attitude of your staff on a whole is top class.
The waiting staff in the Kenlis were extremely efficient but very friendly at the same time, this was noticed by all our guests. This also helped to create the warm friendly atmosphere we were looking for. The food was absolutely delicious and served piping hot. Our guest w
Your slogan is let one family look after another and never a truer word has been spoken. We most definitely felt looked after from the second we began to deal with your hotel. We are so glad that we had chosen the Headfort Arms as our wedding venue and have already recommended you to several of our engaged friends.
So thank you, a bug heartfelt thank you to one and all in the Headfort Arms who made this weekend absolutely superb, we really appreciate it.

Warm regards,
Ruairi & Aoife O’Reilly

Room Tip: Don't think about it - just book you won't regret it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

No raving reviews about this place. Receptionists were very busy and one seemed distant enough. Rooms were tight but clean and were a little cold. Overall it's an average hotel. The parking was over crowded behind the hotel so people had just abandoned cars everywhere.

Stayed March 2014
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

great hotel. great food great staff. weekend was organised totally through hotel which included all food ans day outing at causey farm,all for 169 euro. only money spent was on refreshments.
staff could not be more helpful, they reserved sections in bar, lounge and nightclub so whole group could be together. very busy place but none off service was slow,alot of staff available at all times. a special thanks to very pleasant and cheery reception staff. stayed in new part - beds &pillows so comfortable,room clean and spacious for 3 people. would recommend hotel and would go back

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Arrived at the Headfort Arms Hotel on Thursday 27-2-14 for a two day anniversary break, we were greeted at reception with a warm welcome and smile. Checking in was very quick and professional, everything that we needed to know was explained and we were directed to the elevator, which required a key card to access, to get to our room. We found our room to be of a good size, very clean and warm. Bathroom was a good size and had all requirements needed. Ten minutes later our complimentary bottle of Bubbly, (sparkling perry) arrived on ice with glasses containing strawberries. Not Champers but pleasant to drink. Went to the Keltic bar on the Thursday night for dinner, found it to be one of those bars that you feel at home in as soon as you arrive. Great staff and food and enjoyed a pleasant evening. Full marks to Mark, pardon the pun, very nice guy and excellent barman. After an excellent breakfast we left to spend the day touring the area. Having booked dinner at the Vanilla Pod we were expecting a meal as good as the Keltic Bar, not so, the sirloins were a bit on the chewy side and dry and sides were average, staff very good. As weather was a bit on the cold side HAD TO go into the Keltic bar again. another good night. Saturdays breakfast did not live up to Fridays, luke warm food and watery scrambled eggs. But overall we enjoyed the hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room at front of hotel, apart from the church bells at 06 30am no complaints.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kells
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne
Lakeside Manor Hotel
Lakeside Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Virginia

Been to Headfort Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!