“5 star friendliness, and amazing sunsets!”

Trump International Golf Links & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Doonbeg
Dublin, Ireland
“5 star friendliness, and amazing sunsets!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Everything about this place is picturesque. The grounds and surrounding area are beautiful. The beach is directly beside the hotel and is a perfect evening walk.

I did not use the hotel facilities to sleep, I was visiting as part of a wedding party. All events were beautiful and staff were extremely helpful. The hotel kindly run a complimentary shuttle to bring you to your b&b if you're not staying on site. This runs all night, until the last guest leaves. The hospitality and good nature of staff is really refreshing!

Would definitely recommend this venue. While I cannot review the golf facilities or accommodation, the hotel itself is gorgeous and a great break away from city life!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank LePotAuxRose
TrumpIreland, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear LePot Aux Rosc

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg as part of a wedding party. May I further express my appreciation with your compliment extended to our staff who were on hand to ensure that everything was to your satisfaction.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Trump International, Doonbeg and have you stay over in one of our suites on the occasion of a future visit to West Clare.

With kind regards,

Joe Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at the Trump Doonbeg resort in June. I have to say it was one of the most comfortable hotels in Ireland. I was there on a golf trip with friends and truly enjoyed the accommodations. The restaurant was too good that we didn't go out of the resort to eat. The spa was good and I'm sure will get better. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Oh, the golf was exceptional as well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rene I
Dear Rene,

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg. It certainly seems that you enjoyed a broad range of services and facilities throughout our resort.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you back on the occasion of a future visit to West Clare where our team will be on hand to ensure a very friendly and warm welcome again at that time.

Thank you once again.

oxfordshire
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was out third stay and it works so very well for us because of our own particular circumstances. My husband's extended family are based in Kilkee throughout the summer and this particular hotel gives us somewhere lovely as a base so that we can join family. We stay in a 2 bedroom Links Cottage which really is of a superb standard. The beds are beautifully comfortable, the bed linen is of a high quality, the kitchen is well-equipped with a wide range of utensils, glasses and crockery of a high standard, the shower is good and everything is almost spotlessly clean. However, as this is a self-catering property you do need to plan ahead. For instance, there were no tissues, cotton wool or cotton buds in the bathroom, the cafetiere of coffee was not replenished, towels were not replaced on a daily basis and the bed was not made unless the bed linen was changed that day. This is not a problem, but it is worth being aware of.

One of the few downsides is that there is a bedroom upstairs for additional guests and it is just slightly unnerving not knowing if anyone else is going to be coming in through 'our' front door and if they are going to be a bit noisy. The first year we stayed here there were 2 guests upstairs for a couple of nights, but last year and this year that was not the case. We really value the peace and privacy and indeed the flexibility the room arrangement gives us, but ideally it would be nice if there was not the possibility of strangers within the same set of rooms.

We had yet another super meal in the renamed 'Trump Bar' (no escaping his presence!) and it was good to see familiar faces of staff who had served us in previous years. The mussels were excellent and I had a lovely steak. The children's portions are very generous and the service was very good.

If one were nitpicking, the upholstery on the sofa was in need of cleaning and it was not the most luxurious fabric in the world - just a little too hard-wearing and utilitarian for my tastes. However, as mentioned by previous reviewers, the huge fly in the ointment is the 5 euro per room per day 'resort fee'. This apparently covers the cost of newspapers in the main hotel, the cleaning of golf tees, golf buggy transport between the cottages and the hotel, and wi-fi. We did not go into the hotel throughout our stay with the exception of the Trump Bar and checking in and out, we don't play golf and the wi-fi did not work in our cottage. We therefore refused to pay the charge. It is expensive to stay here and it seems petty and mean-spirited to make such an additional charge.

I can see that this venue might not be for everyone. The onus really is on golf and golfers and there is very little to do on site other than play golf. However, it works really well for us. It gives us a quiet, peaceful and luxurious base while we visit family and enjoy the delights of Kilkee (!) and it is well-located in terms of being able to explore wider afield. Who knows what Trump has in store - the heavy re-branding suggests that the changes might not be subtle and no doubt the emphasis on attracting American golfers will become more significant. However, as long as the rates don't go through the roof and the cottages do not change then we will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank robbiefan
Dear Robbiefan

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International Doonbeg. While I note many points of satisfaction for you which are very appreciated, please be assured that the constructive points you have raised have been taken on board also.

I am pleased to note that Mr. Trump has visited on numerous occasions, and is very positively disposed to further improvements and development over the coming years. In fact following the Winter storms of this year and trump International purchase of the property, immediate steps were taken to carry out works on the golf course to ensure that it was back in top order as soon as possible.

I am confident to say that the special ambiance you have experienced will be maintained and the level of food and service that you have received from the team will remain. Over time you will see some fine enhancement to the property which will add to your enjoyment of future stays.

Hopefully I will have an opportunity to meet with you on an occasion of a future visit and if at any time you wish to drop me an email on jrussell@trumphotels.com I would be pleased to assist you at that time.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Checked into Trump/Doonbeg for 3 nights with 5 other guys on a buddies trip. Hotel staff is great. Courtyard room is very nice- 1 bedroom up, 1 bedroom down and a nice living room. We booked golf elsewhere days 1 and 2 but day 3 before departing for the states we were set to play Doonbeg. We were however scheduled as the final group out as the golf shop sold golf to all sorts of groups that drove up, played and left. Not what I think should happen to a group that stayed on property. As a result our round- with real golfers- took 6 hours. We had to call the pub and ask them to keep the kitchen open for us to get a bite to eat. Clearly post bankruptcy Trump is willing to sell tee times to anyone, including one golfer who was playing for the 3rd time lifetime- the course is way hard and the entire situation was ridiculous for paying on resort customers. This is American resort golf at its worst- but the silver lining is you will have plenty of time to enjoy the views on the course- if you can stay awake. One last thing- the "fitness center" is a joke. Located behind the trash site in a small "building". Hope you won't need to do any cardio or stretching before you play.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stone54
Dear Stone 54

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor following your recent visit to Trump International Doonbeg.

While I am very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us in our suites together with the food and service your received in the hotel may I apologise for the dissatisfaction that you experienced on our golf course.

On a positive note may I say, that the Trump Organisation acquired the property in February following the Winter storms which had a very damaging impact on the entire West Coast of Ireland. He immediately set about repairing the damage and a lot of work has been done right throughout the summer to bring the golf course back into top condition which is been enjoyed by many golfers this Summer.

As it relates to the pace of play please be assured that I have discussed this matter with our head professional with the view to better monitoring and management.

Given the Trump International involvement in the resort now please be assured that additional facilities are been planned for development which will allow our future guests to enjoy better on the occasion of their visits to Trump International Doonbeg.

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I had a relaxing and lovely stay. At first, we thought we would be bored however we ended up falling in love with the Emerald Coast and stayed for 6 nights! The staff of the hotel are gracious. Be sure to visit the Spa. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grace154
Dear Grace 154

Thank you ever so much for you very kind review following your recent visit to Trump International Doonbeg. I am very pleased to note that your extended stay allowed you a great opportunity to embrace both the region, our resort itself and the people who were on hand to be of service during your stay.

As you have highlighted the spa particularly may I add that this team has been with the business since we opened in 2006 and continues to receive great reviews from our guests on a continuous basis.

While perhaps you could not have stayed longer on this occasion, hopefully we will have opportunity to welcome you back and if that is the case please drop me an email on jrussell@trumphotels.com and I will be very pleased to meet and welcome you on that occasion.

General Manager.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I don't know where to begin to tell you what a fantastic stay we had. Gorgeous accommodation and absolutely nothing is too much trouble for the great and exceptionally hardworking staff.

We stayed in a one bedroom Links Cottage Suite (160b) for two nights (14-16 July) which included €80 credit for dinner one night. I didn't know what to expect especially when they said they would drive us to our room! In fact I considered asking for a room in the lodge itself but I am glad I didn't and I promise you it's worth it. This mammoth property had everything you can possibly need and plenty of things you didn't think you needed too! Tastefully decorated, all mod cons, everything thought of from the oven and microwave to the fluffy bath robes and slippers, ginormous bed, softer than soft sheets and covers, DVD player, iPod Dock, TWO TV's, it was a seriously good room.

Also as it was our honeymoon we arrived to a letter from the hotel staff congratulating us and a bottle of bubbly!

The hotel does these fantastic looking picnic baskets that they pre pack for you. So you can go out for lunch on the beach or in the countryside. They also do meat baskets and BBQ equipment which they provide you with so you can host your own BBQ!) unfortunately we didn't have long enough to try these things, next time perhaps.....

The first night we ordered room service from the Trumps restaurant, club sandwiches, chunky chips and soup, it was all very well cooked and when they realised they hadn't given us the mayo and bread for the soups they drove over immediately and dropped them off. My tip here is to pick it up yourself, it will take less than 10 mins and they charge you €10 delivery which I think is too much.

We used our "dinner credit" on the second night to eat in the Ocean View restaurant, we asked for an ocean view which, of course, was no trouble at all. When we arrived the lovely waitress (who had met Donald Trump!) welcomed us with two glasses of champers and congratulated us on our wedding. The 3 course meal we had was a delight and there was also an amuse bouche and sorbet course which were lovely surprises thrown in. Also they use a lot of dry ice so when your food comes out it makes for a fabulous photo!

I went to the spa, the massage was great (my therapist was called Shauna she was seriously good at her job and lovely to boot). The spa itself could have been a little better there was only a sauna steam room and jacuzzi and I felt with such a fab hotel the spa could have had more, perhaps essential oils to make the steam room smell nice, more relaxing bed in the centre (better covers?) and some magazines to read (there wasn't one thing to read!) in all I would say about the spa, make sure you go for a treatment but perhaps get there only 20 mins before your treatment don't expect to spend all afternoon there!

Whilst I was relaxing in the spa the other half was out at the free driving range hitting 100 balls and having a great time.

In all a truly wonderful stay we will definitely be back next year for our anniversary!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cutestjennywren
Dear Cutesjennywren

I am not sure I can say much more than many many thanks for you very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg. The detail outlined in your review covers all aspects of our facility and service which I am very pleased to have read. Needless to say our team members who you met during your stay will be delighted to see the areas where they excelled.

Hopefully it will not be too long before we have an opportunity to welcome you back once again for another enjoyable and memorable time at Trump International, Doonbeg.

General Manager.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We recently spent 2 nights in Doonbeg. We had a 2 bedroom courtyard Lodge which was very attractively furnished, with lovely sitting room/kitchen and all mod cons. The bedrooms were on the top and bottom floors with the sitting room/kitchen on the middle entrance floor. this arrangement involves a lot of going up and down stairs so if you have any mobility problems a different type of room would suit better.the bedrooms and bathrooms were lovely with toiletries from The Burren perfumery. both had showers, a bath in at least one of them would have been nice. The area is very scenic with views from the main hotel and golf club over the golf links to the beach and sea. We ate in golf club which was fine and breakfast in the hotel dining room was very good. What really makes Doonbeg is the Staff who were without exception very professional, courteous and charming - I hope Mr. Trump keeps them all on.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TrumpIreland, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Thank you ever so much for your very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg together with your appreciation of the scenery and surrounding areas, I note your very favourable comments regarding the suite accommodations and amenities provided there in.

Your acknowledgement of our staff will be appreciated throughout our organisation and on they have had an opportunity to meet Mr. Trump on his frequent visits who has been most complimentary and pleased regarding their performance.

Thank you once again and hopefully it will not be too long before we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International, Doonbeg.

Joe Russell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doonbeg
Armada Hotel
#2 of 9 in Ennis
Bellbridge House Hotel
Bellbridge House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Spanish Point

Been to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel? Share your experiences!