“Food is NOT good but scenery is fab.”

Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Doonbeg
Dublin, Ireland
“Food is NOT good but scenery is fab.”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This venue is really lovely from a scenery point of view...right on the beach and the lodge is very 'fairy tale'...like an old princess castle!

We were at a function here and boy was the food bad. Our dinners arrived really late....lots of the other tables were finished desert before our main courses arrived. Food was stone cold...yuk! Food was very 'blah' in general...nothing special at all. And for the price you would expect good...even mediocre would be better than what we got.

The food was the talk of the table..and not in a positive sense! I was very shocked at the quality of the food to be honest and at how they don't seem to be set up to cater for large crowds..even though they do weddings/functions etc.....they are all held in a tent and I reckon the food must be cooked elsewhere and brought down to the tent without being covered or something as it was just stone cold!

The food was the kind you might pay €10 for in a Sunday carvery. Not what you expect from a supposed high quality hotel!! They really need to improve themselves...perhaps Donald Trump will do this!

Room Tip: The cottages are a good bit away from the lodge and are expensive.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ar_Laethanta_Saoire
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel.
I was sincerely sorry to read that your recent experience with us was less than desirable, particularly with regard to food.

I would like to extend my apologies that you were left to feel disappointed. I assure you we pay close attention to feedback such as yours so that we may constantly find ways to improve our facilities and services for our guests.

I welcome you to contact me personally at jrussell@trumphotels.com so that I may fully understand your experience .

I hope we will have the opportunity to look further into your stay and that you will allow us the occasion to welcome your return and restore your confidence in Trump international Golf Links & Hotel Ireland.

Joseph J. Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

After a one night stay at this resort I'm leaving with a big smile. The actual structured building and rooms were outstandingly beautiful, the scenery was breathtaking and the beds were like a cloud. The food was beautifully cooked. However what really set this place apart from other resorts for me was the staff, having worked in the service industry for years myself I'm always subconsciously noting the service everywhere I am and I was blown away with the people you have dealing with guests. There wasn't a problem or request too minuscule, everyone was always so bright and eager to help. There was one girl in particular, a blonde girl who I believe was named Mairie, that was above and beyond for me. She had a sunny demeanor, a positive tone in her voice and would offer anything to make your time more enjoyable. She was so busy with plenty of guests at a wedding but she made a very large impression on myself and those I was with. Management team needs to hold onto this girl!

• Stayed April 2014
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was very pleasing to read your service experience was exceptional. We are very proud of the level of service provided by our associates, they are very intuitive and work very hard to ensure your every need is not only met, but exceeded. In addition, thank you for commending Marie and our team. I will certainly share your sentiments.

We look forward to welcoming back in the near future.

County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We booked our hotel room on the Internet and at no point in our booking did we realise we were in the links cottages which are a 1 km walk
from the hotel. So when we arrived with our 4 mt old baby to be told we wouldn't be in the hotel but in the links cottage. When I explained this was not stated at the time of booking or when we phoned to organise a cot. The kind lady at reception arranged for us to stay in one of the courtyard rooms.

Pros of hotel
Location, beside a beautiful golden beach.

Rooms are well appointed and roomy. Some include a kitchen.

Staff are warm, friendly and attentive.

Lovely towels.

Cons
The pricing in both the long room restaurant and Darbys pub restaurant for what they offer arevery expensive.

The gym is currently located in a temporary building which is hard to find and hardly luxurious when found.

The first morning we enjoyed breakfast in Darbys and this was a lovely affair, relaxing, and friendly. There was a chef on hand cooking omelettes, pancakes etc . There was also table service for eggs benedict etc. The second morning breakfast was in the long room which has a very stuffy, formal feel . When seated the table was lacking cutlery, when i asked for cutlery it took 10 minutes to organise.The breakfast is table service and we waited 40 mins for our order.
When it arrived we ordered a further pot of tea as we drained the first pot while waiting,
however this never arrived. The bread at the breakfast station was stale. We had breakfast at around 10:00 but noticed when we left that no one replenished the bread or pastries for any later guests.

We ordered room service and these are delivered in plastic containers much like a ready meal delivered without cutlery
All which took away from the experience. We didn't have dinner in the long room as felt it was too formal for a 4 mt old baby.

There is no where in the hotel to lounge and avail of afternoon tea, relax and read. The bar in the front lounge is too small. This meant we had to do this in our room . This felt confining with a small baby.

The cot the hotel supplied had a huge hole in the netting in its side which meant that we could not use as it didn't feel safe.

There is no bath in the rooms only a shower which is difficult with a young baby.

The layout of the courtyard suites away from the hotel make it difficult with a baby as u need to put the baby in their pram to get around. There r quite a lot of steps within the complex and a lot of surfaces are cobblestone so bumpy when manoeuvreing a pram. We enjoyed glorious weather but it would be a pain to manoeuvre a pram from your rooms to main hotel in unseasonal weather.

There is no pool.

I felt the hotel is mote suitedto golfers, as everyone raved about the golfing and the course. We were not golfing.

2 Thank Livelytravel
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland and for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. While I am pleased to read of your appreciation of our associates and location of our property, I am of course very concerned of the areas which left you to feel disappointed. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel this way.

I have noted your comments regarding the room service and the service provided in our Long Room Restaurant. I would like to assure you we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided , taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. We are in the process of looking at a lounge area for those valued guests who are not staying in our suites and hope to develop this concept over the next few months.

I welcome you to contact me personally at jrussell@trumphotels.com so that I may fully understand your experience and hopefully have an opportunity to restore your view of our premises.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Doonbeg - the welcome (and service in general) was very warm and friendly. Our room was lovely (26A) and the bed was amazing, though the wifi was awful (kept cutting out and was hardly available in communal areas) and the shower, though enormous, was very weak when the temperature was turned up.

We had booked dinner in the Long Room (now called Ocean View after the Trump takeover) and were shown to a lovely table by the window to enjoy a beautiful sunset. The bar area for pre-dinner drinks is too small for its purpose. The food was good but not great and extremely overpriced for the quality (and I'm used to London prices).

The golf course looked fantastic but I couldn't play due to injury, so will leave that till next time.

Room Tip: 26A (courtyard suite) was fine and close to reception.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Trump International Golf links & Hotel Ireland. I sincerely appreciate your acknowledgement of our personable and welcoming associates as well as our comfortable rooms. May I apologise for the issue with regard to the WIFI and the shower. Please be assured that these Matters have since been addressed.

I was delighted to read you viewed the course as fantastic and hope you will have the opportunity to play on your return visit. Thank you once again and we look forward to your return visit to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I decided to treat ourself to a nice hotel for the Easter weekend. Over all we had a fantastic weekend as doonbeg area is super and my husband is a surfer but I was very dissapointed with the hotel. We had a courtyard room. I'm a girl that likes luxury, lazing around with a coffee and my pile of magazines and I didn't get it in this hotel. There's no lobby, no where to laze with a drink, and unless a golfer not a lot to do! While the staff were fantastic I've stayed in many 5 stars hotels and this doesn't come close. U felt like we were in self catering accommodation for the weekend rather than a hotel. Our bill for 2 nights and 2 dinners was near €700. Could cry when I think if it. The place has such potential but doesn't give you that nice weekend of luxury I have had in many places. So sorry we didn't stay something basic in doolin or lehinch!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jetsetterhead
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland. I am very pleased to read your experience with our associates was memorable. Our associates are very intuitive and work very hard to ensure your every need is not only met , but exceeded.

I am of course concerned with the areas which left you disappointed with your stay, and I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you were caused and feeling that you did not get value for the money you paid. We are in the process of looking at a lounge area for those valued guests who are not staying in our suites and hope to develop this concept over the next few months.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed in Doonbeg this weekend, the weather was amazing and we were staying in the hotel and not the cottages. The hotel could do with more signs from Doonbeg Village, and once you arrive, however the hotel it's self is very pretty, and all most magical, the staff are extremely friendly and genuinely very nice, that includes the golf course and Darby's bar staff, we found the food expensive for what you are getting in the long restaurant, a bit disappointing and room service was also disappointing, I ordered seafood chowder in the restaurant and it was a small portion and could have been tastier, I ordered fish and chips from room service, and it was dropped down in a paper bag in a plastic box, not a plate and with mayo and ketchup sachets ( petrol service style ) and it was was not great, I was surprised by the taste and presentation, Darby's restuarant was tastier food for both dinner and breakfast we felt ! Golf course was amazing, we enjoyed our stay but the food was a little over priced we felt .

2 Thank Peteyobrien
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland and for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. While I am pleased to read your appreciation of the Hotel, Golf Course and your kind recognition of the staff, my sincere apologies for the areas which left you feeling disappointed.

Please be assured that we pay close attention to such feedback, allowing us the opportunity for improving our facilities, service and standards on an ongoing basis.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome your return visit, where I trust you will find an improvement to the areas you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back at that time.

Leinster
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here over the Easter Weekend and overall it was a pleasant experience. As many of the other reviews state it is not a traditional hotel as we know it - it is more like the American resort experience , but for all that it is well run to a high standard.
The courtyard suite was on three levels which was perfect for our config of 2 adults and 2 older children. The kitchen / living area is in the middle floor with a bedroom and large en suite above and below.
Breakfast was good - wide range of appropriate foods and a cooked breakfast served hot. Some five star establishments still try to get away with mediocre buffet arrangements - no thanks!
We did not have an evening meal here as we wanted to try the much recommended Morrisseys restaurant in Doonbeg village. It is well worth a visit , but they dont take bookings - just turn up and wait at the bar for a table.
The standard of cleanliness of the rooms etc was very good - full marks there.
The resort is quite isolated - a car is a must, as its surrounded by a large golf course. We got bikes from Guest Services ( very American) and cycled around. If you play golf the course is highly regarded.
The negatives? Still no swimming pool is hard to believe, 10 years on. Also 400 Euro a night is quite expensive for B&B - we could have stayed in the Merrion or the Four Seasons for less; but we didnt and the sunny weather certainly helped.
The staff were all friendly and helpful.
There is also informal dining in the club house - standard bill of fare. Nice views but a little overpriced for what is essentially bar food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland. It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay in our Courtyard Suites.The decor, furnishing, bedding and all of the guest room amenities were carefully selected to exacting standards. I appreciate your feedback with regard to areas which left you to feel disappointed.

Thank you for sharing your insight on Trip Advisor.

I look forward to welcoming you on your return visit to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland.

Joseph J. Russell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Doonbeg
Armada Hotel
Hotel Woodstock
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 9 in Ennis
Lahinch Golf & Leisure Hotel

Been to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg? Share your experiences!