“Very dissapointed”

Trump International Golf Links & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Doonbeg
“Very dissapointed”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I decided to treat ourself to a nice hotel for the Easter weekend. Over all we had a fantastic weekend as doonbeg area is super and my husband is a surfer but I was very dissapointed with the hotel. We had a courtyard room. I'm a girl that likes luxury, lazing around with a coffee and my pile of magazines and I didn't get it in this hotel. There's no lobby, no where to laze with a drink, and unless a golfer not a lot to do! While the staff were fantastic I've stayed in many 5 stars hotels and this doesn't come close. U felt like we were in self catering accommodation for the weekend rather than a hotel. Our bill for 2 nights and 2 dinners was near €700. Could cry when I think if it. The place has such potential but doesn't give you that nice weekend of luxury I have had in many places. So sorry we didn't stay something basic in doolin or lehinch!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jetsetterhead
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland. I am very pleased to read your experience with our associates was memorable. Our associates are very intuitive and work very hard to ensure your every need is not only met , but exceeded.

I am of course concerned with the areas which left you disappointed with your stay, and I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you were caused and feeling that you did not get value for the money you paid. We are in the process of looking at a lounge area for those valued guests who are not staying in our suites and hope to develop this concept over the next few months.

I welcome you to contact me personally at jrussell@trumphotels.com so that I may fully understand your experience and hopefully have an opportunity to restore your view of our premises.

Joseph J. Russell,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed in Doonbeg this weekend, the weather was amazing and we were staying in the hotel and not the cottages. The hotel could do with more signs from Doonbeg Village, and once you arrive, however the hotel it's self is very pretty, and all most magical, the staff are extremely friendly and genuinely very nice, that includes the golf course and Darby's bar staff, we found the food expensive for what you are getting in the long restaurant, a bit disappointing and room service was also disappointing, I ordered seafood chowder in the restaurant and it was a small portion and could have been tastier, I ordered fish and chips from room service, and it was dropped down in a paper bag in a plastic box, not a plate and with mayo and ketchup sachets ( petrol service style ) and it was was not great, I was surprised by the taste and presentation, Darby's restuarant was tastier food for both dinner and breakfast we felt ! Golf course was amazing, we enjoyed our stay but the food was a little over priced we felt .

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Peteyobrien
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland and for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. While I am pleased to read your appreciation of the Hotel, Golf Course and your kind recognition of the staff, my sincere apologies for the areas which left you feeling disappointed.

Please be assured that we pay close attention to such feedback, allowing us the opportunity for improving our facilities, service and standards on an ongoing basis.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome your return visit, where I trust you will find an improvement to the areas you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back at that time.

Leinster
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here over the Easter Weekend and overall it was a pleasant experience. As many of the other reviews state it is not a traditional hotel as we know it - it is more like the American resort experience , but for all that it is well run to a high standard.
The courtyard suite was on three levels which was perfect for our config of 2 adults and 2 older children. The kitchen / living area is in the middle floor with a bedroom and large en suite above and below.
Breakfast was good - wide range of appropriate foods and a cooked breakfast served hot. Some five star establishments still try to get away with mediocre buffet arrangements - no thanks!
We did not have an evening meal here as we wanted to try the much recommended Morrisseys restaurant in Doonbeg village. It is well worth a visit , but they dont take bookings - just turn up and wait at the bar for a table.
The standard of cleanliness of the rooms etc was very good - full marks there.
The resort is quite isolated - a car is a must, as its surrounded by a large golf course. We got bikes from Guest Services ( very American) and cycled around. If you play golf the course is highly regarded.
The negatives? Still no swimming pool is hard to believe, 10 years on. Also 400 Euro a night is quite expensive for B&B - we could have stayed in the Merrion or the Four Seasons for less; but we didnt and the sunny weather certainly helped.
The staff were all friendly and helpful.
There is also informal dining in the club house - standard bill of fare. Nice views but a little overpriced for what is essentially bar food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland. It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay in our Courtyard Suites.The decor, furnishing, bedding and all of the guest room amenities were carefully selected to exacting standards. I appreciate your feedback with regard to areas which left you to feel disappointed.

Thank you for sharing your insight on Trip Advisor.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had been really looking forward to our break in Doonbeg, and maybe our expectations were too high as we left feeling utterly disappointed. The hotel is quite difficult to find and there is a lack of signage from the village of Doonbeg which more than anything seems a bit silly, but none the less delayed our arrival at the hotel. Once we did find the understated entrance we were impressed with the setting and enjoyed the drive through the rolling hills of the golf course, until we reached the Links cottages that is... The appearance was incredibly off putting, the paintwork looked old and grubby, as first impressions go this was a dreadful one. The main hotel building does appear to be more polished looking as you approach but on closer inspection the same grubby black marks mar the paintwork.

Check in was quick and efficient, the reception itself is tiny, luckily we arrived before most as if there had been a queue I'm not sure where we would have waited. We followed one of the shuttle buses to our room in the Links cottages and were given a tour of it. This mainly consisted of pointing out the many storage cupboards in the room (One of which was untidily filled with extra linen and had spare robes lying on the ground, the gent showing us the room ensured us they were clean..) and warning us to turn off the towel warmer in the bathroom whenever we were not in the room as it can get quite hot... The room was very comfortable but was really on the small side considering the amount of money one pays to stay at the hotel. There were a few things that disappointed me about the room, first off the lack of a bath was a real blow, the bathroom was huge and the shower is great, I just don't understand the logic in not having a bath. On the tea tray both glasses were different sizes which just seemed a bit odd and I strongly believe when gowns are provided slippers should be too.

We had a lunch and a dinner in Darby's bar (which I think is now called Trumps...) which I personally found inconsistent. The food was good but it lacked basic touches. Mussels served without bread or a finger bowl is a no no and while they tasted delicious I felt filthy after eating them and had to go to the bathroom to wash my hands. I did notice every other table at lunch had a bread board aside from ours, so it did make us feel a little bit like second class citizens.

Dinner was better despite being told on arrival that we were the last booking (We reserved for 9 and were told it was not too late as last orders were at 9.30 when booking) and also being handed the bill unprompted after we had eaten. We got form both dining experiences a sense that we were unwelcome, so we just brought the remainder of our bottle of wine back to the room. Over all I cant fault the food, it was really tasty and the selection was great.

Having racked up a bill of around 450 euro on a one night stay we left Doonbeg feeling cheated. Maybe if you were a golfer this would be a haven but I can say for someone looking for a luxury romantic night away this is not the place to go. I have stayed in 4 star hotels that by far exceed this one an I'm utterly baffled as to how it is registered as a 5 star.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JamieK87
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland. We truly appreciate all forms of guest feedback and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.
It was of course with great concern I learned of the inconsistencies in service you experienced. Please accept my sincere apologies and I welcome you to contact me personally at jrussell@trumphotels.com so that I may fully understand your experience.

I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided and have taken immediate steps to correct any deficiencies.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome your return visit to Trump International; where I trust you will find an improvement in regards to the areas you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back at that time.

Glin, Ireland
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The setting at Doonbeg Golf Club is just fantastic! We went for a meal at the bar as the dining room was not open! There were 11 of us! We were there for an occasion! My Mums birthday! The service was next to none but the meal itself was extremely disappointing! The chowder is was worst I've ever eaten! You could count the prawns and there were 3 mussels! There wasn't that much of a choice on the menu for the main. I had the scampi and 4 of us had the fish in batter! The batter was soaked in oil and the fish was very small! My side salad consisted of 3 salad leaves! I could honestly say that I would not recommend eating there! The burger looked ok! But stay away from the oily battered fish! But the setting was fantastic!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank denisejohnkody
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel & Golf links Ireland for your family celebration, and for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience. I am pleased to read your kind appraisal of our associates, they are very intuitive and work hard to ensure your every need is not only met, but exceed.

I am of course very concerned about the areas which left you feeling disappointed. Please be reassured that we pay close attention to such feedback, allowing us the opportunity for improving our facilities, service and standards on an ongoing basis.

Please accept my sincerest apologies and I welcome you to contact me personally at jrussell@trumphotels.com so that I may fully understand your experience.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome your return visit to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel ; where I trust you will find an improvement in regards to the areas you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back at that time.

Joe Russell

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Used the spa here last week fabulous treatment and staff but facilities were lack ing compared to other 5 stars I've been to in the past, no pool which was a pity very small jacuzzi, hopefully now Donald trump has bought the hotel the spa facilities will improve. ?.. otherwise beautiful settung, lovrly restaurant, great service , hope to come back soon

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ros22
DoonbegManager, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your appraisal of our property and your spa experience.
I am very pleased to see that your experience with our associates was memorable. Our people are very intuitive and work hard to ensure your every need is not only met, but exceeded.

I was glad that you truly enjoyed your spa treatment but I am of course concerned with the items that left you disappointed. We will most certainly take your comments on board as an opportunity for improvement in both our facilities and in the service we provide to our guests. \

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I look forward to welcoming you on your return visit to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Just back from our weekend stay at the Lodge in Doonbeg this weekend.From the friendly greeting at reception to the excellent accomadation it was excellent from start to finish.We stayed in one of the Courtyard Suites which was just perfect.The room and sitting room were spotless with everything you could possibly need there for your use.The golf course is just beautiful and well worth a visit on it's own.Darby's bar is a hidden gem with excellent food and staff with John behind the bar and Bridie & Doriese on the floor looking after all our needs.Top class staff looking after everybody so Mr Trump look after them they make the place what it is.Breakfast is very good with a great selection of fruits,juices & hot dishes.The setting of the hotel is ideal with sea views to die for.Overall it's a place to visit if you can and with a bit of luck I look forward to coming back here again.

Room Tip: The courtyard suites are ideal and close to the main building.