“Very picturesque setting, better than average pub grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Darby's - CLOSED

Darby's
Cuisines: Irish, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: this is the main casual restaurant in the doonbeg lodge. it's open to the public, not just residents of the hotel.
Moate, Ireland
“Very picturesque setting, better than average pub grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My fiancee and I travelled to Darbys on the occasion of a birthday to sample the food as I had heard very good reports. The food did not disappoint, it was top quality. We shared the starter of chicken wings and then I ordered the burger whilst my fiancee had the scampi. Suffice to say that neither of us could finish the servings given to us, and that is a rarity for yours truly (and showing all the signs of it)!!
All in all a lovely meal, though I would probably have preferred smaller portions. I will go back, if nothing else to sample the dessert menu..
The view from our table was simply breathtaking with the Atlantic in front and the golf course to our right. To top it off, a walk along the beach helped to ease our full stomachs. All in all a memorable trip

• Visited June 2013

Olathe, Kansas
“Above the pro shop with great views and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

A really simple pleasure - a view of the ocean and golf course, plent of gourmet food or pub food at reasonable prices. The staff is friendly and attentive and you can eat inside or outside. Stopped in 4 days in a row before golf and after business meetings.

Visited June 2013
Texas
“Irish Pub with a view of the sea and better than average pub food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Oh, the fish and chips were good, but so was the lamb shank, the sea bass, and the awesome deserts. The lamb was perfectly spiced and fell of the bone. I have never had better lamb anywhere - Ireland, England, Scotland, or Australia. I can still taste the chocolate mousse type torte with raspberry icecream. Worth every calorie.

From every table you have a view of the North Atlantic. Rain or shine it is awesome. We were there for lunch and for dinner. In late April after the change to daylight savings time, you have these long twilights and can really enjoy the views very late. I imagine this is true until late fall.

Waitstaff are friendly and helpful. Although we were there only a few nights, our observtion is they get to know their customers and give them special attention.

One night when we were there, a very young group (twenties) was there and filled the place with energy and enthusiam. Even with this crowd, service was prompt, not harried.

If this place were near my home instead of Ireland, I would want it to be my regular dining spot and watering hole!

• Visited April 2013
clare
“5 star place,2 star service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm local to the area and being fully aware of the stunning location, decided to take my family for a treat recently to admire the wild Atlantic from a cosy vantage point on a particularly wild day.The place is very well appointed,warm and the general atmosphere is nice. However the service from the outset was less than impressive.We didn't order much,two coffees,a hot chocolate and two desserts.The drinks arrived and we had plenty time to drink them while we waited for our desserts.We had to ask for sugar but no big deal. We never expected it to be cheap but we felt that the 3.60 service charge which took the total to 27.60 was a bit of a cheek considering the lack of it.When I paid the bill the server took my money and held my change in her hand while she had a discussion with her work colleague,hardly the most helpful way of saying thanks for the local patronage and encouraging us back.Hopefully it was just a blip but we won't be going back to try anything more than a coffee again.Hope it doesn't put people off visiting our beautiful area but I felt that a fair review of my first visit should shared.

3 Thank seanti
connecticut
“perfect place to wait for your golf buddies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

food was good, staff was friendly and the setting gorgeous!! You can see the 1st hole of the Doonbeg Golf Course and also your friends coming in on the 18th.

• Visited October 2012