“Wonderful Hosts - Fantastic Food - Mighty Craic !” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Igoe Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Doonbeg
Cuisines: Bar, Irish, Pub, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Tralee
“Wonderful Hosts - Fantastic Food - Mighty Craic !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful Easter weekend at the Igoe inn in Doonbeg, Co Clare. Owners, Mick and Caroline made us feel like we were long lost family from the outset of our stay! Great Craic (and great Guinness!) was had by all in the lovely bar after we had enjoyed a delicious meal in the restaurant (my wife said her steak was one of the best ever !!). Accommodation was 1st class too. Can't wait to go back in the summer.

• Visited March 2013

Clare
“Food poisoning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I ordered a seafood chowder and what came out was obviosly gone off by the smell alone. I had taken one spoon of the chowder when my taste buds told me something was badly amiss. I sent it back only to have more of the same arrive back out, so the whole pot was contaminated. I cancelled my starter and main course and waited for the rest of the group to finish. I had food poisoning a few hours later. The Igoe Inn will never get another cent from me again. Disgusting and terrible service on top of that, trying to ignore me when I said that their chowder was not fit for human consumption. Avoid like the plague.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank luap_42
Igoe I, Owner at The Igoe Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
My name is Caroline Kennedy and I am the owner and manager of the Igoe inn bar and restaurant in Doonbeg, County Clare, Ireland.

The comments made in this review have caused great distress to myself, my husband and our staff. I believe that this claim of food poisoning is totally false and was posted with the sole intention of damaging me, and the reputation of my restaurant.

I have absolutely no objection to unbiased reviews and websites that facilitate their publication. However, food and beverage is my livelihood and an allegation of food poisoning - in this profession - is about as serious as it gets.

I have asked tripadvisor to remove this post but they have stated that LUAP_42 has not broken any of their submission guidelines with regard to the posting of this review.
So, I would just like to make a couple of points here, myself, with regard to this review – as it is the only avenue available for me to do so.

This individual claims that they visited my restaurant and suffered food poisoning in May 2012, but obviously did not feel it was important enough to warrant any comment at the time – instead waiting a further 10 months before posting a review.

As well as being the owner and manager of the establishment, I am also the chef. I take huge pride in the fact that a dish has NEVER been returned to the kitchen in the 14 years that we have been serving food at the Igoe inn. I am 100% certain that this incident did not occur, having also consulted with the other kitchen staff and the waiting staff.

If a dish WAS returned to our kitchen, and there was even the slightest hint that it might be “gone off”, it goes without saying that the whole batch, and all the ingredients that went into it, would be dumped immediately and a full refund given to the customer. This is, and always has been, our policy.

I am shocked and angry that unsubstantiated allegations of such a serious nature were published without medical evidence having been sought from the individual in question (that they did indeed suffer food poisoning after visiting my restaurant).
As you can see this review/rating was totally unusual and contrasts markedly with all the other reviews of my establishment, which have all been positive.

Finally, I would just like to thank all my genuine customers for their regular patronage and kind reviews. We are all looking forward to another great season at the Igoe inn!

Thanks
Caroline
Limerick, Ireland
“Great food, craic and hospitality at the Igoe Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I frequently drop into the Igoe Inn, where I always receive a warm welcome from owners Caroline & Mike. Its a lovely family run pub, where a nice comfortable dining experience can be had by all. If your around Doonbeg, be sure to drop in.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank amstacke
Kildare, Ireland
“Best seafood chowder this side of the 30° meridian!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Continuing my world-wide quest in the hunt for the best sea food chowder I stopped into Igoe's for a bowl of their finest and a pint. I'm happy to report that it was just fantastic, the food in this little place is top notch. Thanks Igoe's, you're currently #1 in the Chowder World Rankings :-)

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Loopy_Cuban
Tralee, Co. Kerry. Ireland
“We Went In!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

The welcome from Caroline was hearty to say the least! We had some good Guinness in the bar while we gave our food orders in to the barman.
Called into the dining room soon after, and we really liked the decor, with the wood panelling giving a warm atmosphere there.
We shared some deep-fried Bries as a starter and then had four fish and chips and a crab and smoked salmon salad. Everybody liked what they had, the fish being Cod in a good batter. We stuck with the Guinness for the meal. Nobody was able for a dessert, so we finished up our drinks and left happy. Will be back!

• Visited August 2012