“Quality appartments”

Nikolaou Villa
Athens
“Quality appartments”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited Villa Nikolaou during the previous weekend and stayed in Suite 131 for 3 nights. Excellent accommodation in a recently constructed bunch of studios and suites. Some of them are equipped with a fireplace and even a hot tub! Clean, modern and quite romantic if you ask me. Great sleep quality thanks to the comfortable mattress.

I understand that the reviews diversity must be confusing, so let me clear it out for each and one of you: There are 2 Villas in the property. One old and one newly constructed. By the precedent reviews of other people in here and the website photos, I see that the old studios have nothing to share with the new ones. Just ask for a suite or room in Villa 1 (check the website to be sure) and trust me. You won't be disappointed.

The owner is friendly, polite and discreet. We didn't opt for the breakfast served, as a local bakery is just 100 m away with pretty good choices to make.

Overall recommended. Would definitely stay there again if I visit Pelion in the future.

Room Tip: Go for the new suites of Villa Nikolaou in the front side of the property. Great accommodation.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I cannot begin to describe how disappointed we are after our stay at this so called "Villa". The rooms were the smallest we have ever seen, overcrowded and very very old. Nothing has been changed in those rooms since 1975 probably. Everything was rusted or rotting, the shower curtain fell on us every time we had a shower, and the bed was as hard as the floor and with only one blanket (At 3 degrees Celsius, it's cold).

The heating did not work properly and we woke up to a very cold room every day. When we asked the woman that worked there (Because the owner disappeared after the first day), she replied that her heating was working fine so there shouldn't be a problem with the room. Very very unhelpful and rude staff. We didn't even attempt to go for breakfast as the so called "breakfast area" was tiny and dirty.

Don't even get me started on the posted price of the room. (It's not worth 1/10 of that) I wouldn't stay there again if you paid me. When we told the owners wife that it was overpriced her reply was: (Every hotel prices its rooms however it feels).. Shocking..

And lastly, as I mentioned earlier, the owner had disappeared after the first day and we didn't get a chance to speak with him and ask for another room.

I would have rated this -5 if I could but I just hope that other people that read this review don't make the same mistake we did. It doesn't matter if you are a couple, friends or family.. It's just NOT worth it.

Stay away!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Rhaellios

Travelers are raving about these Tsagkarada hotels

Crete, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Villa Nicolaou has new rooms in a relatively quiet area of this picturesque village. We inquired about a room for 4 people. The owner's 14-year-old son was at the reception desk (his father was away that night). He gave us what looked like a small but comfortable room (one double-bed and two sofas that open out to become beds) quoting 60 euro as the price for the one night we were to stay there. I asked to pay up immediately so that we would be ready to leave the next day. He then quoted a price of 65 euro per night if we wanted breakfast. OK, I thought, why not, so I paid 65 euro. The next morning, we called into the reception area for breakfast. This time, the owner was there. He told us we had only paid for the room (father and son obviously have a communication problem). When we (meaning both me and my husband) insisted that this was not the case, he said: "OK, I'll serve you two breakfasts." When I complained, he started ranting: "Do you know how much money I've lost over your room charge? That room is normally rented out at 75 euro a night without breakfast!" That really wasn't my problem, was it? Nor was it my problem that the rooms were only a year old and that the owner had opened them during the economic crisis, so he probably still had debts to pay, or that he had invested a lot of time, effort and money in decorating them tastefully, only to rent them out cheaply to impoverished tourists. His actions go against what is understood as filoxenia (Greek hospitality); taking food out of a guest's mouth to save on expenses is a shameful act.

Tsagarada is basically a Greek tourist area. So not many foreigners would be coming here to stay. I am glad for this, because i'd hate it for foreigners to find out how a greek treats a fellow greek.

Room Tip: make sure you get a receipt of payment stating exactly what you have paid for, or at least get the o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank mverivaki
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

It was a big disappointment. The rooms (we were two couples) were overcrowded with furniture but without the possibility to remain seated comfortably in the room (there was just one armchair and no other chairs, but there was a voluminous couch that occupied 1/3 of the room), the illumination was insufficient (very low, with no possibility of reading in bed), no existence of a writing-table, insufficient space in the closet (occupied mainly by the fridge, which contained absolutely nothing). The breakfast was served in an impossibly small place that doubled also as reception and consisted (daily) in 1 hard boiled egg, some bread, butter and honey or jam, accompanied by an impossible coffee (espresso, nescaffe or filter they all tasted the same) served by a coin-activated machine, of the kind that one finds in train stations. Generally, our impression (of all 4 of us) was that this so-called guest-house was very expensive for what it passed, run by people that ignored basic rules of their profession.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
14 Thank dimi53
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

We chose Villa Nikolaou for our three-night stay in Tsagkarada, Pelion. Unfortunately, it proved to be a big disappointment. The hotel consists of two buildings and although the first one is new and has luxurious rooms, the other one (in which we stayed) is old and seems abandoned by its owners. The room was small with old furniture and the bed was so uncomfortable that we couldn’t sleep. As for the bathroom, the faucet and the bathtub looked old and dirty. To make matters worse, the owners weren’t very friendly - certainly we didn’t feel welcomed.

And last, but not least, breakfast was awful. There were a couple slices of bread, only one kind of jam, butter, coffee, orange juice and... that was all! No cake, no biscuits, no selection of jams, no chocolate, no milk, no cerials... And of course, there was no possibility to take some more coffee or bread if you wanted to. I must note that this kind of service was given to the customers of both buildings.

As pointed in the beginning, we stayed in the old building and maybe the accomodation in the new one is far better. But for the services provided in the old building, surely it was an overpriced choice. We wouldn’t recommend it in any case.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
21 Thank Around_The_Globe_82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tsagkarada
Alkistis Hotel
#11 of 24 in Tsagkarada
Ellis Guest House
Ellis Guest House
#4 of 24 in Tsagkarada

Been to Nikolaou Villa? Share your experiences!