“Great hotel however could treat half-board guests better!”

Doryssa Seaside Resort
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Pythagorion
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The reviews on Tripadvisor got us a little nervous as some people had complained about the food and service. However, we found the hotel staff and service excellent. The hotel and our room was very, very clean. Each day, the housekeeping did an excellent job cleaning the bathroom and the room. We were very impressed with the cleanliness. The animation/entertainment team was simply amazing - each night they had a different show including singing and magic. The 80s classics singing show was the best! Bamse the magician was really funny and entertaining.
Room: We had a room in the village part of the hotel which was extraordinary and a beautiful experience. Definitely recommend!
Food: The food was very good. Thumbs up to the chef and his team! The desserts were the best from all the hotels we have ever visited in a package holiday. Some dishes were repeated every day but they were so good that we didn't mind. In addition to these, each day they had some new varieties, including those from Greek and World cuisines. Breakfast did not have a made to order eggs station which was a disappointment, would expect that in a five star hotel. Loved the Greek dishes such as feta pastry and greek salad for breakfast.
The location is perfect, a ten minute walk from the beautiful town of Pythagoria and located on a nice beach. You have to pay for the sunbeds (€3 per sunbed) but it is worth it.
Island tour: We took an island bus tour with Arke, our guides Patrick was well informed and the tour covered a lot. Worth the price!
Samos: We rented a car from Enterprise for three days and explored some of the other beaches and sights. Would highly recommend this island and both the Psili Ammos beaches. Karvolassi and Kokkari were beautiful towns. Also rented a scooter for one day from Nicos Rentals. Both good rental agencies.

A very big disappointment about Doryssa Seaside Resort was the system of separating half board and all inclusive guests in two different restaurants. We were on the half board arrangement. On our first day there, we accidentally went to the all inclusive restaurant on our first day at the hotel. There was no steward to show us to a table so we found a table and served ourselves the food from the buffet. A steward came and took our order for our alcoholic drinks and asked us our room number. We had already served ourselves sodas from the self serve machine. After ten minutes, the manager of the hotel came and informed us were were not supposed to be in that restaurant as we were half board guests, and they charged us €5 each for the drinks we had already taken from the soda machines. The manager was very polite. However it made us realise that at the time of check in to the hotel, the front desk did not explain everything properly.

At the time of check-in, we were also told that we could switch our dinner to lunch if we informed the reception before hand. On the last day at the hotel, we decided to eat lunch instead of dinner and informed the reception at 1pm. We were given a go ahead for the lunch however were told that next time we should inform them before 12noon. This was not informed to us before hand during the check in. Since it was our last day we did not argue about this with the reception.

Our biggest disappointment was - in the half board restaurant, for each meal, most of the dishes did not have a name card. The serving containers were huge and difficult to open and close, so each time you had to open it just to see what was inside. Even if you could see the dish, you did not know what the food was - whether vegetarian or meat or the name! This was extremely annoying! Especially since we had seen the all inclusive restaurant which was much nicer, cleaner and very meticulously displayed the names of each dish and even had a separate vegetarian counter. The service was also better in the all inclusive restaurant than the half board restaurant.
We thought it was extremely unfair to separate the half board and all inclusive guests. As a half board guest, we were paying in full for our breakfast and dinner. Yes it is true we were paying less by one meal in comparison but still paying for our two meals. Therefore, I do not see the reason for the difference in quality and service between the two restaurants.

We were not very happy that we weren't given adequate information about all the restaurants. There was also no information in the room of the timings of the meals. Half board guests do not deserve lesser quality as we are still paying for two meals and quality for those two meals - This was very, very unfair. Especially since Arke (our booking agent) did not even give us the option of choosing all inclusive for this hotel, else we would have obviously chosen all inclusive. We can safely say that it was unfair as we experienced both restaurants. Most guests would not even know the difference.

We are very happy with Doryssa and would definitely go back except for the fact that the management could take the above into consideration and not treat half board guests unfairly.

Room Tip: The village part of the hotel was amazing! Definitely recommend a village room for a different exper...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ekta S
Doryssa, Guest Relations Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Dear Guests,

Greetings from Doryssa Seaside Resort. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holidays here with us.

Considering the treatment of the All inclusive and Half board clients we can reassure you that there is no discrimination what so ever in favour of anybody.

All our personnel is doing the best possible to serve and please all our guests equaly.

The restaurant separation was done only for practical reasons and that is because it wouldn't be easy to serve properly 600 people in one restaurant. The food served in the buffet is exactly the same in both restaurants and the service is provided by the same personnel in round shifts.

We will be happy to welcome you again in Doryssa Seaside Resort for your holidays in the near future.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I am about to book my second trip to this hotel. Last year I was recommended to visit the island of Samos by a customer of mine and I was not disappointed. Doryssa is the only up scale hotel on the island and at first I was a little worried of what I would find. This was the first time I booked with an independently run resort. I travel quite a bit for work across the US and Canada mostly but because I am often in the US I bring my wife along and then we travel to several different places in the Caribbean, Hawaii and even Europe. I am use to the large 5 star chains like Sandals, Iberostar, Starwood and the Fairmount. In all honesty I was amazed at how well run this hotel was. The rooms were spotless, the staff was professional and very kind. Also I really enjoyed the food. Like any hotel the a la carte menu is much better than the buffet. The pool area was always clean and they always had plenty of staff to assist you and serve you food and drinks. During my stay (6 days) I must of had at least 8 Cretan Salads. They were amazing! My wife and I do not have any children but the kids at the pool and on the beach did not bother us. There are many activities organized by the hotel to keep them busy. Every day there are different activities for the guests but my favourite was the Greek night. It takes place in the village side of the hotel right in the center of the small town. The food at the event is amazing and after that night I became the master of the Drunken Greek Dance. What a blast! I highly recommend this hotel and the island of Samos for anyone that wants to relax and really experience the Greek life. I stated many Pros to this hotel and in all fairness I have to state at least one con. The only con I have is that you have to pay for the beach chairs on the actual beach. I have travelled to many places in Greece and this is often the norm. The reason I believe this is done is because many of the locals visit the beach and the hotel does not want over crowding. To be honest I did not mind it that much it allowed us to meet some of the locals and we even got invited out for dinner to a small city called Kokkari. The only thing I would change this time around is that I am going to book a villa in the village section of the hotel. It is amazing. It has a church, cafe shop and even a small market. All it is missing is the little Greek old ladies wearing all black to sit on the steps of each Villa. Doryssa we will see you in August!

Room Tip: Get a ocean view or something in the village.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Trip K
Doryssa, Guest Relations Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear sir,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review about our hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us and had a relaxing holiday. All our personnel is very polite and service minded and they always provide their best to our guests. As you mentioned our guests can enjoy their privacy in our premises though there are many children around due to the different activities organized and also due to the facilities and magnitude of the hotel. Greek night is a spectacular event that we organize every week and all our guests enjoy at most.

Pressuming that we charge the sun beds at the beach because we have outsource visititors is an option but there is also another reason. We are actually do not own the beach, we rent it from the Municipality, so we charge that small amount of money in order to cover that cost. On top of that we provide towel service and service call button on the umbrellas free of charge.

We are happy to hear that you will visit us again in August. We wish you a nice summer till then and we are expecting you in Doryssa Seaside Resort.

Best Regards,

Guest Relations Department

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Myself and family went to this hotel in early May it is given a 5 star rating by Thomson holidays we paid a lot of money for the 14days we were there especially as it was out of season! the rooms are very small and don't look anything like they appear on the website and we were led to believe that was what we were getting there is no indoor swimming pool as stated the food was very poor and the same most days it was also cold by the time you got to your table, the drinks were very expensive in the bar! I don't see how they can claim it is 5 star it's 2-3 star at most! The staff were friendly and being on the beach was a bonus!

Room Tip: Make sure you are told which rooms you will be getting we weren't told there were diff grades of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank kitachik .
Doryssa, Guest Relations Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear guests,

Greetings from Doryssa Seaside Resort. Thank you for your feedback. We feel the need to respond to you in order to avoid any misunderstanding caused by your comments.

The room shown on our website (the classic garden view room) is the same room that you were accommodated in during your stay with us, as all the rooms of this type have the same size and decoration. As far as the indoor swimming pool is concerned, this information was given by mistake on Thomson’s site, which has been corrected now.

The food served in our buffet is different every day and consists of a variety of food suitable even for vegetarian guests. The prices in our bars are reasonable in comparison with other 5* hotels and also we offer a variety of drinks in different prices suitable for everybody.

It is appreciated that you enjoyed the friendliness of our personnel and the location of our premises.

We wish you all the best and hope you will have a nice summer.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have spent a weekend 2 weeks ago for a reunion with my childhood friends at Doryssa hotel. It is located by the beach. It is given 5 stars but I am not convinved. It is clean, well maintenied. Staff is helpfull. Proximity to beach is a bonus but since it is a very popular hotel in Scandinavian tourists, and they travel with kids, a lot of kids, you may not enjoy the calamity and peace of beach. We stayed a sea view room. It was ok.Hotel rate is higher for its quality. On top of that, travels are charged for beach faclities. Since it is far from popular areas, I believe no one comes from outside and there is no reason to charge for umbrela or bed. If you have kids, you may consider to stay at this hotel, otherwise you may find better and reasonable options in the island.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank erkanyay
Doryssa, Guest Relations Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear sir,

Greetings from Doryssa Seaside Resort. Thank you for your feedback. It is true that all our personnel are doing their best to provide a clean and service minded environment to our guests.

We would like to inform you that our resort is suitable for adults and children, and although a part of our guests are families with children, it is quite easy to find a peaceful spot on the beach, in the gardens or in one of our lobbies.

The beach in front of the hotel is situated only 800m from the village of Pythagorio, so a lot of people visit us every day, especially during the high season. Furthermore, the beach doesn’t belong to the hotel but to the Municipality, and therefore we cannot prevent outsource clients from visiting us. That is also the reason why there is a charge for the sun beds, on the contrary of the pool area which belongs to the hotel, where the sun beds are free of charge.
We appreciate all comments received and reassure you that we are doing our best every day to meet our guests expectations.

With kind regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Waiters definitely were not overfriendly but pretty OK. Reception, head waiter etc. were good.

Good value for money. The sunchairs at the beach could have been for free.

Sleep Quality
Silent - we had a good night rest

Good food - very fresh!

Cleanliness
Ok clean.

Location
A 15min walk to the pictoresque town of pythagorion

Rooms
Nicely renovated and romantic rooms!

Kids activities
Not much.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Martin Z
Doryssa, Guest Relations Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your nice evaluation.

It is always a priority for our personnel to provide the best service possible to our guests and to make their stay with us memorable.

In regard to your comments about the sun beds charge on the beach, we would like to inform you that our beach area is being leased by the Municipality, therefore there is a charge for the sun beds, on the contrary of the pool area which belongs to the hotel, where the sun beds are free of charge.

In addition, we provide on the beach towel service and service from the pool bar directly to your sun bed without any extra charge, by using the service button placed on the umbrellas.

We hope that you enjoyed your holidays in Samos and that we will see you again in Doryssa Seaside Resort sometime in the near future.

Αngie Vasileiou

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Doryssa claims it is a five star resort but it is obvious that they have never stayed in a Five Star hotel themselves. It is expensive for what it is. I never made breakfast but heard from friends that they were not thrilled with it. I had a bungalow room right on the beach, which was nice BUT wifi was patchy, aircon was temperamental and I expected to have some Korres or Apivita products in the bathroom but alas had to make do with their own shower gel and shampoo which was nothing special. My real displeasure came about on my last day when I was telephoned at 11am by reception asking me if I was ready to check out by 12 - that has NEVER happened to me in ANY hotel I have ever stayed at around the world. When I asked for extended check out they advised that it was impossible as the new guests were already here - I thought standard checking in time was at 2pm. The hotel then telephoned me again at 12 to see if I was ready for check out. When I told them I was, they sent a member of staff down to take my luggage. He took ages to arrive & he then left with my luggage taking it to reception. When I got to reception my luggage was nowhere to be found, neither was the staff member, only when I asked at reception did they point me in the direction of the luggage room. At no point did they ask a member of staff to accompany me to the luggage room or to bring me my luggage. Whilst paying the bill the receptionist informed me that I had left some swimming trunks in the room. They told me they would bring them up to me... I waited and waited and waited... Nobody bothered to keep me informed... After 1/2 hour I left to go to the hotel next door. I telephoned Doryssa asking if they could send the trunks over as the hotel was next door as I couldn't wait any longer at reception. They advised they couldn't do this. Any of the other 5 Star hotels I have stayed at would have brought it over. In general the service and attitude of some of the staff at Doryssa sucks.

Also a 5 Star hotel that caters for weddings should have more clarity over charges as I heard a rumour that the hotel was not able to give a proper receipt for the wedding costs and the wedding planner who had never mentioned a fee to the couple during negotiations only mentioned it when the newlywed happy couple went to pay the bill. Again no receipt was provided. For a country in crisis and a hotel that claims it is Five Star worthy, this is not acceptable behaviour. As a lover of Samos I will never stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Kostas K
Doryssa, Front Office Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank for posting your experience on Trip Advisor. We would like to reassure you that our personnel is always doing its best to satisfy our guests and to provide them a wonderful stay, and are sorry to hear that at some point our service didn't meet your expectations.

With regards your comment about the check out time, we would like to inform you that during the month of July the resort was fully booked, so it is natural to request our guests to leave their room by 12 o’clock on their departure date, in order to have the rooms ready on time for the new check in at 14:00. We believe it is a usual practice in every hotel all over the world.

As for the breakfast, we regret that you didn't taste our breakfast and therefore was not able to express your own opinion. We invite you to read some other guests’ comment regarding our breakfast, as they are always very positive, not only on Trip Advisor, but in several feed backs that we receive from our guests.

We wish you all the best and hope to be able to welcome you another time in our resort, and offer you a pleasant stay that will fulfil your expectations.

Nathalie Grivel
Room Division Manager

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We caught the ferry from Kusadasi to Samos on a beautiful sunny day in late August. When we arrived at the hotel I was intrigued with the large "faux " village in which the resort is located. It reminded me of the Welsh village from the old TV series Prisoner with Patrick Magee. We were taken to an amazing room overlooking the pool and ocean. Our room was beautifully clean, modern and spacious with a large balcony and windows across the width of the room. The village shop has drinks and snacks so we filled our fridge with things we liked. There are lots of activities in the hotel and the spa is very pleasant.
This is a large,busy resort which caters to families so if you are looking for an intimate small hotel this will not be for you. However, we were there on our own and very happy to watch children, parents and grandparents enjoying a family holiday. Everyone is catered for. The beach is just in front of the hotel and we stayed on the beach swimming and reading very happily for 2 days. Other days were spent exploring this green, pretty island. Ocean and beach were clean and we could see there were many water activities which could be booked, if desired. The environment is outstanding; beautiful ocean views, ancient ruins, an old castle and mountain villages closeby. Pythagorion is a charming town about 15 minutes walk from the resort. Plenty of restaurants and coffee shops and enough tourist shops to be interesting without overwhelming the character of this buzzy town. Food at the hotel is buffet style but is very good considering the number of guests who eat in the main 2 restaurants; alternatively a walk to one of the many restaurants in Pythagorion is fun. Staff are outstanding; very pleasant and helpful. Happy to do a return visit.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are good for couples. Families might prefer the villas.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank AngieP712
Doryssa, Front Office Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guests,

We thank you for your nice post, and are very happy that you had such a good experience in Doryssa during your last stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again very soon, and wish you in the meantime a wonderful winter time!

With kind regards,

Nathalie Grivel
Room Division Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pythagorion
Fito Aqua Bleu Resort
15 mi away
Samaina Inn Hotel
Samaina Inn Hotel
#1 of 8 in Karlovasi

Been to Doryssa Seaside Resort? Share your experiences!