A good thing about Doryssa Seaside Resort is that it is close to the airport. By car it takes around 3 minutes from the airport to the hotel. As Samos airport isn't that busy, airplanes landing and taking off shouldn't be much an issue (although they are very loud when they do pass by). Howeve, since the hotel is actually located much closer to the runway threshold than Pythagorio itself, one can argue whether the location is ideal or not. The walk into town takes about 15 minutes, but is really dull as you pass basically nothing. Because the distance is relatively far and competition is relatively low, prices are relatively high. As noted before, a Greek salad is around €7,50 which I estimate to be around 20-40 % higher than the mean. Similarily, a sunbed is a whopping €3 per day which is not acceptable EVEN THOUGH the beach is private. Guests should not pay anything for this, after all the room isn't cheap and most guests probably chose the hotel for its beach access.
Since we arrived on a morning flight from Copenhagen, the room was not ready upon arrival. The hotel offered to store out luggage, and in reality this meant that the bags were left outside the reception building with minimum surveillance. Anyone could have just taken our bags and left. This is something I noticed throughout the week when people arrived and left. When the room finally was ready we stepped into a room that, just like the entire hotel, lacked of a true five star feeling. The room was clean and all, but very basic and cheap. There is no good place to put your suitcase meaning it gets pretty messy if you (like us) are three persons in d double room. Besides, that was a real mistake as the additional bed was extremely hard and small. The bathroom is also small (there isn't even room for a zink) and there is no door in the shower cabin meaning that you'll have to cope with wet floors. The room was made every day though.
The hotel caters mainly to Scandinavian package tourists and a majority of these are families with (small) children. Since children are running around the hotel, occupying the pool area and many activities are child-related (such as the Bamse parade) it is hard to relax just the way you would expect from a five star resort. For families I am sure that this is a great hotel, but anyone else (like for couples or friends) I am sure that there are better options in the same price range in Pythagorio. Unless I am travelling with children, I will never chose this hotel again as it simply takes away all the fun.
What I liked most about the hotel is (a) the free WiFi which actually works all around the complex (at least in the reception, in the rooms and around the pool) and (b) the breakfast buffet. On some days you can order an omelette on demand at the egg station, which I enjoyed the days it was possible. It was a shame that this option magically disappeared for a few days during my 7 nights long stay. On the second day of absence I asked a staff memember when the service would be available again and I received a somewhat unclear answer: "today no, yesterday ok".
Avoid at all costs unless travelling with children or like the idea of having them all around you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Doryssa Seaside Resort is situated in the southern part of Samos, next to the historical and most popular destination of Pythagorion. After a full renovation finished in 2006, combined with completely new upgraded services, it has become a 5 star destination. Lovely areas stylish and tasteful. Doryssa village constructions recreate a traditonal Samos village. Doryssa village and the main hotel structure are situated by the seaside! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Doryssa Seaside Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doryssa Seaside Hotel Pythagorion
- Doryssa Seaside Pythagorion
- Doryssa Seaside Resort Samos/Pythagorion