“Nice property, OK service, horrible orange juice”

Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Pythagorion
Berlin
“Nice property, OK service, horrible orange juice”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in July 2011. Here is my two cents below:

Pros:
- Nice property with a small "village" like atmosphere complete with its own church
- Clean and maintained well
- Very clean beach and clear water
- Nice pool (but can be overrun with kids and teenagers)
- Lots of activities
- Comfortable rooms
- Samos is amazing!
- Good food

Cons:
- Sometimes rude waitstaff at lobby and restaurant
- Treat Italians like Gods, Americans and Germans just OK
- Extras are ridiculously expensive (pay extra to use their beach loungers, internet wi-fi expensive and doesn't work in the rooms, drinks expensive)
- Quite possibly the worst orange juice I've ever tasted. It's orange powder mixed with water at the restaurant and in in the lobby. What other five star serves powered orange juice? Gross.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank warpath123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Me and my family visited this hotel last summer.
We stayed in the village part with our own enterence and balcony!
We had half pension so we had either breakfast/lunch or breakfast/dinner and the food was really good. Hotel has a swimming pool which is not that large. I can really recommend this resort.

Room Tip: I can recommend the village part of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The service at this hotel was below average. My mother and I had traveled for 10 hours to get to Samos, and when we arrived at the hotel we didn't expect an immediate check in, as we knew the rooms wouldn't be done yet. However: we had to sit in over 30 degrees for three hours waiting, and we were not even offered a drink to cool off. The piccolo's are just out for your money, and if they tell you they will look out for your suitcase while you're away, they let it stand outside and they are not around watching it. The receptionist with the curly brown hair were rude and didn't inform us about anything. When we tried to ask her questions she pretended to not understand, and walked away. When we finally got the room, it was in the first floor with no sea view, opposite of what we had ordered. We asked the rude receptionist about this, and she just said that our room was the only room left. The next day, some Italian people checked in and got a big room at the 4th floor. Italians are accepted here; whereas Scandinavians are treated like insects in compare. If you come from Norway, like we are, don't go here unless you like to feel worthless.
To mention some pro's: good food, quick service at the beach bar, nice nice at the hotel area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Hannah H
London
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I should probably start by saying that we booked our holiday independentely as so were aware that we would be paying more for our holiday and were paying too much for a Greek hotel but do feel it was even more bad value than we expected.

Stayed in a junior suite in the hotel for 10 days in July. Our room was lovely, we had a fantastic sea view right at the end of the hotel and it was very spacious but there's no way we could have stayed in one of the normal rooms, I think I would have suffered claustraphobia. How 2 adults and a child manage is beyond me. The hotel and grounds are beautiful - the village section is very quaint although we didn't venture into it often.

The breakfast was very poor. Considering it is a 5 star hotel I would expect a fresh egg station - an omlette of the day is put out with the hot food but was generally just an egg brick. I know 5 star in Greece is not generally the usual 5 star but when paying the price we did I would expect at least one fresh juice with my breakfast.

My other gripe is the sun lounger issues. Yes, I was aware that sun loungers on the beach were an additional charge but I did not realise they were run by the hotel and that the sun loungers around the hotel were possibly the most uncomfortable I have ever sat on - I lasted an hour and was very sore from it. There are also not enough "free" sun loungers so you either HAVE to pay for the ones on the beach or sit on the grass. Again, not really what you expect from a 5 star hotel.

I also had a facial in the spa and it wasn't great. It was a special offer so maybe that was the reason but it wasn't worth the money (even at the discount).

It's difficult to completely slate the hotel as we did have a lovely holiday and when we spoke to the manager about a lot of our concerns he was very knowledgable and helpful so hopefully the issues we raised with him have been ironed out.

Samos is a great holiday location and we really enjoyed the town of Pythagorion - possibly my favouite. The hotel is ideally placed about a 15 minute walk from the shops and restaurants. You can also easily get the Dolphin to other islands and Samos is small enough to have a couple of days in the car and see some of the lovely little seaside villages. We would definitely go back but save our money and rent a self catering apartment as there are plenty of beaches to use.

Room Tip: The suites are definitely worth paying for, if you can, for the extra space it gives you.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ClareMad
Schaijk
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We have visit Doryssa for the second time. This year we went in September. We had a great week, Thanks to the staff and the reception. Good food, a beautiful room in the Village Area and a perfect location. This is a place where we want to come back every year

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
ATHENS
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I have never been in Samos before and I found a seriously beautiful island. What I didn’t expect to discover is this Superb hotel. I visited Doryssa the last 3 days of September 2011 and the hotel was fully occupied. The people working there are very polite and the service was really good. The hotel has two different set ups, one main building and one amazingly designed and executed “feel like” traditional Greek village. The sea in front of the hotel is very clean and the beach stretches long enough to accommodate state of the art water sports without interfering with the swimmers. Moreover, there is a very big beach bar and at its back there is a serious beach volley court, tennis court and a five aside football court. My spa experience was wonderful. Spa might be small but very atmospheric and the service is very professional. There is an array of things a visitor can do in the hotel, the best though is a stroll though the village and a visit at the traditional coffee shop or creperie at the vibrant village’s square. My room was in the main building and what stroke me the most was the quality; nicely decorated, well maintained and super clean. Last but not least (and as my name proclaims) my comments on food cannot be omitted. All the meals at the main restaurant had great variety to choose from, with simple flavors but very well executed and presented. The highlight is the a la cart restaurant, situated under the trees between the pools and the sea front. The menu has nothing fuzzy-fusion-ethnic concept but the quality and quantity of the food is overwhelming and reversely proportional to the cost. This place offered me by far the best value for money culinary experience I ever had; the scenery, the service and the food quality were amazing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank LOUKOULOS
Doryssa, Front Office Manager at Doryssa Seaside Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Loukoulos,

We would like to thank you for staying in Doryssa Seaside Resort and for sharing your opinion with other people. We feel really happy when we receive so good comments from our guests. We will try hard not only to keep up but also to improve ourselves in order to receive an even more supporting review from you after your next stay with us!

We wish you a nice winter!

Best regards,

Alain Galanos
Rooms Division Manager
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Almost two weeks since we came back from Samos, where we spent 7 days in Doryssa Seaside Resort.

We stayed in a village room in the village part of the hotel, and we really loved it. The village looks like a real Greek village, with square, church and shops. Very original..

Food very tasty, great selection of breakfast items, and dinner buffet very nice too.

We wanted to have a special A La Carte dinner, but unfortunately their new A La Carte restaurant by the beach, had already closed for the season. That's strange for a 5 star hotel, not to have any A La Carte restaurants.

The hotel beach is the best we have ever experienced in Greece. Great comfortable sun lounges, with a button to call the waiters and give them your drinks or food orders. There is a 3 Euro charge per person which we did not like, but the excellent service of the beach boys, made it worth it.

There is also a watersports center at the edge of the hotel's beach, but we did not use it.

Service in the Hotel in general is of high standards throughout the resort, and everybody is super polite. Drinks in the main bar at night, a little too high, but there was live music some nights.

Samos island is also very beautiful, we rented a car for 2 days and saw all of it.

We also took the day long excursion to Turkey -Kusadasi- which gave us an idea about Turkey bazaar and life style.

All together, we recommend Doryssa is perfect for a relaxing holiday, with excellent service, and fantastic beach.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Michael M
Dear Michael M,

Thank you very much for choosing Doryssa Seaside Resort for your stay in Samos and for posting your positive review. Your feedback rewards the efforts of our staff.
We all in Doryssa work hard to maintain the high level of the services provided to our guests but also to improve them.

We wish we have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Best regards,

Alain Galanos
Rooms Division Manager
Doryssa Seaside Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pythagorion
Fito Aqua Bleu Resort
#1 of 8 in Karlovasi
Armonia Bay Hotel
Armonia Bay Hotel
#1 of 20 in Kokkari

Been to Doryssa Seaside Resort? Share your experiences!