“Stunning Hotel!”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Lassi
essex
“Stunning Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Having just returned from a lovely week at the Thalassa hotel we are very surprised to read the previous negative comments about the same place! We couldn't fault the helpfulness of the staff, cleanliness and efficiency of service. The beautiful rooms were kept spotless by the hard working housekeepers. Angela and her team bent over backwards to assist us with everything from car hire to restaurant recommendations (which were spot on). Although we had booked a twin bedded room we asked if it was possible to have a double and the Angela was very accomodating. The pool did not seem overcrowded and there was always a sunbed free. As a couple, we had initially looked at booking Adult only holidays but due to the style of this hotel we were relieved to find it was not overun with excitable children! The view was simply stunning and our room perfectly positioned with balcony overlooking the sea. We highly recommend this hotel, especially to couples who want a quiet location close to the main town of Lassi. Thank you Angela and your team for all your hard work, we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kat w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Greek first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just got back from a week in Thalassi and so chilled and relaxed as a result! Single mum, with a teenage son and the place, facilities and location - perfect for us! Our room might not have had the designer colours and tweaks some of the photos showed, but it was incredibly spacious,beds wonderfully comfortable, terrifically clean, a shower to die for and a view to the ocean that was worth everything we paid! This place is quite incredible and what puts it above all other properties we have stayed at is the extraordinary staff attention and level of service offered from breakfast service to room cleaning and front of house, but you need to ask for what you want and it will be delivered! They work on being subtle and unobtrusive, which is just lovely in this day and age. Angela and her team gave us a quite wonderful holiday - we will be back - Thank you

4 Thank anne b
surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel was advertised as a 'Luxury Boutique Hotel' via Secret Escapes and I looked at the website, which contained some lovely photographs of the interior designed reception areas and rooms that bore no resemblance to ours.

Having stayed here, my immediate comments are that this is not a luxury hotel and neither is it a 'boutique hotel'. It is a nicely presented small (by commercial standards) 'package holiday' hotel, with a high turnover and, if that is what you are after, then great. However, please read on!

What is impossible to ascertain from the Thalassa Hotel website, or any other advertising on its behalf, is that the pool is shared with the Silo Apartments (photo attached). I began to query the element of 'luxury' and 'boutique' when we daily shared the pool, to the extent that we were unable to use it ourselves; it was literally overrun by children and teenagers. Fine, but that is not what was advertised and it was not what we booked. Nowhere in their advertising do they declare this fact.

Other guest also found this a great problem and made their own complaints to the staff (not everybody follows this up with a review on TripAdvisor and this is an extremely rare event for us). It was also notable that approximately only three metres separate the two pools and, as the Thalassa pool is the larger, most Silo guests, and their children, opted to use the Thalassa pool, the Silo pool remaining almost empty.

We had booked for two weeks direct with the hotel and had paid the entire sum upfront. After one week of contending with a pool and gym that could not be used, we decided that we would cut our losses and move.

The gym is also not as shown on their website. It is only a small basement hotel room and half of the machines were out of order. The management were also unable to coordinate use of the room. In addition, having stayed for one week, we had to ask for the floor and table tops in our room to be cleaned...they had not been touched and daily cleaning was confined to the bare minimum, despite that fact that we kept our room fastidiously tidy.

Please note that I have still not arrived at the most worrying part of this review!

Having taken the pool, gym, lack of service and cleanliness into account, we decided that we needed to move, albeit at a financial loss, although we were privately hoping that the manager, Angela Kalafati, would make some minor gesture.

We sat down with Miss Kalafati and explained our decision to move, on the basis that the hotel was not as advertised and we had not had use of the pool or gym. Her response was that a boutique hotel is defined only by its size (I beg to differ) and she made no attempt to ask how she could improve our stay. We were very polite, to the point that she later stated that there could not have been a problem because 'we were smiling'. It is my experience that people do not move hotels at their own financial loss if there is not a problem.

We moved to a nearby hotel that was only approximately 100 metres away and we asked to meet with Miss Kalafati to check out. We were informed that she was unavailable, although we noted that she had been available on every other day. This resonates with other negative reviews.

We had informed Thalassa of where we had moved to and stated that we would be free to meet at any time that day to check out. They also had our personal mobile contact details. It was not until late that evening that we received a call at our new hotel, from Miss Kalafati.

I took the call and asked to meet to check out and hand over the key (we were still paying for the room but it was free to be let out again). Miss Kalafati refused to meet with us, twice, and then threatened to call out the Tourist Police. She stated that she would falsely accuse us of refusing to return the key!! I am only grateful that the staff in reception where we were now staying were present to witness this behaviour, which they seemed to find fairly appalling.

I pointed out to Miss Kalafati that I was only 100 metres away and I duly returned the key but she was far from pleased to meet with me. Miss Kalafati showed no concern whatsoever regarding the immense stress that her false accusation may have caused, especially if followed through. Her actions showed that she has no professional or moral compass.

It is interesting to note Nandia E's review, posted on 23 July 2012. They also state that Miss Kalafati was rude in the face of an unhappy customer. Reading Miss Kalafati's response, my only comment is that, as a 'professional hotel manager' she needs to perhaps understand that people do not post negative reviews because they are "vengeful", as she states. People post negative views because they have had a bad experience.

My own measured view is that the test of a good manager is how they handle a situation when it goes wrong, not when it goes right.

My advise is, if you do decide to book this hotel, don't pay upfront. Also, cross reference the reviews.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
20 Thank louirvm
AngelikiKalafati, Manager at Thalassa Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip advisor. We are sad to see any guest dissatisfaction with their experience with us. Our consistent practice is to talk with any guest with concerns or complaints of any kind, whether when they are at the premises of the Hotel or (if they are already home) by email / phone.

I must say that I, and think many other reviewers, simply disagree with the negative image you have so skilfully tried to portray. Having read your review, please allow me to point out the following:

To begin with, the room where you have been allocated was a superior room with sea view, the exact one that our web site is shown, although your reservation was for a standard double room. After you have check in your room, you came personally to me and thanked me about the beautiful room that we offered you. Yet, in your review you are referring that the room was not as described or shown. During the 10 days where you stayed, no complaint was made about the room. I ask myself, as you disliked the hotel so much , or the room was not as described or shown, why did you not try to move or cancel your booking from day 1 ?

Can a complimentary upgrade to a superior room for the full 10 nights of your stay be considered bad service? Perhaps you forgot to mention these points in your review.

Thalassa Hotel is a hotel opened to families and to couples .Nowhere is to find or advertised that children are not permitted to the Hotel. It seems that your complaints about the teenagers are unfair, as you travelled yourself with your teenage son. I don’t recall when I personally made the reservation with you, to have asked me if the Hotel is only for couples, singles or if children are not allowed.

The Gym is opened to all of our guests, but you wished to have it personally for yourself during your stay. We had tried to make than happen, but at some days that was not possible when the Hotel is fully booked, and are also other people, who wish to use it.

Our Gym is equipped with the well known equipment of Technogym. As we try to offer some extra facilities, and due to the fact that our Hotel is small in size, we took advantage of any extra space we had. It is true that due to the bad use of the equipment in the Gym by some guests, 2 machines went out of order, and unfortunately the exclusive service must come from Athens, which takes some time. This is of course something that we try to work on it, and find a solution for the future.

Regarding the Housekeeping standards, as you see from 90% of the guest reviews, your comments are not doing any justice, as we had extra cleaning service especially on the floor of your room, due to the san tan oil you deliberately were splitting on the floor.

To continue, when at the 10th day of your stay, you asked to talk to me; I was immediately at your disposal, as I was every day, if I may add. Specifically you told me that although the service is fantastic, and you have had no problem with the standards of accommodation, you were driven to change Hotel, because of the Hotel being full and commented about guests being rude to you or reading newspapers by the pool, which was not your preference

Of course, if you have had a problem with your room, we would have gone out of our way to satisfy you in any possible and logical way we could.

To conclude the most worrying part of this review, you have left it out:

In the morning of your 11th day you checked out immediately, without waiting to receive your bill and left and of course you had taken the key with you on purpose and of course you did not mention in which Hotel you were about to stay

This had caused a big problem, as there was another guest waiting to check in, and we were obliged for safety reasons to change lockers on the door, as the previous guest was holding the key, which is property of the Hotel. . It is true, that I was not available during you check out, but then again it is quite impossible to be always on spot for the guests check out. This is why Front Desk employees are responsible for. Nevertheless, later on, on the same day, I was again available, and I personally called you.

We have spent hours to call in all nearby Hotels to enquire if you had checked in, and when we found out in which Hotel you were staying and spoke to you on the phone you refused to give us the keys, although we have politely asked you to do so. You refused by telling us that you had paid for the room for 14 nights and the keys belonged to you.

At the end, when you left us with no other choice, and you came at the Hotel in order to give us the keys, and in front of other guests, I found myself surprisingly shocked, as I was the target of insults, personally addressed to me.

On a last note, regarding the total charge of your stay, I must clarify, that the special offer which you choose to book, was a non refundable discounted offer. The conditions are stated and clarified on our official web site. Have you had a problem with the room given to you and having known that from the beginning, we would happily made an exception and refund you back a certain amount. Guests are also given the choice not to prepay their holiday. It is just an option, and not a mandatory one.

Last but not least, Thalassa Hotel is indeed a Hotel with high turnover, which makes it a successful and popular Hotel, as people wish to stay here, and we take pride in this.

In no way, I am implying that Thalassa Hotel is perfect in every way. But then again there are no perfect hotels. I do however disagree, with almost all of the points that you mention. Your comments are untrue, unfair and disrespectful to our business to our guests not to mention to me personally.

I do however agree with you in one thing, people are tested when things go wrong and not when things go right and of course we always try to get better day by day. That is why 90% of the reviewers recommend Thalassa Hotel

We do not claim to be luxury, and the price you have paid reflects totally on value for money.

We do take pride though, of being Greek, we believe in constructive criticism, in genuine Greek hospitality and are confident that our hotel offers good value for money, a high standard of accommodation but most importantly: friendly, hospitable service.

Angela Kalafati
Manager of Thalassa Hotel
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

It feels like we are reviewing a different hotel to the one which gets such good reviews.
Our experience (travelling as a family with two teenagers, and with our family friends also with two adults and two teens) is as follows:

- we booked a Junior Suite for ourselves and a sea view room for our teenagers (having read that the suites were worth paying the extra for)
- with 2 days notice before our holiday was due to start, we were advised by email that the hotel had a problem with its booking system and as a consequence we would be spending the first 5 days of our 10 day holiday at a different hotel 12kms away. Unfortunately our family friends were told the same, but were transferred to a different (and inferior) hotel for 2 nights in Lassi. Obviously this turned upside down our plans for having a joint holiday.
-we tried to speak to the hotel manger (Angela) before we left, but to no avail, being told she was "away for a few days".
- On arrival in Kefalonia, the only compensation we received was a Fiat Panda car hire during the period we were in the other hotel.
- When we finally booked in to the Thalassa (after 4 nights), we were shown to our suite. It was actually in a half basement, the door did not open properly, the room smelt musty, and was furnished in a "shabby chic" style (more shabby than chic). with faded and dirty furniture.
- Outside our door was a birds' nest (complete with droppings) and the housekeeping station where rubbish was transferred to each day. It is a far cry from the suites advertised in the main block above reception, for which we thought we had paid.
- the shared pool area is ok but umbrellas are torn. The neighbouring pool bar another gets very crowded. Rubbish bins there seemed to be always full to overflowing.
There is no bar to provide a focal point - real missed opportunity given the fabulous view from reception over Agostoli Bay.
- the 'fitness centre' is simply a converted bedroom. Two of the five machines were out of order.
- the wifi is available only in reception area, but did not work most of the time.
-the 'spa' is non-existent - it is simply an arrangement with a nearby hotel;
- breakfasts are fine, although don't live up to the website descriptions. The real problem is that it's impossible to sit outside because of the wasps; the small breakfast area inside therefore gets very, very crowded.
- The hotel is clearly poorly managed; it appears to run on little more than a skeleton staff and corners seem to be cut at every opportunity
We tried throughout our holiday to speak to Angela, the Manager, regarding both the overbooking and the poor state of our accommdation. Despite leaving numerous messages she was never available by phone, email or in person. It is almost as if she deliberately avoided us. We did not meet her or have anay contact at all whilst we were there. We complained to the reception ladies who were very nice but didn't have any authority to do more than agree and sympathise with us.
Our experience has therefore been very disappointing. It is certainly not worth the cost (4200 euros) for 10 days bed and breakfast. Please do not stay at this hotel.

10 Thank NPH2013
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have just returned from a week's stay at this hotel and found from the moment we entered a very hospitable reception.

The only negative point was the Standard room and we would suggest picking a Suite or Superior Room. The pictures of the Standard rooms on the website do not resemble the room we were offered. Angela, the owner was very obliging and offered to put us in a ground floor Suite, but we opted to stay in the Standard as the view was breathtaking and the room was a lot brighter.. The rooms were very clean. Angela goes out of her way to make sure your stay is relaxed and enjoyable.

Breakfast is very good with a large variety and again the staff are very helpful.

Location is very good, a 5 minute walk to the beach and a 10/15 minute walk to the tavernas and cafes where there is a good selection to choose from. Average price for 3 is around 50 Euros with wine. We found a good taverna at the top of the high street called Amirvos (or something like that!) where the waiter service was extremely friendly and offered you a free dessert sampler and cocktail..

We hired a car for two days which is essential if you want to see the island, which is breathtaking. We also visited the cave at Drogarati which took you in a small boat and the water was beautiful, also the stalactite cave at Melissani.

All in all a very enjoyable holiday (wish I was still out there) and not in rainy England!

Room Tip: Choose a Suite or Superior
1 Thank Jules1824
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

The rooms are spacious and very well equipped we had amazing views overlooking the sea. The breakfast was delicious and the staff are very helpful and extremely friendly. It has a very homely atmosphere. Its a short walk to the beach and 500m to the main road with a variety of restaurants, bars and cafés. I loved the island and would definitely return to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie K
Sturovo, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have booked the Thalassa hotel directly throught the hotels website which gave us plenty of information to base our decision on.
I can definitely say that our stay was very pleasant and enjoyed our time spent there to the full. There has been a minor mix up with room allocations at the beginning of our stay but it was dealt with very proffessionally and did not negatively effect our stay at all. Our suite was lovely with a nice view and garden patio. Due being located on the ground floor it was naturally cool and so we ended up using the aircon rarely.
Location of the hotel is the best being on the starting point to every sightseeing location on the island within max 1 hour, for people braver to drive around cliffs even less :) Tips given on the reception by the two lovely ladies are spot on and we were greatful for all the reservations and info they gave us during our stay.
Defintely good idea to rent a car while on the island to be able to just stop by at the locations that seem and usually are very charming. This again was done through reception and got very good rates even though we decided to rent just for two days.
Breakfast is fantastic with local specialties and cold cuts and sweets and fruit and all you can imagine a perfect breakfast should have. Freshened up regularly even for the late comers. Overall a lovely holiday at a charming hotel. Should we return to the island we will not think twice where to book.

Room Tip: If you are not fan of aircon book suite on ground floor with a lovely view of the bay/sea.
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LiliaBell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lassi
White Rocks Hotel & Bungalows
Dionysos Village Resort
Lefteris Village
Lefteris Village
#13 of 19 in Lassi

Been to Thalassa Hotel? Share your experiences!