“OK for a Budget Hotel”
Review of Albatros Hotel

Albatros Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Karteradhos
Reviewed July 7, 2010

The Albatros was my first stop on my recent trip to Greece. It was located near a market and a bus stop and within about a 15-20 min walk to Fira, the main town on Santorini. The staff were friendly, though surprisingly not as knowledgable as I would have thought of the area attractions. The room was clean and roomy and had a view of the greenery and pool. The daily breakfast was continental, with Greek yogurt, fruit, bread and cheese, tea, coffee, juices. Just enough.
I found the location to be convenient for a budget hotel. If I make it back to Santornini, I might prefer to stay in Fira or closer to the beach towns. I never felt the need for a rented car or a cab, though, as the bus system was readily available. The only odd quirk is the main bus station is in Fira and there are some locations you can't get to from another without having to travel back to the main bus station and change busses.
I enjoyed the sunsets from both Oia and Fira, and enjoyed both Kamari and Perrissa beaches. Visiting Ancient Thira is possible either on foot , if you're fit and have the time, or by cab (no need to pay a tour company). You an walk up or down on the Kamari side on the paved road, looking out for the random car, or on the Perrissa side on the dirt path which is more hiking, requiring shoes with traction.
Best meal on Santorini was had at Roka in Oia. Best Bellini cocktail was had at Enigma Cafe in Fira.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank lite29

Reviewed June 21, 2010

This hotel was part of our Gate 1 Travel package for our Honeymoon to Greece! I read many reviews on here so I would know what to expect and tried to remember points I wanted to write in my review!

The hotel itself is very clean and presentable, located on a side street just off the main road. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to Fira but it is not bad as it is all one main road and there are sidewalks. I actually liked not being in the middle of it all and coming "home" to a nice, quiet room. The bus stop is about 100ft (if even) from the hotel and I think from there you can go all around the island. We didn't try it out but frequently saw people standing there.

Right across the street is Rent A Bike where you can rent ATVs and scooters. The gentleman there was very friendly and we ended up renting an ATV for 2 days which cost us 15 euros/day (including helmets) plus 7 euros for a full tank of gas (as recommended by another reviewer!). We drove all around the island those 2 days and still had gas left. The ATV had a little trunk for putting our stuff. Only downside is the ATVs he rents don't have reverse. It is very easy to ride the ATV around the island as there are just a few major roads and you can pretty much park wherever you want.

Also conveniently close to Albatros is a supermarket which is great for stocking up on water and snacks on the cheap. There are a few restaurants and a crepe place nearby as well as a places to buy souvenirs.

The room is small but that is what European hotels are. The shower is super small but that seems also to be the status quo. The room is clean and comfortable. There is A/C and a fridge and we had a small balcony. I don't think there is a view from many of the rooms (unless it's of the pool). There is NO hairdryer (though I think maybe you can get one at the front?) and also no shampoo! I washed my hair with soap and that turned out to be horrible. I had to buy shampoo at the supermarket. They service your room everyday with clean towels.

Breakfast is from 8 to 10 and consists of coffee, juice, marble loaf, greek yogurt, honey, canned peaches, corn flakes, sandwich meat and cheese, hard boiled eggs and I think bread. It is a simple breakfast but surely satisfied our needs during our stay.

There is a computer in the lobby for internet use which I beleive was 2.50 euro for 1 hr which is inexpensive compared to other places we saw downtown. We didn't get to use it as there was often somewhere there or a line in front of us.

The girl at the front desk was very nice and helpful and I often heard lots of laughter as she conversed with clients. When we arrived the first night with no euros, she pointed us to a restaurant just down the street (Agape?) that would let us eat and pay the next day when we could get money. That was really nice!

We did visit the pool once but it was not heated so we mostly just lounged.

Overall, this hotel is a very nice place to stay. It is clean and comfortable. Location is good. We had a great time in Santorini and hopefully will go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank caflygrl
Reviewed June 3, 2010

This is a wonderful hotel. Away from the tourist area of Fira...but close enough to enjoy the crowds when you want to. The rooms are typical Greek style....not fancy, but very clean, quiet and all you really need. They have a computer in the lobby that you can use for a very low cost. The pool is lovely. The breakfast is also typical, the hard boiled eggs are a nice addition. Renting the ATV from across the street was great. For 8 euro extra you get an entire tank of gas. This is a real savings. We drove over the entire island for 2 solid days and still has gas leftover. Don't miss walking through the old town of Karteradhos (as the desk how to get there). The lovely woman who works the desk most of the time (Elenora) spoke very good English and was very helpful. We took the midnight ferry to Athens and checked out of the hotel at 10:00am. They allowed us to use their pool all day, then gave us towels to take a shower in the evening before our ferry crossing. Very nice place. Would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We spent 3 days in Santorini and the room met our basic needs. Be prepared for microscopic showers which is pretty standard on the Greek Islands (except for Athens). The staff speak NO english but try to be accomodating in every way and are pleasant. A good way to get around is by renting an ATV (aka Quad, Quattro) from Rent A Bike from across the street. It's 15 Euro for 24 hrs during off peak season. Ask for Attina or her husband. They are a lovely couple. Lots of great restaurants in Fira. The restaurants around the hotel are so so. The breakfast is scarce, consisting of bread, cereal, boiled egg, tea/coffee, and canned fruit daily.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2009

In the center of Karterados. Literally a 5 minute motorcycle/scooter/ATV ride away from the center of Fira. Clean, quiet, staff was very helpful. Breakfast included is continental.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The hotel was very nice and has just been newly painted and the pool was having a complete redo and the water was filling as we left...it looked beautiful with new tile and decking... the staff was friendly and helpful and the location was perfect. The bus to all the beaches was 50 meters away, and it was only a short uphill walk to Fira, that was not difficult. (it was simple at night---all down hill) The family was very nice and gave good information about where to go and what to do on Santorini.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TexasAuntiekay
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Subject: Albatros Hotel
Location: Karteradhos, Santorini, Cyclades, Greece
Title: Comfortable small hotel
ID#: 32292420

I enquired at the reception as to why the hotel is named Albatros. I was told that it is named after the great sea-bird. I then realised that the association of the big bird with a wearisome burden is confined perhaps to the Anglo-Saxon tradition because of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
The hotel is spotlessly clean. The rooms are good with all the usual amenities, but the bathroom is small, the shower area especially so.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was adequate. There were a number of good restaurants close by so we had our other meals there. There is a supermarket hardly 100 yards away where one can buy almost everything, including fresh fruit.
The bus stop is near the hotel gate. From there one can get buses to Fira. One can even walk to Fira-my wife and I are in our sixties and it took us about 20 minutes.From Fira one can get buses for Oia.The one way fare for each journey is 1.40 euro. So in 2.80 euro we reached Oia from the hotel. The frequency of the service is 1/2 hourly. From Oia we got a fabulous view of the Caldera and had some snacks at one of the lovely restaurants perched above the Caldera.We found once again that the greek vegetarian dishes taste quite like Indian food.
The swimming pool area of the hotel is niceish but it is quite near the road which goes in front of the hotel.
A.K. Srivastava

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank anandsrivastava
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karteradhos
Evgenia Villas & Suites
#9 of 15 in Karteradhos
Civitel Akali Hotel
Civitel Akali Hotel
#60 of 111 in Chania Town

Been to Albatros Hotel? Share your experiences!