Tripadvisor
Karteradhos
All reviews dorm room the bus yoga retreat great activities rooftop terrace including yoga shared bathroom two nights black beach wifi connection definitely recommend this place loved our stay caves hostel puppies oia island
Selected filters
Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

This hostel was, without a doubt, the best hostel I have ever stayed in. Despite the location being quite out of the centre (approx 25 mins walk to Fira) I could not recommend the place more. The rooms were beautiful, colourful and provided everything we needed, including a fridge which I thought was a nice touch. The hostel was quiet and peaceful, but also included a communal breakfast which allowed guests to interact. The pool was incredible and especially good on those hot summer days. Hostel has great activities for every night of the week, including yoga + dinner with locals. They also had puppies running around, and were raising money to get the dogs vaccinated and eventually adopted. Very clean, open hostel and absolutely beautiful. So colourful. The staff were wonderful and great that they had luggage storage as well.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2019 via mobile

We had the most amazing stay at Caveland santorini! It was the most beautiful hostel in a lovely, Greek setting. We loved the four puppies they had there while we stayed and they were so cute to play with whenever we wanted to. We also loved the beautiful, clean, pool to lie by. The staff were helpful and friendly, we loved the local dinner and the pasta movie night! The rooms were beautiful and it felt more like a hotel than hostel. Plus the area was quiet and away from the touristy part of santorini and in a much more beautiful area but easily accessible to Thira, oia and the black beach by bus. Couldn’t recommend it higher !

Date of stay: July 2019
Reviewed June 27, 2019 via mobile

The hostel is really far from the bus stand. It is somewhere in the wineyard. The only thing I liked about the hostel is my private room which was more like an apartment. The network in the hostel was really poor no wifi connection and no network as well
The breakfast was really poor.

At night there are no lights in the street it feels really isolated.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
kariotka, Owner at Caveland, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2019

Hello Divya

This is Veronika, I am the hostel manager and the lady who checked you in. Upon your arrival you stroke me as such a kind lady and I was so happy to see you really liked your room so your low rating of our property is somewhat surprising and makes our hard working team sad.

Upon your arrival I explained to you we are experiencing technical issues and that in the next working days the internet problem will be fixed. I also explained that you can get online at the reception where the wifi worked well. It was the weekend and there was no technician that could come to help. We are not a business hotel and therefor we do not think that it was such an important issue for guests who come and stay for 3 days and are eager to explore the island.

Our guests enjoy the off-beaten location especially because it is compared to the most of the island really quiet and ideal to relax after the day out. Our property is vast and therefor it could not be in a better location than it is. You are correct, we are nested in a vineyard because our property is a former 250 years old winery and most of it keeps still the original character. For this very reason we have been featured in numerous TV shows or printed publications. Moreover just few steps away from our lower gate there is a traditional core of Karterados village where you can see how people really live here, compared to glamorous Oia where you are looking just at hotels and tourists, no locals stay there anymore. Still we believe our hostel does not suit everybody but in the future I truly suggest you make more research about where you wish to stay.

Typical Greek breakfast is yoghurt with honey or preserved fruits, toast breads with marmalades or chocolate spreads, muesli. This is exactly what we offer plus variety of fresh fruits, typical local bread sticks, variety of tea and coffee. Moreover on Sunday our guests enjoy friend eggs and waffles. There are plenty of good bakeries in our village in case you were interested to taste some other stuff, too.

Still we hope you had good time at our Greek tasking dinner and enjoyed your time in Santorini.

Best regards

Veronika
Owner

Reviewed May 11, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at Caveland for 4 nights in May 2019. We found the hostel easily with directions they had provided after taking the bus from the airport. The staff were all really helpful and gave us recommendations on local activities and restaurants all of which were great! The free breakfast was delicious with a good selection of food. We stayed in a private double room which was basic but clean. Highly recommend the Greek tasting night which was so so tasty with plenty of food! Our highlights of the trip were exploring the island by ATV and the hike from Fira to Oia.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2019 via mobile

I arrived to Caveland late at night to discover that it was at the bottom of a somewhat intimidating alley way. It was late, so understandable that reception was not open but the key to my 4 bed female dorm was left on the door of the hostel where anyone could have come along and grabbed it. This made me feel unsafe and put others at risk as well as anyone could have entered the room.
The following day I found out that I had a family emergency and had to leave Greece early. I went to the reception desk when it opened and was greeted by an extremely rude individual who made me feel as if my guest experience did not matter at all. I understand there is a no cancellation policy but there is a kind way to say this, especially to someone in a crisis. I was told the manager would be arriving shortly so I waited, thinking maybe she would be more kind to me. When she got there I was told she was going to yoga and asked if I could wait another hour. I said no. We talked, she accused me of just trying to leave early because the ferries were going on strike and when I reiterated that I was leaving Greece due to a family emergency there was no sympathy. At the end of it all, I got one night of my 4 night stay paid back to me, which was appreciated, but the rudeness of the staff and unwelcoming atmosphere they created made me feel incredibly undervalued as a customer. I have no idea how this is a 4.5 star hostel. I met another traveler along the way who stayed here and said she had the same sort of interactions with the staff. Pay a bit more to stay closer to the city and at a place where you will be valued.
There are cute dogs in the alley and breakfast was alright but those are the only pros.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
kariotka, Owner at Caveland, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2019

Dear Danielle

This is Veronika, I am the hostel manager you spoke to. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy Caveland, at the same time we believe your stay in Caveland (less than 24 hours) was quite short to be able to evaluate properly all the areas (cleanliness, location, service and value).

I also would like to comment on the situation I witnessed-
Our receptionist Rochelle explained to you our cancellation policy and afterwards asked me to meet you. I was just about to head to teach my regular 9am morning class, but I decided to postpone the start of my class and decided to talk to you as I saw your distress. My tone was standard and I asked you kindly if your cancellation is due to strikes. We had many cancellations for this reason during that week. Strikes or rough weather conditions are considered to be Force Majeur (Will of God) and we reimburse the stays. As you did not comment further on your reasons of cancellation you either disliked our place or you had your own personal reasons you did not feel like sharing which is normal.

Moreover we explained to you our cancellation policy which is very standard for the hostels:
- Low season cancellation must come 24 hours before a standard check in time (3pm), otherwise we have to charge the night. Therefor you paid for the night you stayed and then for the next night. At the same time I said in case some guest decides to book (walk in, extensions of the stay) on that same day, we will reimburse even that night over Paypal.

For years we have been helping our guests to do a late self check in. Our system works well but we understand it can be shocking for guests coming from less safe areas. Here in Greece we usually do not even lock our cars or houses so we find it quite normal to leave a key at a designated spot that we agree on with our guests.

We understand that certain stressful situations make us see the reality differently than it really is. Still we would appreciate if you reconsider your review as we do not believe that such a low rating reflects the reality of our business.

Best regards