“couldn't wait to leave”

Caveland
Denmark, Australia
“couldn't wait to leave”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The location of this hostel was terrible - it felt like it was in the middle of nowhere. The staff were friendly enough, but would close up the reception at funny times so there would be no access to the kitchen. I stayed in a dormitory with 3 other girls. 3 out of 4 of us were desperate to find new accommodation and we all left within a day or two, but the owners made us stay another 48 hours before giving refunds. I left anyhow, despite paying for an extra night. The bathroom was disgusting, I didn't even want to shower in there. At least I met the girls there who I ended up hanging out with for the rest of the trip, despite all finding better accommodation. None of us could work out how the place got such good reviews on the internet. This place is a rip off for what you can get elsewhere for the same price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
kariotka, Owner at Caveland, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hello!

Thanks for the review! We indeed remember you very well and we are happy to respond.

Your original reservation was made for a week. Upon your arrival you decided to shorten your stay. There are no properties where you can shorten your stay without any additional charges, that is the reason we explained that we have to charge you for 48 hours, you were though free to leave anytime.

You expressed that you dislike your room, so we offered to move you to a different one. You accepted this offer only a day later and you said you really liked the new room. Since you said you never stayed in a shared accomodation before, we made sure we did not allocate anybody else into your room, so you could enjoy your privacy, despite paying for a bed in a dorm.

The bathrooms in our property are cleaned once a day, you were 4 people sharing a bathroom and the way it looks like is a result of how the current occupants treat the room and the bathroom after the cleaning is done.

The reception hours during off-season autumn months are 10am- 1pm and 4.30 pm- 8pm. Reception is open from 9am when the breakfast starts until 8pm. Free use of a communal kitchen is just an additional service to our guests, the kitchen can be used anytime between 9am until 8pm, we believe these are standard hours for the season and all the guests appreciate it- taking the fact there are only 10-15 people/night off-season.

The hostel is located 10 minutes walk from a bus stop that connects us with all the destinations of the island, you barelly can find any other village apart from Karterados that gets all the buses going from Fira town directly to the South. Since we are not located on the beach, we have a big pool and guests can again use it free of charge. The property is 15 000 sqm large, so the location that is hidden is popular and enjoyed by the guests who are ready to explore the island.

The reviews have been excellent, since we receive them from well-travelled guests who understand the services and standards of the hostels around the World and understand that this place for what we charge is above average. We ourselves stay every winter in dozens of accommodaitons during our travels and what we learn on the go we try to apply in Caveland (you can go ahead and check my tripadvisor reviews that I leave here as a traveller BUT only for properties I like ).

Still, thanks a lot for your feedback. And a small advice- bit of smile and interest in the stories of others or of a place makes sometimes wonders :)

Veronika + Kostas ...and our dogs Klara, Nata, Mini and a lazy cat Vincent!

PS: We washed after you your plate and a cup you left in our communal kitchen on the breakfast table, since you seemed to leave in rush.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The olacewas wonderfoul. The room was huge (I slept in the comunal room) with two private bathrooms. The wifi worked all around the hotel, it is situated at a 20 minutes walk from Fira (principal city) and a 5 minute walk from the bus stop. Allmost all buses passes that way. The pool and comon areas were in perefect state and never was something missing at breakfast

They also had lockers for every bed in the room

I enjoyed too much my stay here

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed in Caveland, Santorini for two nights in August 2012, and we had an incredible time. The hostel is run by an amazing guy who was so friendly and helpful. The hostel itself is beautiful, with a pool and pool bar, hammocks and a breakfast table. We stayed in the 6 person dorm, which was very large, and the bathroom and shower worked well. We were totally surprised by how beautiful, clean, inexpensive and all around awesome the place was. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The location of the hostel is pretty good, it's a short 15 minute walk into Fira town, and you can take busses from the top of the street that it's on to anywhere else on the island!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jock in Brum
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for just one night and we were both blown away by this amazing hostel. We booked their private cave, which in reality is a self contained apartment.

The hosts, Kostas and Veronika, are the soul of hospitality, nothing is too much trouble for them and they have created a marvelous little community where back packers and older travelers like us are made to feel like family.

The caves are light and cool, with aircon provided despite the low prices. The help yourself breakfast is open till 12 and the fruit (figs, pears, pomegranates) is grown on their own trees. We missed booking for Kostas evening barbequeue, but he sent us up the hill into the village to eat in a tiny local taverna - cheap as chips and as "authentic" as it comes.

I can recommend this place to all those who are young at heart and want to experience something quite unique and utterly perfect.

Room Tip: Older travelers might consider the private caves.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was looking forward to the famous Santorini sunsets and Greek food. Neither disappointed.

However, Caveland in Karterados was the best part of Santorini. For a hostel, it offered private rooms, huge dorm rooms, swimming pool and group activities at a budget traveler's price. The place was clean & safe and the other guests were fun and respectful. The week that we visited, we took yoga lessons, attended the BBQ party, enjoyed the pool and an invigorating massage, sampled fresh fruit growing everywhere on Caveland and learned about Akrotiri, an important excavation site from the Bronze Age.

Kostas, Veronika and Ben were wonderful hosts and shared a lot of their personal favorites of Santorini. They helped make Caveland feel more like a community instead of just a place to sleep. The hostel is about 20 minutes from Fira but well worth the trip to stay in spacious, peaceful and unique caves.

Room Tip: Room 8 is great for couples. All the dorms that I saw were spacious. Some even had unique hand-mad...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RTJS
Sydney
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Definitely adding this hostel to my list of favourites. It is an amazing place to stay. It has such a great vibe. The gardens are beautiful. I loved the space in the room. To get a lounge area and a kitchenette for this price is fantastic. Its so clean as well. Got a small towel and the linens included in the price. Great wifi. Sure the location is a bit out of the way but in Santorini nothing is walking distance. Be good to get a car or quad bikes rather than rely on the bus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed in Caveland early spring this year, and all I can say is that it's the best hostel I've ever stayed in. I've been in quite a few, as I'm a solo budget travel who's been all over Asia and Europe.

I loved the price (well within my low budget), location (Santorini!, with overlooking views of the Karterados village), the history of the place (it used to be a winery), the rooms (which are stone caves, and only had a few beds), and the owners Giannis and Kostas. These two are hands-on owners and did everything, from manning the reception counter, fixing whatever's broken, to cleaning the rooms. They were very accommodating and gave a lot of suggestions on where to go. Giannis also took me to the airport.

As it was spring when I was there, there was no BBQ or the pool, so I hope that I can go back on a summer, as Caveland would be an excellent place to rest in while enjoying Santorini.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1 (I think), nearest the reception area. Choose that.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Aleah T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karteradhos
Villa Manos
#8 of 15 in Karteradhos
Anny Studios
Anny Studios
#30 of 40 in Perissa

Been to Caveland? Share your experiences!