“Far from everything, no AC”
Review of Pension Livadaros

Pension Livadaros
Ranked #3 of 15 Karteradhos B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The boat to Santorini arrives at 2am, so if you don't already have a hotel booked, you will find yourself surrounded by hotel representatives harrassing you to come stay in their hotel.
I was accosted by one such lady from Pension Livadaros hotel, she was extremely pushy, grabbing my arm to pull me away from the other reps, and even though I insisted that I needed a hotel in Oia (30 minutes north of the port) she basically wouldn't leave me alone until I consented to staying at her hotel for the night, although I was grateful at her openess to bargain, and obviously happy to have a place to stay at such an hour in the morning.
The actual hotel is located about 15 minutes drive from Fira (the capital) but if you don't have a bike or quad or car, the walk is definately not recommended. The hotel is on a road with not much else on it, so it's ideal if you don't plan on going anywhere.
I stayed the first night in a really cute little room with a balcony and private bathroom, but it was stinking hot and there was no remote control for the airconditioning.
Since the room was nice and I had a connection in Oia the day after I decided to stay for a second night, the owner got me to change rooms and the second room was quite awful. It was dingey and humid with not a single window but one door leading to a stairway that led to the roof. There were really creepy porcelin dolls hanging on the wall which would have given me nightmares although I didn't sleep because it was so hot and again the air conditioning didn't work. At about 1am I eventually had to find the owner to put the aircon on, they keep all the remotes with them so unless you get out of bed in the early hours of the morning to go ask, expect a restless, stinking hot night.

The one good thing about the hotel is the swimming pool, it's really lovely and nicely furnished with sunbeds and a really nice couch with a canapé if you want shade.

Breakfast isn't included and there was no wifi, I think that if you are lucky enough to get one of the nice rooms with a balcony and have some mode of transport, the hotel would be good, but I personally will not be going back there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lillian-Melbourne

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We arrived at the airport at three o'clock in the morning. All through our relatively short stay with the Livadaros family, they walked - and drove - that extra mile for us, day or night. Nice enough rooms, friendly prices, exeptional service. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Staying at the Livadaros has been one of my top places to stay since travelling. The family that run the business are so lovely, they helped us getting to places, picking us up and directing us in the right direction to start our trip in Thira! Great pool to relax in, good breakfast to start your day and just close enough to Thira, you can walk. This place is affordable and ideal!
From Jacqui and lou in Aus :)
We will see you next year!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel was amazing such a cute little place with a great pool and great staff. Well worth the cost to stay there. My ttravel friend and i enjoyed free rides to and from the port, air conditioning, a fridge, clean sheets and towels everyday, breakfast brought to the room, belcony etc. the location was great for me because I like being outside of the main cities but still close enough to walk to them. We walked to Fira in about 15 min. And we rented an awesome quad for a few days for only 20€ a day to see Oia and the rest of the island which was well worth it. The hotels central location on the island meant we could drive back to the hotel in a very short period of time to grab cold drinks or shower or cool off in the pool before heading out to explore the island somemofe. Fira at night is awesome. This hotel is small and set up in a house like setting which is unique. The owners live in a house nearby and are always around to help and answer questions. Even drove us to the port at midnight for our 1 am ferry which we really appreciated. Overall a great experience and place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. It was probably a bad idea to visit in the winter but I figured why not! I ended up being the only guest there. The owners were so kind. But the room felt off. There was a fainting, lingering scent of mildew. The Internet only worked in a certain corner of the room. The view however, was outstanding. My room had its own balcony. The owners provide transport to and from the airport.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Good solution for those that do not care about luxury. The rooms are simple but with the basic amenities (A/C, fridge, TV). Useful free parking area. You need a car or a bike because the pension is situated far from the popular beaches and Fira town. The swimming pool is disproportionately good. I don't know if there is breakfast (in fact I didn't even asked) but there is a common refrigerator in the kitchen which is locked(!) after the breakfast time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Pros:
-we were picked up from the port even at 1am
-nice pool area, lots of lounge chairs
-affordable tavernas nearby
-5 minute walk to a bus stop to get to the beaches and oia, about 20 minute walk to thira
-had a minifridge, kitchen sink and some plates and utensils, we were able to prepare our own breakfasts

Cons:
-sheets were stained, and threadbare
-the first room smelt like a moldy basement, ceilings only 6' (watch out, tall people)
-shower didnt drain properly, old shower curtains covered in mold, no towel to use as bathmat
-we were asked to switch rooms, the second room was dusty, dog hair everywhere, creepy dolls and stuffed animals on the wall, we were given a twin bed and an uncomfortable cot
-second room had a shared bathroom, which was better than the individual bathroom, but still had a serious mold/mildew problem in the shower
-no obvious reception area, sometimes difficult to find the owners

overall, we were lucky to have the pool and went swimming to avoid showering as much as possible, wouldn't recommend!

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the first level, maybe it won't smell like a moldy basement....