“Fantastic food really friendly staff”

Jannis Golden Heart
Ranked #3 of 78 Restaurants in Stalis
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The wife and I ate here the night before last, I had the "big brother" which was a ostrich fillet and chicken fillet in a gorgeous curry-like sauce, the wife had the suckling pig. We both loved the food, I would recommend the two dishes we tried to anyone! The owner was really lovely and the tables all had lots of pictures of the owner through the years under the glass which was a really nice touch. They also gave us some great nibbles for a starter, bread and dips which were really tasty, I think we will go there again. Top notch

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Lured in by the hypnotic Svengali-like photo of the great man himself hanging outside the restaurant (if you've been / walk past, you'll know what I mean!!): we asked to book a table for the evening, as it was our last night & we wanted to ensure a nice table / view. Jannis was very welcoming & friendly - & agreed to save a table...when we arrived in the evening, he had kept his word - & our chosen table had been 'reserved' for us... & we were welcomed in like special guests.

I had been hoping to sample the suckling pig here, but it was not on the night we went: so if you want one of the specials, check the board outside to confirm when they are on...

The wine was delicious & good value (local white wine, by the jug...so good, we had a 2nd). The table benefited from being far away from any horrible cigarette smokers, which meant we could dine in a rare unpolluted atmosphere - which will always earn a tick from us...

The food wasn't all quite 100% sadly...we shared 2 starters - feta in the oven, which was delicious (but hard to get wrong really) - & garlic mushrooms, which appeared to be served in some sort of Bisto gravy (not great)!!!

The menu was huge - too many items on there to be honest, which made choosing something difficult. The main meals: my partner had veal stifado, which he declared to be 'very good'...& I ordered the pork escalope in Golden Heart special sauce. My pork was breaded - which I hadn't expected...& I can't rave about it - although there was nothing wrong with it at all...the veg however, was very overcooked & soft.

All in all, we enjoyed our visit here - & I would definitely go back, if ever I found myself in Stalis again...if only to try the delicious sounding roasted suckling pig.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Ate here twice in a 1 week holiday .Would say our favorite out of all we sampled.The bread with tapanade was grea as a starter anything larger and you couldn't eat the mains.tWe had the kleftiko and the spit roasted pig both divine and massive portions.The house wine was the best(medium rose)we have sampled throughout greece.The service was always excellent and the free sweet and after dinner drink a bonus.Including the liter of wine,bread and dips,2 massive mains around 35e

1  Thank trishaWigan_lancs
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Great food and great prices I went here 4 times and every time it was of the highest quality there specials were amazing Cretan lamb cooked on vine branches was 10/10 the best lamb I ever ate and the suckling pig was just as good

Reviewed June 28, 2013

take no notice of any bad reviews. jannis golden heart is the best place in stalis,, we go many times and love the great hospitality we receive from jannis & eugena, a lovely atmosphere & good food,. jannis & eugena work very hard to keep this restaurant the best.truly wonderful couple. will be back in September. & once again go see for yourself..what we mean