We stayed here as a family with a 5-year old and 4-year old, and had a great 4 days. It's a large package-focused resort hotel, but we booked independently, and felt they had a good balance between taking care of us as individuals, and taking care of their real money-earner, the hordes of package tourists. The hotel is very clean, and the on-site beach is very convenient! They offer many freebies, such as free pedal boats, and sports activities. The restaurant was really good, and we looked forward to our breakfast and dinner every day! It has an excellent location, well outside of the not-very-nice city of Heraklion, but close enough to easily go in for a day to check out the (few) cultural and historicaly sites there. It's a great base from which to explore Knossos, and other central Crete areas. Also, the excellent Cretaquarium is just 5km away, an easy drive. We'd gladly return here.
Here are the most positive aspects in my opinion: 2 great pools, including one that seemed to be heated! A kiddie pool, though ours were too big to use it. The beach is literally outside your hotel room! GREAT on-site restaurant buffet. Laid-back and homey, while at the same time maintaining a clean, professional image.
The negatives: if you can't stay hordes of package tourists meandering around, you shouldn't book here. As I noted earlier, the hotel did a nice job of taking care of us, too, but the vibe of massive packaged tourism was very much present. Also, the hotel is right on the incoming flight pattern of the busy Heraklion airport. Flights arrive approximately every 5-10 minutes for most of the day, starting in the morning, until around 11 pm or so. It didn't bother us, it's kind of cool seeing the planes come in, but it can be noisy at times.
A final comment: make sure they give you the room you booked. We'd booked a beach front family bungalow, but they "upgraded" us into admittedly a much nicer room (one of the more modern ones) -- but with a concrete wall for our view on the balcony!! The very friendly receptionist's smile faded somewhat when I returned and asked for the room we had originally booked (I don't book beach hotels for views of concrete walls), but did accomodate us. I don't know why this happened, I think they tried to move us to accomodate a big group of package tourists, but it caused some unneeded stress and "conflict" at the beginning of our stay. We ended up having a great time, though, in the room category we originally booked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Knossos Beach Bungalows & Suites is a family owned resort, on the north coast of the picturesque island of Crete, Greece, built directly on a sandy beach with shallow waters, offering guests panoramic views of the blue Aegean Sea, with 39 Suites & Villas, 62 Bungalows Sea View, Water Front and Superior Water Front, and 34 Standard & Family Rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Bookgreece.com, Hotwire, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Knossos Beach Bungalows & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Knossos Beach Bungalows Hotel Kokkini Hani
- Knossos Beach Bungalows And Suites
- Knossos Beach Hotel
- Hotel Knossos Beach
- Knossos Beach Bungalows & Suites Crete/Kokkini Hani