“'Perfection'” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Kokkini Hani
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
“'Perfection'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

Couldn't recommend this hotal highly enough. Myself and my family stayed here for a week towards the end of September and we had superior sea view rooms, which were just fantastic. A fruit basket and bottle of wine on arrival, along with a robe and slippers for each guest. The view from my room was beautiful, you could see the pool and the beach, along with the beautiful gardens. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and the hotel grounds were kept immaculate at all times. With a total of 5 pools to choose from, including a kid's pool with waterslides, my 12 year old son couldn't have been happier. The beach was beautiful and well maintained with lots of affordable watersports available and a beach bar, and there were always sunbeds free. The staff at the hotel were lovely, especially George, who runs George's bar next to the pool, and Nikko from the Greek restaurant. The animation team provided great daily entertainment and had us in stitches during the night time events that they held, such as karaoke and 'Mr Rinela 2011'!!
There is a great choice of food in the main restaurant, along with snacks available all day, and if you fancy a change you can book into the Greek or Chinese restaurants at no extra cost.
I treated myself to a full body massage with hot stones in the hotel spa, and being a therapist myself I have to say the treament was exceptional. So relaxing and professional, at a competitive price.
I'm not one for re-visiting the same home hotel, but I will definitely be back to the Mitsis Rinela!

Room Tip: I would certainly recommend requesting a superior sea view room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jodi H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

I have just returned from the Rinela and had a great time.The rooms were spotless, I had a standard room booked, and requested a seaview and renovated room and thats exactly what I got. I was very happy with the room.

The hotel is not a 5 star maybe a 3 or 4 star, but we still enjoyed our holiday.

As everyone has mentioned George at the pool bar was lovely and a waiter in the restaurant that was waiting at the back of the restaurant by the doors to outside, that was a little older than the rest and he was always smiling , which was nice as I must agree most of the staff were quite glum!

The food was fantastic in the Chinese Restaurant, the Taverna was not so good as was the same as the restaurant in the hotel which was lovely food but I would have expected the Taverna to be a bit special. Also no one seemed to care about us and we only had 1 beer as could not get anyones attention! so thumbs down to the Taverna!

I would go back as we had such a nice time and the hotel was lovely and also there was a bus stop outside ideal for travelling around the Island.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

We had a wonderful holiday, staff were all lovely, animation team especially Zulu were fab and so chatty. Rooms were cleaned everyday and the cleaners were so helpful too (especially when we lost out key) Food to suit everyone and whatever time we went there was always plenty! We went as a couple this year without the children & this is very much a family resort so much for the kids of all ages. My only gripe was queuing to get into the resturant but as we went in peak season this has to be expected. We had a lovely day in the spa & the service was fantastic. Try a boat trip with George he is so funny "ticky ticky" he picks you up in his quaint battered VW and we had the best day. All in all we miss it lots & would say we are going back but always like to try somewhere new!

Room Tip: Go for sea view in superiour room as you get ur mini bar filled everyother day :) & buy ur pool...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank Bodycore Pilate... H
Ayrshire, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

the drink was shocking everything elese was ok boat trips good and friendly people

Room Tip: take your own drink
Chester, U.K.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed there in June 2010, our all-round best family holiday for a few years. Enjoyed it so much we all wanted to go back this year. Booked 10 days there in July this year and we were very supprised to find things were even better. It was good last year but significantly jacked up this year. We will definately re-book for 2012. Hugely warm and genuine welcome from Maria in Reception on arrival. All the staff are very friendly, helpful and efficient. Special mention must be made of George in the mini pool bar, Taverna Manager, "Mr. Nikos" and Vasillis, Head Chef of the Taverna. They were great with us and fabulous with the grandkids.
One of the main reasons the whole resort operates so successfully, I feel, is the drive and energy of the Gen. Manager, Mr Liaros. He is constantly on patrol, checking up, greeting guests, identifying and fixing each and every little issue. He has got it right, he makes it all work really well.
It's right on the beach. Rooms, beds and pools are all very clean. Animation teams work really hard and seem to enjoy doing it. Enormous selection of food, very well prepared. You will be spoilt for choice. If you want boring details of how many sunbeds, how many stars, how quickly you get served etcetra, then read somebody else's review, we are going again .

Room Tip: Do not accept, at face value, the classification of the rooms you book through travel agents, such...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TobyJugg
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

I originally stayed at the Rinela 10 years ago with my (then) husband and 2 children (aged 8 & 11) We had such a fantastic holiday I knew I would one day visit again....

My son (18 yrs) and I went for a week in mid September this year and we wasn't disappointed as it lived up to my earlier experience.

Firstly the plusses:
All of the hotel and surrounding area's were clean and inviting. We had a standard room in one of the bungalows which was basic but met all our needs. The air con could only be put on whilst you were in the room with your key magnet attached to the wall so although it wasn't possible to set it to come on before you go back to your room, within 10 mins or so the room had cooled down and was comfortable. There was always plenty of hot water and the shower had strong power jet. The beds were ok, they did seem a little hard but were not lumpy or uncomfortable. The maid did a good job keeping the rooms clean, tidy and supplied fresh linen and towels regularly.
The restaurants were clean, there was always plenty of options but it was repetitive. We found the best way to have our meals was the main restaurant for breakfast, the taverna at lunch and the chinese of an evening - just for the variety. We had no problems booking the taverna/Chinese the morning before, when we came out of breakfast. The pancakes were delightful and the stonebaked pizza (taverna) was probably our favourite.
We only went to the main pool or the beach. Had no problems securing sunbeds at 9am and there were still ample available before 11am each day. The main pool was really only suitable for adults or children who are strong swimmers as there was no real shallow end and it quickly became deep reaching 3 meters.
The animation team were enthusiastic and although they did try to get you to join in, were not too intrusive. If you joined in once they did tend to badger you a little more (so my son found out).
The staff were all pleasant although some reception staff could of been better/more helpful. Everyone greeted you and smiled and made you feel welcome.
Although expensive (compared to the external shops) the on site shop was convenient and the staff more than helpful if you needed help or to answer questions. We didn't visit the jewellers, spa or hairdressers because we didn't want to so can't comment on their hospitality or services.
There was a games room downstairs which also housed several internet PC's (for a charge 50c for 7 mins/1 € for 14 mins etc). They were quick and all appeared to work.
The beach bar was quite basic, serving soft drinks, beer and ice cream but it was great to have this all inclusively literally on your doorstep at the beach. The beach was cleaned daily, was sandy and the sea clear and mostly seaweed free!
The local amenities were sparse, but there was a few shops selling gifts, groceries and genuine fake clothing/bags/shoes/watches etc.

Now for the minuses:
The hairdryers in the bathrooms were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The satellite TV's only had BBC worldnews/CNN as English channels - the rest were all foreign so not a lot of choice.
We arrived at 5am and although greeted warmly at reception had to lug our suitcases down to our bungalow with only a basic idea of where to find our room among the mass of hundreds of others. Not clever when it was quite dark, no-one else around and having been travelling all night! We were also not offered the freshen up towel on arrival which would of been most welcome as would refreshments of some kind.
There was no free wifi available as we'd been led to believe, you could pay for wifi (expensive) or use the hotel pc's at a charge.
We asked if we could have a late check out room on our day of departure (45€) as we were not being picked up until 3am for the airport. Advised to check the morning of departure as they thought they would be fully booked. This was confirmed and we were offered use of the courtesy room (a shower room within the hotels public toilet area). It did seem strange that they were fully booked as the pool area was only every 70% full and the restaurants never packed). Still, they would be losing 45€ so I assume this was true. Another English couple had the same experience the same day. The courtesy room was ok, the shower being clean and powerful, but as this area was not air conditioned, you were very hot by the time you had dried off - this would not be an issue for those with day time flights of course.
It was a little off putting having to wait to order drinks in the evening by staff - you wasn't able to just go an order a drink and had to find an available table before someone came round to take your order - not an issue for us as we had dinner fairly early and always found a table in the outside bar area although later diners had to stand around waiting for a table to become free.

To summarise, a great holiday - the Rinela is clean, accommodating with friendly staff who work hard to keep you happy and whose aim is for you to enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Book out of high season to avoid packed beach/pool and restaurants
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TimeF1ys
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

We have just come back from 10 nights at the Rinella Beach and know that if you read more into some of the reviews on here you will drive yourself mad. Everyone is different and everyone will have their own standards - and yes I believe this does differ when you go on holiday for some people (especially when you read what they complain about!!).

As another reviewer has said I will try to be subjective in what I write.

Hotel - It appears this hotel is being portrayed as a 5 star hotel whereby it only has 4 stars displayed on the front of the hotel. My partner has since coming home found old pictures posted of the front of the hotel showing 5* but it has obviously been downgraded to 4* now as the photos we have taken show 4 stars. Please bear this in mind if you are booking. To be honest 4*/5* it does not really matter in Greece!! And compared to the Blue Domes in Kos which we stayed at last year, this hotel does not compare so I would say thats why its lost one of its stars.

Accommodation - As far as I can work out the only difference between a standard and VIP room is the fact you get your mini fridge re-filled with (in our case) 2 x beers, 2 x pepsi, 2 x fizzy lemon, 2 x fizzy orange, 2 x bottles water, 2 x 7 up every 2 days - we heard from someone else that they had 2 x re-corked bottles of wine instead of the beers in their fridge. You can also order continental breakfast to your room if you wanted in the mornings (no charge) and you could order drinks from 1000-2300 (again no charge). The only one of these we used was the drinks to our room, we did this on a few nights and they took about 10 mins to arrive. We were not told by anyone on reception of any other differences and I had contacted the hotel directly before booking. All the rooms are decorated the same, you could see that by walking past various rooms in the different blocks around the complex.
I will add we both came back with bad backs due to the hardness of the beds, but thats just one of those things, you won't please everyone - just for us compared to the Blue Domes, their matresses were more comfy for us, but thats just our preference!!

I had asked for a room with a balcony (we did not pay extra for a sea view) and had been advised that we had booked a room with either balcony/terrace and it would be a garden view. On arriving early morning 1am due to flight delays we were told we had a terrace room and were shown where it was on the map, I mentioned I had asked for a balcony and straight away we were given another room (although told that it may not have the fridge drinks as it was going to be used as a non vip room next, but as we were VIP it would get filled the next day - which it duly was, so no problems there). We had room 571 which was on the 2nd floor, we could see the sea from the side, it overlooked one of the sharing pools and you could see some life going on when you sat on the balcony, it also had the sun in the afternoons/evenings - just what we like!! - so no complaints there.

Staff - All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful. They work very hard and seem to be told from one day to the next which bar or restaurant they will be working at. George is fab at the small pool bar, Theo was very organised at the Beach bar (making people queue in one direction only and making sure you stood in front of him before he served you - us Brits know how to queue maybe some other nationalities weren't that impressed, but they soon learned!!) and Vasilos (Basil) from the main bar and Rinela Cafe Bar was great at knowing your drinks after just one visit and taking some great photos of you.

Cleanliness - the cleaners are very hard working and our room was always spotless when we returned from the beach. In the mornings the cleaners washed down all the stone stairs and paths around the resort to get rid of any dirt/bird muck so everywhere was clean every day.

Location - for us the location was great, right on a small beach (yes I can imagine in July/August there is a problem with sunbeds round beach and pools, but you get that everywhere). Yes we can say this as we had to go on holiday in July twice over the last few years due to one reason or another and both times we have stayed at Mitsis hotels although in Rhodes and both times beds are at a premium although we didn't really have any problems as such. We were at the beach at 9am most days and I would say you can easily get a bed or two up to 11am, and after 1pm most people for some reason went for lunch and didn't leave their towels!! This was the same round the pools as well - we can say this as we did sit round both main and little pool at some point during our stay but we preferred the beach.

The hotel is on a main road, there are a few little shops/supermarkets very near by and even a few tavernas if you want to pay to eat out. There isn't much granted, but then if you want Malia - don't book Kokkini Hani!!

Food - how everyone differs, but ofcourse they do what do you expect. We loved the chinese restaurant, you don't get a lot of choice but it was fine for us (we don't go overboard and eat everything in sight just because we are on holiday!). They don't have many tables and you do have to book at 8am at reception - again I can see in the high season this could cause problems but we had none. The Greek Taverna is also bookable at reception although they changed after a few days and you could actually just write yourself on the list for what time you wanted and how many people. Beware the food thou is exactly the same as in the main restaurant and still served buffet style. Only differences are they cook extra pizzas (and they were nice) and they had different pastas and sauces and chicken - which I didn't see them do in the main restaurant. Although saying that we only ate 4 times in the main restaurant, as neither my parter or I are huge fans of these buffet style restaurants with everyone queueing up and either him or I sitting down with our food only to find that the other is still waiting to get their starters. It may suit some people, it doesn't suit us, but then we don't really go on holiday to have nice food, we go to relax and the hot weather.

Other Travellers: When we went there weren't many Brits which was surprising as the kids had gone back to school. There were a lot of Russians and Eastern Europeans but we didn't really have too many problems. Its quite easy to spot them as most appear to be rude and def. do not like queueing for anything, which is quite funny to see especially in the breakfast or dinner queue. Luckily the staff are now more adept at dealing with this problem and they are asked to wait in line like everyone else. We only had one or two instances whereby an older couple queue jumped for dinner on our last night and one or two tried to get their beers at 10.30am from the beach bar infront of us just trying to get a glass of water:-)

For us all in all an enjoyable 10 days, would like to try another area of Crete now. The hotel did what we needed it to do, it did nothing more but nothing less really either.

Things to see: There is a land train which stops right outside the hotel euro 9 and takes about an hour round trip to some of the other beaches and to Gouves and back again. We did the 1845 tour which was just right, cool and saw everything just as the sun was setting and came back when it was dark. Would imagine the 1730 train would be nice too, although still hot. You can reserve a slot for euro 1 at the hotel desk and then just pay euro 8 to the driver just to make sure you get a seat (probably more for peak times).

We did a boat trip to Spinalonga (last active leper colony in Europe), which we booked through our rep - that was really our only complaint. It was described as a boat trip to Spinalonga followed by a stop off at a bay for swimming then BBQ and then coach to Agios Nikolaos and then back to hotel. The boat trip was all of 40 mins total!! and can't say the boat was that great. Spinalonga was interesting, and our guide Rita was great, although for us she did go on a bit, so we walked off and met everyone back at the boat, it wasn't a problem. The bay was a horrible rocky spot with not much sand and no facilities, the BBQ was adequate (a pork chop, salad, bread and plum with orange or wine). The best part for us was the visit to Agios Nikolaos - we'd love to have stayed longer than the 1.5 hours, and although we only went to the port area, I've heard its a lovely place to visit.
There are lots of other trips to take but everything is quite pricey and again if money was no object I'm sure we'd have seen more of the island.

Room Tip: Room 571 overlooks more front/side of hotel and has side sea views overlooking sharing pool, but if...
14 Thank EssexCupcake
Gouves Park Holiday Resort
Minoa Palace Resort & Spa
Minoa Palace Resort & Spa
#1 of 69 in Platanias

Been to Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!