Our first trip together to Normandie. Hotel Mercure Omaha Beach, found via Thomas Cook website. Reviews showed quite promising. Arrived on 3th of September, very friendly welcoming. Found our way to the "Chambre Piviligès". Be advised, these rooms are part of a different building without elevator. Room quite modern, well finished furniture (except for the toilet which needs a renovation). Minibar with free non alcoholic drinks, original Nespresso coffee (3 tasts) refilled on a daily basis. Small balcony which clearly needed renovation (painted, but rotten wood, floor ordinary concrete). We booked half board. Restaurant was not fabulous, meaning, restaurant was quite clean, but the food was not particularly fantastic. In no way we are fast food eaters, nor "haute cuisine - fetishists", but the food that was presented us some of the evenings was very, very average, reminding us of the food served in the French film "L'aile ou la cuisse" with Louis de Funès and Coluche. The kind of food made by an industrial for the 'large cuisine'. There were evenings, the food was really great, oisters and shrimps were generaly good, ate a superb entrecote (steak), but other evenings the plates were really tasteless.
Now, for the service in the restaurant, hmmm, it was equivalent to the food served, quite mediocre. There was one blonded short haired women who was very arrogant, a person with a real attitude. Not friendly at all, probably because we did not order every evening a €35 bottle of wine....?? Cannot identify the person, in decent hotels/restaurants the personnel wears name-tags..., You were never sure when to sign off for the drinks or when to expect the standard carafe of water. Same for the dessert. Only after 3 diners, we learned from a kind older waiter that, apart from a self-service cooler with ready-made desserts, we could also choose a few alternatives.... chaos??
Breakfast (luckily far away from the restaurant) was very ok. Very good service. Very good location for visiting the WWII - landing scene.
Conclusion: yes for the hotel, no for the hotel-restaurant.
(Pictures will follow)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Mercure Omaha Beach Your wellbeing is our priority. The building is located at the foot of the Omaha Beach Golf course in order to preserve the natural beauty of this exceptional site with stunning views. There is no need to be golfer to appreciate the calm surroundings, with the sea waiting to be discovered close-by. You won't be able to resist the charm of the touristic town Port-En-Bessin, which is a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Also close-by are Bayeux and the American war cemetery. If you are in search of tranquility, you will be able to find it in our relaxation areas, such as the sauna and steam room. There is a lounge bar where you will be able to enjoy a game of pool or a session in the gym ... In fine weather, you can enjoy the heated outdoor pool, and let the children play in the paddling pool. The adepts of relaxation will be seduced by the many wellbeing spa treatments. A business area is available and free Wi-Fi covers the whole building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Hotel Omaha Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Accor Bayeux Omaha Beach
- Bayeux Omaha Beach Mercure
- Mercure Hotel Omaha Beach France/Normandy