Spent two nights at this hotel as a centre to explore the Normandy beaches. It is situated just outside the lovely fishing port of Port-en- Bessin (which reminded us of Padstow) and ideally located for visiting the various D-Day sights.
Check in was nice and straight forward and once the receptionist realised my school boy French was coming undone she quickly took to speaking fluent English and explained the facilities at the hotel.
We booked a "privilege room" which was located in the block next to the golf club house. These rooms are billed as being a cut above the standard rooms but are not without their issues. Being part of the Accor group of hotels we struggled to figure out the differences between the 2 star Novotel we stayed in the night before and this 4 start Mecure. The only difference we found was the memory foam mattress, iPod dock, nespresso coffee machine and complimentary dressing gowns. Other than those the rooms are virtually identical to the budget hotel brand.
Within five minutes of checking in I found myself back down at reception as the coffee machine in the room was dirty and broken. A replacement one was sourced from behind the desk and taken to our room. But there were no instructions in the room on how to use it so I had to Google the make/model for some. Which brings us onto the complimentary Wi-Fi. It's provided by Orange France and you have to sign up to get an access code. This code gives you six hours unlimited use. Unless you turn off your device. Then you have to sign up again. And again, And again.... It also blocks Facetime, Skype and anything Peer to Peer.
There were a few gripes with this hotel. The first one being that dogs are allowed anywhere in the hotel. We discovered this during dinner on the first evening when a few fellow guests brought their animals to the restaurant and were lead through the middle of the dining area by the maitre’d. I'm not a dog person myself and found this quite off putting as one dog followed its master around whenever he left the table brushing past us on numerous occasions. I did mention this to the maitre’d who really wasn't interested at all. So we forfeited desert and left early.
Gripe number two. Being a 4 star hotel I did not expect the tea/coffee facilities in the room to consist of two single use paper cups (despite three of us staying in the room) and to be so poorly stocked. I got so fed up of going back and forth to reception to ask for more cups (they would only give two at a time), more tea bags (two at a time) more milk (only two at a time) and sugar (again.... two at a time) that I ended up going out and buying my own mugs, a pint of milk, box of tea bags and bag of sugar!
Gripe three. There is a mini bar in the rooms with complimentary soft drinks (can of coke, fizzy water, still water and an orange juice). Once those have been consumed you have to wait till the following day or pay to have it restocked! Needless to say we filled the fridge with our own drinks. However, the following day these were all removed by the chamber maid and placed on the shelf so she could restock the "complimentary" drinks.
Gripe four. The bathroom. I have stayed in many different hotels around the world and find that it is the simplest of things which can make a stay. I may be being a little picky and harsh here but for a 4 star hotel I would at least expect the bathroom mirror to be heated so that when I step out of the shower I can have a shave without having to wait for the mirror to demist or wipe it over with a towel only for it to mist back up after a few minutes. Did I also mention the scorch marks on the wall behind the door? I've posted a photo of this.
Gripe five. The restaurant, despite allowing dogs, was on the lower side of average and highly overpriced. Very limited choice on the menu and your food comes out as and when it is cooked not when all the food for the table is ready to leave the kitchen. Meaning some of your table receive warm starters at the same time as some receiving their mains after having a cold starter. My advice, go off site for dinner. There are some wonderful restaurants close by that offer higher quality food, a much wider choice, better conversation, far superior service, a more pleasant view and atmosphere for a fraction of the price.
The only thing about this hotel we really enjoyed was a massage at the spa.
I will be visiting Normandy again but I will not stay at this hotel unless they pay me. I’d rather save some money and book into the Novotel a bit further along the road as you get an identical room and identical service from a hotel in the same group and at half the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Mercure Omaha Beach Your wellbeing is our priority. The building is located at the foot of the Omaha Beach Golf course in order to preserve the natural beauty of this exceptional site with stunning views. There is no need to be golfer to appreciate the calm surroundings, with the sea waiting to be discovered close-by. You won't be able to resist the charm of the touristic town Port-En-Bessin, which is a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Also close-by are Bayeux and the American war cemetery. If you are in search of tranquility, you will be able to find it in our relaxation areas, such as the sauna and steam room. There is a lounge bar where you will be able to enjoy a game of pool or a session in the gym ... In fine weather, you can enjoy the heated outdoor pool, and let the children play in the paddling pool. The adepts of relaxation will be seduced by the many wellbeing spa treatments. A business area is available and free Wi-Fi covers the whole building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, Travelocity, ACCOR and Hotwire so you can book your Mercure Hotel Omaha Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Accor Bayeux Omaha Beach
- Bayeux Omaha Beach Mercure
- Mercure Hotel Omaha Beach France/Normandy