As on our previous two visits, La Cheneviere was our last night's stay in France before taking the ferry back to the UK from Cherbourg. After days in chambres d'hote, it is our final extravagance before returning home. The Hotel is very much country house style, with extremely comfortable and well furnished bedrooms with super bathrooms and deluxe toiletries. The staff all speak English, and prefer to do so rather than to let you practice your French. If for no other reason, the superb restaurant is worth staying here, and if you pick your way judiciously through the menu, provides reasonable value too. The "chariot de fromages" is legendary! However, I fell foul of the sommelier on this occasion who diverted me from my choice of wine. I should know better by now, but perhaps it was the combination of a long day's drive from the south west, and the euphoria of the last night of holiday, that I allowed myself to be steered away, and towards a ludicrously expensive bottle of Bandol. Not only that, but he advised that it cam from the south west of France, whereas it was actually Provencal. His attitude when this was mentioned to him was that-"It's all the Mediterranean." A bit like saying Cornwall is the same as Kent. This Hotel accommodates a lot of American visitors coming quite rightly to pay their respects at the Normandy Beaches, and maybe the sommelier thinks he can fool some of the foreign visitors some of the time.... One more minor grumble- you could die of thirst at the bar any time outside apero hour. Otherwise, spoil yourself and enjoy the experience of your stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set close to Omaha Beach and the historic town of Bayeux, Port en Bessin conceals a treasure that lies at the end of a long drive " Chateau La Cheneviere ". Impeccable lawns, ancient trees and a charmingly old fashioned rose garden... arriving on the estate is like strolling onto the lands of an English Lord who fell under the spell of Calvados region. The manor appears at last, a dignified Norman edifice from the 18th century, it combines the charms of an old house with the conveniences of a cosy English Manor. Add to that an opulent interior, spacious, elegant bedrooms. The dining room, overlooking the park, has a certain grandeur on an intimate scale, while classic cuisine allows you to explore all the distinctive flavours of Normandy, a generous and distinguished cuisine based on delicious local produce, faultless service, a heated outdoor pool, a splendid terrace, and the picture is complete... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Chateau La Cheneviere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau La Cheneviere Hotel Port-En-Bessin-Huppain
- Chateau La Cheneviere France/Normandy