“Could be a lot better. Lack of customer service let it down.”

Relais du Chateau d'Arche
Ranked #1 of 5 Sauternes B&B and Inns
London
“Could be a lot better. Lack of customer service let it down.”
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

The place is very pretty, conveniently located for exploring vineyards south of Bordeaux, or if like me you were running the Sauternes marathon. Initially booking was fine, and on the day, I was phoned and told no problem if I arrive late, they will keep keys in mailbox for me, as staff leave about 7. I phoned back just after 6 and just voicemail. But I arrived alone and retrieved keys easily, but saw there were several sets waiting, which meant potentially anyone could pick them up and gain access to the building. Room was nice, but as other reviews mention, did smell a little musty.
Next morning, I was up early and expecting breakfast at 7. From people's orders on reception desk, I saw I wasn't the only one. By about 7.15 nobody had arrived, so I left to run marathon with empty stomach but didn't know what to do with keys. I diverted off my marathon course about 9am to try and drop keys off. But again, although there were signs someone had been there, I couldn't actually see anyone to give keys to.
After a very tough marathon which took lot longer than I thought....I returned to drop keys off. I found I'd been charged for two breakfasts, so questioned this, as even though i would have loved breakfast it wasn't possible, and my booking was just for room only. Receptionist had to make two phone calls and eventually said "yes that's fine" and then proceeded to charge me for one breakfast!!. At this point I was too tired to argue, but did point out I was still being charged tax for two people. After several attempts working this out she agreed, changed the invoice, but not the amount she decided to charge my card.
As I was pissed off now, I decided there was nothing to be lost from asking if I might use a shower, as I had been charged so handsomely and running in 32 degrees heat meant I was sorely in need of one (a fact that should have been pretty obvious). There was no moment of thought to see whether it might be possible for them to facilitate this. Just a blank NO. The woman waiting behind me in reception was a bit shocked at that, and offered to let me use her room. But not wanting to impose, I just had a sweaty two hour drive seething at receptionist.
I thought it was a nice place, but lack of customer service, or outside hours, any kind of service really let it down. So overall not good value, and wouldn't stay again. I'd choose one of many chambres d'hôte in the area instead.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Renothethief

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manzanita, Oregon
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We tried out two of the rooms, a twin bedded room and a king bed room, both were lovely and the king was huge with fireplace, fine art, and living room area. The windows looked out on the vineyards, and horses, and we had the run of the house. The owning family were down to earth and friendly and helpful. Toured the winery and tasting room, we will return to this lovely chateau.

Room Tip: The King room is worth the price.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stokes30
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Chateau D'Arche is a vineyard in Sauternes which also has a rooms offering bed and breakfast. It is 5 minutes outside of the village on foot. The place is very unpretentious (given the location). We tasted the wine and bought a few bottles. It was like having a drink with friends before dinner. If you want a place to stay for a day or 2 in Sauternes then it's great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bowth
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 30, 2011

A wonderful place to stay in a delightful village. Very large room with a wonderful bath. Lovely robes. The wine tasting is a not to be missed event. I just downloaded my photos and find that the chateau was even more lovely than I remembered.

Room Tip: Be careful if you are there on a Sunday to think ahead about where you might eat. There is a helpfu...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 1, 2011

At arrival, we were given a choice of two rooms. Our room, no 9, has an amazing stone staircase inside. The bathroom is on the ground floor and the room on the first floor. The room is wondering. Newly decorated by keeping the old traditional features. The room faces the Chateau d'Arche vineyards.

We had a tour of the Chateau, which was wonderful. It has followed by a tasting of the Chateau d'Arche Sauternes, which is very good.

Highly recommend this place. Will definitely return to Chateau d'Arche…… wonderful!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Lovely chateau-hotel in the heart of Sauternes, within walking distance of the village of Sauternes itself and the great "Les Sapriens" restaurant. Friendly staff, lovely rooms (not air-conditioned, but thick walls keep it cool). Bathrooms don't all have showers but are roomy and nicely equipped. The "only" place to stop in Sauternes if you're looking for tranquility, location for vineyards and comfort. Have been using this hotel for our guests since it opened several years ago.

• Stayed April 2011
Fort Hood, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2010

It was early spring when we got to Aquitaine, having driven down from Baden-Wuerttemberg to Barcelona, and then up through the Pyrenees. We've had a longer, harsher winter this year than last, but by the time we reached Sauternes, beautiful spring weather arrived with us; the Relais du Chateau d'Arche's comfort, elegance, and splendor, only enhanced the glorious surroundings.

Our room was practically Belle Epoch, roomy and relaxing. Service was exceptional, with the desk clerk calling around to get us a dinner reservation that night. (We finally located a place called L'Abricotier, which was by itself exceptional.) Internet connection -- not easy as we traveled through Spain -- was free and trouble-free, allowing us to keep in touch with family & friends.

I just wish I'd thought our itinerary through a bit more and stayed at the hotel at least another 1-2 nights.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sauternes
Hotel Claude Darroze
Hostellerie Geraud de Graves
Domaine de Larchey
Domaine de Larchey
#1 of 1 in Saint-Medard-d'Eyrans

Been to Relais du Chateau d'Arche? Share your experiences!