“View worth climbing”

Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Omis
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The climbing was little bit tricky on some parts, but the beautiful old fortress and the view are worth it. Entrance costs 15 kuna. Definitively a place you should visit if you are near Omiš. I was told to be careful because there might be snakes on the way, but I haven't seen any of them. Great experience.

1  Thank Lena V
"grouse grind"
"walking boots"
"stiff climb"

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Great view, you almost can see Italy. Not less important it is easy to visit, you don't have to be u athlete, an hour of a easy walk. Although, from the beach, it seems like it is on a top of the world. Really worth of walking, a history caught in a moment, shame there were no guides available.

2  Thank klassko
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Worth the climb, even by the route with less shade from the south east. The return through the woods to the north-west is shaded. The view from the fortress itself is wonderful; take Kunas (15/person) to get in as I didn't get the impression they accepted Euros. It's a long way to go and not be able to get in the fort. There are fliers showing the route which we came across in a small shop at the start of our climb; probably not a bad idea to get hold of one from in the town (Tourist Information?) before setting out to avoid doing what we did and making the hard climb in the sun. The paths are shown on Google Maps though. I recall the fortress is open until 8 in the evening.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Having read the previous reviews I was confident that this would be a great hike before going to the beach one morning. My wife and I are both fit and regularly do a 10km hike, however for anyone with less than a good fitness level I would seriously suggest that you think twice before undertaking this expedition. I appreciated that it was going to be challenging but I was not prepared for what stood in store. Fortunately we had the correct footwear and water, (not to be prepared with correct shoes and water would be foolhardy) Anyway, from the bridge in the town we followed the river, passing under the tunnel and easily found the path to start our climb with a red and white sign "Fortica" . At the bottom of the path it said 45 mins to reach the fort. I had confidently wondered how quickly we would be able to do it 30-35 mins maybe? As it transpired the estimation of 45 mins is a touch on the light side if anything, admittedly we stopped on a number of occasions to take on water and catch our breath, but we are quite fit and this was at 9.30am and it still took us 50 mins to reach the top. The path is very steep and uneven in places I would definitely not consider taking children under the age of 10-12 years. It is clearly marked and so you won't get lost, just be warned that the path is slippy in places and I would definitely recommend that you aim to do this early in the morning to do it after 11am during July and August could be very tough if not impossible. When you reach the Castle there is a 15 kuna charge to get into the fort which has some fabulous views and a freshwater Well so you can re-fill your water bottle for free. There is no water or food available to purchase and no toilets either. When we arrived we felt that we didn't want to descend back the same path and so we were told by the ticket lady that we could head back down on the opposite side of the castle which proved considerably easier although it still took approx. 40 mins, nevertheless much easier and the route that I would suggest for families to go up. To find it proceed by car part way up the road "Put Borka" adjacent to number 31 on your left there is a concrete slope that leads to steps and then on upto the caste. (on you right there is a small red sign of a fort with an arrow) Follow the white circles with red rings and you wont get lost, however you still need the correct footwear and water.

7  Thank Andym64