“Sleepers Hostel Arenal\Santa Elena is awesome”

Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Sleepers Arenal
Three of us stayed there for 2 nights. I really enjoyed this hostel. For $8 per night including breakfast it is hands down the best bargain. Tatiana and Maurico were really good in assisting us in any of the questions we had. They were extremely helpful and accommodating. I enjoyed our conversations and they told me more about the people and information about Costa Rica. We got better rates on the tours then the people we met on the tours. The room was clean and the washroom was clean. Breakfast was Toast, scramble egg, cereal, fruit. Would I stayed there again. For sure!!!!

Sleepers Santa Elena
We were there for one night. Ronnie is a great guy and his family also helps out. At this location we were given a spacious room and clean linen, and towels. We ended up losing our keys but Ronnie was nice about it and we resolved the issue no problems. He arranged a couple of tours and it was cheaper through him then other places. The kitchen is good and big. Internet was fast and had 2 computers there. Ronnie is a good guy that really helped me out and answered ALL of our questions online and while we were there. If I go back there I would stay at this Hostel. He is walking distance to everything.

Room Tip: Speak to Ronnie
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed 5 nights at "Sleepers" with our two young boys and would definitely return. You can't find a better deal in Santa Elena / Monteverde, and the owners, Ronnie and family, are wonderful hosts. Our family of 4 paid 25$/night for a spotless comfy hostel room w/private bathroom, hot water, wholesome breakfast, free Internet access, kitchen use, and friends for the kids! The hostel is very close to "downtown" Santa Elena, a 5 to 10 min. walk, and has an unbeatable view. Our kids quickly made friends with his and were sad to leave. Ronnie may seem cold to some at first, but don't be fooled. It didn't take long to realize how hard he works to accommodate his guests and that he probably doesn't get big bucks for it. He will selflessly go out of his way to help you. He personally booked all our local tours and activities he could arrange for us, including pickup at the hostel, and charged us no commission. One morning, he insisted we take the free breakfast even if we hadn’t booked any tour through him that day, which was supposed to be a requirement. One night, he, his wife and 4 kids even went sleeping at his in-laws to make room for extra guests. And I can’t tell you how patient he can be with ungrateful clients.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2011

At this point in my trip i was very homesick.

I stayed here and it made me feel a bit better. It's family owned and you get a lot for what you pay. They have a fantastic kitchen...... and they make you a delicious breakfast, i loved it. Fruit fruit fruit! It's a bit of the beaten trail..... so you'll have to find it. But it is really great once you get there.... The rooms are big enough and the beds were fairly comfortable. I had some of my better sleeps here. They have a couple stacks of books for exchange, definitely found a few. And they have cable Tv you can watch. They only have one slow computer, but there is an awesome internet cafe in town with a laundromat!
Great place though, very safe and tranquillo.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2011

This family owned hostel has been the best that I have encountered in Costa Rica. For 7 dollars a night, great large breakfast, very laid back and helpful family. If you email them before hand, they will meet you when you arrive and show you to the place. They let us stay until 3 the next day and use there kitchen and shower before we left. It was no party place, but you will be so tired from the hiking that it won't matter.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I originally wanted to stay here because it was the cheapest place to get a dorm in Monteverde but after spending two nights there I realized that we probably should have paid a lot more for what we got. Not only was the dorm only $7 a night but the owner, Ronnie, picked us up at the bus station free of charge even though we did not even ask him to. For breakfast we expected the standard hostel meal, some fruit and bread, but in addition to that we were given eggs and his family prepared everything for us and did the dishes. When we were in the kitchen during other meal hours his family would offer us some of their food, as well. Our room only had three beds in it and the first night only my friend and I were in there so we practically had a private room for $14. When we wanted to go to the canopy tour Ronnie booked it for us. They also had hot water which was nice. He shuts down the kitchen at ten but since my friend and our new Swiss pal who had a better sense of humor than the many Fraulein's we had met along the way still wanted to talk he let us stay in there as long as we locked up. My only gripe is my room was right next to the computer room and one morning a bunch of loud British girls woke me up. If I had stayed another night I would have asked to go to a different room but it was not the hostel's fault English women are disrespectful of people's sleep. Overall, I would definitely recommend spending a few days with Ronnie and his family.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I thought with all the positive reviews on here that this place would be really good, but it's no better than average, and certainly for staying in a private room you can get significantly better in Santa Elena for only a little bit more cash.

We left after one night because we couldn't get the hot water working and the shower head was like a tap from the wall rather than a proper shower head. In addition part of the window of the room had been broken and temporarily fixed up with cardboard (I don't know how long it had been that way).

In its favour the free breakfast was good and the location is fine, and for a dorm room the price is really cheap. However, for a private room with shower, we preferred the place we moved to, which was one of the cabinas in town.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank optimist500
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at this hostel. The wife of the owner is an adorable person. Our daughter played with her kids. However we were disappointed with the attitude of the owner - Ronnie. First he took out the mirror from our room telling us he needs to fix, which he never did. Than he told us we could take our push chair for our baby to Selvatura because the trails were adapted for it there, which wasn't true and my husband had to carry it on his back. Later he also told us that there was a bus to Santa Elena Reserve, which wasn't true - the only way to reach the reserve is to book a shuttle in advance, so we were waiting for a bus like idiots until we discovered it won't come.
I found him quite unfriendly to us which was completely opposite case to his wife and his children!
The place is ok but could look better with just a bit of effort. (trash outside the building)
The breakfast was ok as well! Nice plate of fruit, eggs and cereals.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde
Cabinas Nuestra Kasa
Cabinas Nuestra Kasa
#7 of 34 in Santa Elena

Been to Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel? Share your experiences!