My wife and I have extensive international travel experience and decided to tour various parts of Costa Rica during the summer of 2007. We decided to include the Monteverde region in our itinerary because of its cloud forests, nature walks, suspended bridges, rip lines, rafting and other outdoor activities. The area has many choices of accommodations. We decided to stay in a wonderful place called The Rainbow Valley Lodge set back off the main road to town from San Jose. It is a new 2 apartment arrangement literally hanging over a high edge of the Santa Elena cloud forest. We booked the spectacular upper room which has one very large room with super comfortable queen size bed, folding table and two chairs, a closet and dry sink and several small tables. There are lots of lights and AC outlets. The bathroom is new and clean with hot water and excellent pressure and NO suicide shower. The best part of the house, however, is the adjoining enclosed porch with huge sliding windows on all four sides (one wall faces the large inner room). Here, in addition to a cushioned four seat bench and matching chair and table, there is a small kitchenette with sink, microwave, refrigerator, etc. From the first day of our stay we literally came face to face with a number of indigenous animals including white faced monkeys who climb the berry trees just outside the window. The number and types of butterflies and birds are equally special. The pictures that we have from this vantage point are incredible. Adjacent to the apartment is a lovely covered look out area with equally great views. Another benefit of this apartment is the closeness to downtown St. Elena, about a 15 minute walk. Here we found a number of passable restaurants, tour companies, a great bookstore, ATM, 2 supermarkets and a terrific bakery with arguably the best coffee in town. Rolf, a Minnesotan and the owner of the property, went way beyond the call of duty in so many ways. He guided us to the best nature tour guides, restaurants and hidden gems of the area and provided items (umbrellas, flashlights, etc.) to insure even a better time. He drove us in his pickup to town and made calls to connect us to many locals or to get us discounts on trips, accommodation and transportation (to the Arenal area), etc. Any bus from San Jose will let you off at the property just before the bus terminal (last stop) in Santa Elena. The price was incredibly low with a substantial discount for longer stays. Photos can be seen at the helpful website: [--]. It is without reservation that I recommend this rare find to anyone visiting the Monteverde cloud forest area looking for a comfortable, well-maintained apartment in a stunning location with great personalized attention from the owner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde is close to the town of Santa Elena, about 15 minutes walking or 3 minutes in a vehicle. With only eight rooms and no neighbors close by you can enjoy peace and quiet in a forest setting. We have Wi-Fi signal in all rooms. Clean rooms with hot water, possible chance to see animals right outside the rooms and owner help with guides and activities. All rooms have coffeemaker and Monteverde coffee plus small refrigerator. Parking near the rooms. Prices compare very favorably to other accommodations in Monteverde. We are not 5 star so please do not expect total luxury! We hope to see you here! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Rainbow Valley Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rainbow Valley Hotel Santa Elena
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena