Of the 7 accommodations on our Costa Rica trip, this was our favorite. We stayed in the cabin with its 3 beds, 2 bathrooms (and 2 showers with hot water pipes), full kitchen, and a porch. There's WIFI and an Internet-connected computer at the office. It cost $60/night but was easily worth $100+. We stayed for 4 nights and were greeted each morning by at least one coati. One morning, a troop of 7 white-faced monkeys also stopped by.
The owner, Rolf, is a very friendly Minnesota expat and an amazingly helpful host who speaks Spanish well. Even before we arrived, he provided helpful advise and arranged transportation from La Fortuna. Once we got there, he had lots more information about the many places he personally visited and coupons for local attractions and restaurants. He reserved tours (and their rides), called taxis, and arranged transportation to our next destination. He provided us with a needle and thread and an extra flashlight when we needed them and kindly did a load of laundry when our schedule made it problematic to get this chore done in town.
The lodge is a 10 to 15 minute walk (or a $2 cab ride) south of Santa Elena's main commercial area, which might not suit some, but we enjoyed the peace and quiet. The accommodations are down a very short hill from the main road, which also adds to the peace and quiet. Most people should be a able to climb the hill without any problem, but if you do need to catch your breath, then there's a beautiful view of the mountains and valley to enjoy while you do so.
We had a great stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde is close to the town of Santa Elena, about 15 minutes walking or 3 minutes in a vehicle. With only eight rooms and no neighbors close by you can enjoy peace and quiet in a forest setting. We have Wi-Fi signal in all rooms. Clean rooms with hot water, possible chance to see animals right outside the rooms and owner help with guides and activities. All rooms have coffeemaker and Monteverde coffee plus small refrigerator. Parking near the rooms. Prices compare very favorably to other accommodations in Monteverde. We are not 5 star so please do not expect total luxury! We hope to see you here! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Rainbow Valley Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rainbow Valley Hotel Santa Elena
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena