“Awesome Service from this Lodge”

Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Santa Elena
Reviewed March 12, 2014

As others have said, the drive up the mountain was rugged and bumpy (not sure why we didn't expect that after reading Trip Advisor for months). We stayed at the Cloud Forest Lodge for two nights at the beginning of a week-long trip. It was cool and windy, so long pants and long sleeved shirts/light jacket were needed. We were out of the room all during the day so we weren't able to explore the grounds as we might have with more time. While the room is a bit "rustic" without many amenities, it was clean and provided all we needed. Our room had one king size bed and a twin that we used for a resting place for our luggage. There is also a small open closet with a few shelves, and a table. We got a kick out of the room key which is attached to a very large wooden thing that looks like a pepper mill. There was a hair dryer in the bathroom (I had not seen this in any of the information). The WIFI did not work in our room, but did work in the restaurant. We ate breakfast and dinner there and the food was OK...not the greatest but fine if you don't feel like tackling the mountain again after a long day.

The thing I have to RAVE about, though, is that I left a fairly expensive item in the room when we checked out. I didn't even realize it until the staff called Anywhere Costa Rica, through whom we made all of our trip arrangements. Anywhere CR then arranged to have the item picked up and delivered to our next stop. THANK YOU Cloud Forest and ACR.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This place was amazing and beyond our expectations. The rooms were spacious, clean and well laid out. Our room had two bunk beds as well as a double bed, sofa and table, large closet area and bath/shower. The staff was very attentive. We had an excellent dinner at the restaurant.
We were on a road trip so only stayed one night but would recommend staying longer. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The drive up the mountain to Monteverde was very rugged but worth it. The rooms are clean, but sparse - no TV, no phone, no refrigerator, no heat, no air conditioning. The Cloud Forest area is often cool, so a little bit of room heat would have been nice.

The lodge had a very nice sitting area overlooking the countryside - great for relaxing with a drink from the bar. Sometimes you could hear and then see the zip-liners coming down.

The restaurant was very good. We had sea bass filet, chicken, pastas. There were 3 choices for the included breakfast and all were good.

The wi-fi worked well both in the rooms and in the lodge area.

The restaurant, bar and front desk staff was very nice and helpful. They went out of their way to help us with a reservation problem we had with one of our tours.

We liked this place and would not hesitate to stay here again if we were in the Monteverde area.

Tip: Bring warm clothes (jacket, sweatshirt, long pants).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2014

A lovely place to stay. Our cabin was very clean and spacious and bathroom a good size too. Lovely lounge area to watch humming birds and other wild life and beautiful sunsets. Food was average. Delicious muesli at breakfast. Very peaceful. It was much colder & windier here than i had expected so take a couple of extra layers just in case!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This place really is in the middle of the cloud forest! Beautiful surroundings! It's a good work out to walk down to Santa Elena village, since it's constantly up- and downhills walk.

We stayed here for two nights and there were only a couple of other guests here at the same time. The room were basic but very spacious and well cleaned. There is no safety in the room. The beds were so hard that it was difficult to sleep and the body hurts in the middle of the night.

The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. There is free wifi available in the restaurant and reception area.

Breakfast was nothing special, you order the type you prefer (American or local) and you get a plate served at the table.
We had dinner here both nights and the food is very pricey due to what you get. Not the best meals we had in Costa Rica.

It's much colder up here so don't forget your jeans and warm sweater!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Malin_o_Jonas
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed at the Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge two years ago, and really not a week has gone by since that I don't wish I were back there. It's not the flashiest place, nor does it have the most facilities, but it's so comfortable in every respect that it's idyllic.

The rooms are arranged up the hillside in terraces, so you can sit on your front porch and watch birds across and down the hillside--my wife and I spotted over thirty species in one afternoon and we're not even particularly good birders.The rooms are spacious and airy, with very comfortable beds and ours had a big bathroom. WiFi available pretty much throughout.

The dining room, part of the lower level of the lodge, has views down the hillside as well, and there are hummingbird feeders outside the windows that swarm with easily a dozen different species of birds. My wife says that the coffee is the finest she's had in Costa Rica, as well, and that is saying a lot. There's also a relaxing sitting/reading area attached with more views down and across the hills.

The lodge has its own trail system for nature walks. It's not a full-on national park tour but it's pretty spectacular and hard to believe how close to your rooms you are when you're on it. The people at the lodge are completely efficient, friendly and gracious, from the manager to the waitstaff, and are a large part of what gives the place such a compelling charm for me. It really is a capsule version of why I love Costa Rica--it's beautiful, laid-back, and feels like a favorite old shoe if that makes any sense. In fact, the only other experience I can compare the Cloud Forest Lodge to is renting a beach house in the off-season in New England. Same feeling of being completely comfortable, cozy and somehow having endless time for walks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nick_Egon_J
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My family stayed in this lodge for a couple nights. We had two rooms I think it was 9 and 10. We loved the rustic feel of the place. We did not miss the TV or room phone as we were here to enjoy nature and the wonderful views. Each cabin has a nice porch with chairs to sit in. I loved just sitting there and listenting to the sounds of the forest and watch the zip liners zooming overhead.
The main building is the restaurant and bar with a great terrace to enjoy the greate sunset with a beverage of your choice. The food was really good, my kids loved the pesto pasta and the staff was super friendly and accommodating. What a great place! I saw a lot of other hotels in the area but I was extremely happy to stay at the Coud Forest Lodge. This is not a five star hotel and they don't pretend to be. This is a very comfortable and cozy place in the midst of nature. The unique location away from the road and town adds to the charm. We walked to town (downhill) and usually took a taxi back to the lodge. Every time I stepped out of our cabin, listen and looked around I could not help myself but felt like I was part in a "Lost" episode. We enjoyed exploring the local trails around the lodge.
Overall this was my favorite stay while in Costa Rica, the unique location combined with great food and cozy cabins has me wanting to come back. HIghly reccommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
#5 of 20 in Monteverde
Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco
Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco
#3 of 7 in Santa Elena

Been to Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge? Share your experiences!