“Move along, nothing to see here”
Review of Quetzal Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Elena
Quetzal Inn
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Upon checking into the Quetzal Inn, my 13yr old son commented about the smell of mold and urine in the bathroom. My wife requested a room change and it was granted.
Within minutes in the new room my son (not normally a super spy) found sand under his pillow. I guess I'll sleep in that bed as I can deal with that. My daughter went to take a shower and the hot water was non existent. I went to check it out and noticed one of the wires that heats the showerhead dangling above her head and not a single towel in the room anywhere. That's 4 issues. We're outta here. While leaving the front desk girl handed a cell phone to my wife. I assume it was the owner. Instead of apologizing she got into a heated argument with my wife, and threatened to call the police as now she has to make the beds. (for real!!!!!) So here's my summary: If you are vacationing with you're family "MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE". If you're with a few biker buddies who've had too much too drink need a cold shower and don't care about sleeping in dirt you'll be right at home. Except for the missing towels!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JohnMMcKenzie

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The strongest points of Quetzal Inn are its location, in the heart of Santa Elena, and, at the same time, at a very quiety and secluded place; and the friendliness and care of its staff. Good for families.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is all about location. Slap bang in the middle of Santa Elena yet set back from the road, it's a perfect Monteverde base if you're looking for somewhere a short walk from an array of restaurants. The people who work there are lovely and very obliging. We booked a Santa Maria jungle night tour through them and were very happy with it. The breakfast is great. The rooms are not. Tiny dark, cold, wooden boxes where you can hear your neighbors breathing. When my neighbors awoke at 4:30 I was obliged to do so too. And the wind came right into the room during the night and made me shiver in my bed. I'd stay here again - it wasn't awful or anything. But the rooms definitely weren't luxurious!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at the Quetzal Inn 2 nights in october 2013. Ricardo is and incredible host: welcoming, helpful. We felt like home! There is a common kitchen, wich is very practical. The common areas are really welcoming and are a good opportunity to meet people from all over the world. My boyfriend and I even got engaged a the Quetzal, so it will be in our best memories for a long time!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cblier
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is a small hotel in the center of Santa Elena.
I found staff very helpful and the atmosphere very friendly. But I must confirm other reports: you will hear your neighbours. This because the rooms are all wood what makes them cosy but the wooden panels between rooms offer zero isolation,
I found the breakfast room rather impersonal, and did not use the communal kitchen.This is a good choice if you want to be close to everything, but don’t expect any fancy.
Fairly priced.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank jglaw
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I spent 6 nights here while hiking in the area and it was an excellent place for us. The room was simple and clean and remarkably quiet even though the hotel is right in the center of town. The breakfasts were delicious and quickly served by friendly people. For us, the availability of a kitchen was a huge asset. It allowed us to make our own lunches so we didn't have to come off the trail in the middle of the day, and we could make ourselves simple, healthy, delicious dinners at a fraction of the restaurant cost (we're vegetarians with a little lacto and gluten intolerance thrown in, so finding food that works for us can be a challenge). It was a 5 minute walk to the bus to either of the reserves and that was a great resource.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back building are quieter and we loved having a porch for hanging out and hanging thing...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusanJaneMc
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I and our two young children stayed here just before Christmas. Rick, the manager, was very helpful and always there with any questions we had. We originally had planned to stay in another hotel as the reviews weren't great for this one in our Lonely Planet, but on looking at the hotel first hand, we decided to stay here. I am very happy we made that decision as Rick was instrumental in making our stay in the cloud forest unforgettable with perfect recommendations of night tours and zip wires. He was also very kind to our two boys, which helped us all feel very much at home. Thanks Rick for the great time in Santa Elena, am sure it wouldn't have been nearly as cool without your guidance. The rooms by the way were very clean and comfortable. Full marks, matthew from London by way of missouri

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family