Jose and Marcelo, 2 brothers from a family of 11, own and run this gem of a hotel. They are the two most pleasant, charming and helpful people we have met on our trip in Costa Rica.
The rooms are spacious with good quality en suite shower. Breakfast varies each day, often with home made or grown produce eg the coffee. The rooms are very reasonable, note that the $50 rate is for cash, rising to $56.50 for credit cards. The boys also made the majority of the chairs and tables.
When we arrived Jose, who speaks fluent English, went thru the various thing to do, we were there for just 2 whole days so crammed the following in
Santa Elena reserve, Don Juan coffee tour a fascinating insight into how coffe gets from bean to cup, Selvatura zip wires and reptile house. The wires are a thrill, esp above the tree line and much less expensive than Sky Trek. We also did the reptile house with guide which was very interesting. We also did a night walk which was ok, but didnt see much apart from Coati and a tarantula.
Had 3 excellent eve meals, Don Juan, restorante de Lucia and best of all Mar Y Tierra, all similar pricing.
Jose is our shining knight. After we left the hotel heading toward the Pacific coast, we took a wrong turn and ended up 4km down a farm track at the bottom of a steep, steep hill. If you have been to the Santa Elena area you may understand how we could have mistaken this for the main road. We turned round, but couldnt get up the hill and the 4x4 overheated due to a non functioning fan and broken hose.
To cut a long story short Jose came, along with a farmer and cow hand, made a temporary repair on the car, drove it up the hill like a rally driver and then followed us for 2 hours in his own car, refilling us with water each time we overheated until we met up with the hire co for a new car. What a star! NB if you are driving to Santa Elena, it is ESSENTIAL to have a 4x4.
We cannot recommend Jose and Marcelo too highly they are lovely people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monteverde Rustic Lodge is a small family run hotel in the heart of Santa Elena Monteverde. Our lodge is recommended for solo travelers, couples, nature lovers and families. Our mission is to make sure that every single guest we have has a great individual experience and that each of you will go home with wonderful memories. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Monteverde Rustic Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monteverde Rustic Hotel Santa Elena
- Monteverde Rustic Lodge Costa Rica - Santa Elena