When the owner greets you at the door, you it is a good omen. We arrived here on the "bus-boat-bus" bus by virtue of a brochure we picked up in La Fortuna. We thought we'd check it out, but in aall of about 2 minutes, figured out it was worth the price negotiated with Jose for a three day stay. This "fine young man" together with his brother conceived and built this facility on the basis of experience at larger and more expensive hotels in the area. The rooms are well appointed and quite unique with polished logs and branches used for building trim and much of the furniture. The gardens outside of the room we were in overlooked the slopes of the lower cloud forest and were shared with a cultivated hummingbird community. We went hours a few feet from our room photographing birds and flowers. The rooms we say are set about in a compact format due to lot limitations. They are however well laid out and are well maintained. Hot water is available without problem. The room rate includes breakfast and other meals for groups can probably be arranged at the lodge. There is a local restaurant down the hill, directly below the lodge, but I would suggest a better selection is available in Santa Elena, a twenty minute walk away down a steep road (taxi is $2).
The strongest aspect of this facility is its ownership. Jose speaks English fluently and appears genuinely concerned about his guests and their enjoyment of the lodge and the area. He was born and raised within a short distance of Santa Elena and knows it well. He is a "gentle soul" worth knowing
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monteverde Rustic Lodge is a small family run hotel in the heart of Santa Elena Monteverde. Our lodge is recommended for solo travelers, couples, nature lovers and families. Our mission is to make sure that every single guest we have has a great individual experience and that each of you will go home with wonderful memories. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Monteverde Rustic Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monteverde Rustic Hotel Santa Elena
- Monteverde Rustic Lodge Costa Rica - Santa Elena