“The hummingbirds set the tone of this warm place”

Monteverde Rustic Lodge
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“The hummingbirds set the tone of this warm place”
Reviewed February 22, 2009

When the owner greets you at the door, you it is a good omen. We arrived here on the "bus-boat-bus" bus by virtue of a brochure we picked up in La Fortuna. We thought we'd check it out, but in aall of about 2 minutes, figured out it was worth the price negotiated with Jose for a three day stay. This "fine young man" together with his brother conceived and built this facility on the basis of experience at larger and more expensive hotels in the area. The rooms are well appointed and quite unique with polished logs and branches used for building trim and much of the furniture. The gardens outside of the room we were in overlooked the slopes of the lower cloud forest and were shared with a cultivated hummingbird community. We went hours a few feet from our room photographing birds and flowers. The rooms we say are set about in a compact format due to lot limitations. They are however well laid out and are well maintained. Hot water is available without problem. The room rate includes breakfast and other meals for groups can probably be arranged at the lodge. There is a local restaurant down the hill, directly below the lodge, but I would suggest a better selection is available in Santa Elena, a twenty minute walk away down a steep road (taxi is $2).
The strongest aspect of this facility is its ownership. Jose speaks English fluently and appears genuinely concerned about his guests and their enjoyment of the lodge and the area. He was born and raised within a short distance of Santa Elena and knows it well. He is a "gentle soul" worth knowing

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
North Carolina
Reviewed February 15, 2009

My wife and I were here in December 2007 and I told José that one day I would return with some of my grandchildren. I returned after a year with some of my family including two of my grandchildren. José met us as soon as we arrived and it was like coming home. After a welcome drink, José helped us plan all the things to do while we were there and he made arrangements for us on some of the tours. I was surprised to see how much he and his family have expanded the hotel. They now have 13 rooms and there are many improvements.

The rooms were clean and comfortable like before and the breakfast each morning was wonderful. José, Marcelo and the whole staff and family really go out of their way to give the best service possible. José spent a lot of time with my grandchildren and they both just love him. When we departed, José arranged for us to take the Jeep-Boat-Jeep ride to La Fortuna. I wanted my family to have a good vacation and the staff at the Rustic Lodge made sure that we did - It was wonderful staying there again.

I am enclosing several photos which help tell about our experience. I can't wait to return to the Rustic Lodge.

Thank you José.

Dan

• Liked — José and his family
  • Disliked — I liked everything.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
Reviewed February 9, 2009

From reading other TripAdvisor reviews of the Rustic Lodge, we had a similar positive experience.

José was extremely friendly and helpful - he even provided some ice for us when he spotted us enjoying a few gins and tonics outside our room after arriving on the long road from Arenal to Santa Elena.

We did most things José recommended and he booked everything for us - making it very easy for us to enjoy our stay.
I'd highly recommend the canopy gliding zip line at Selvatura - not as scary as it sounds and quite a unique experience whizzing through a cloud!

The rooms were cleaned daily and were very comfortable. They provided towels and linen and blankets. The breakfast was good - eggs freshly made and homemade granola.
Santa Elena is a small town, the Rustic Lodge is about a 10 minute leisurely walk down the hill to the town.

It can get cold in Santa Elena, as it is up so high in the mountains, so bring something warm to wear!

• Liked — José's hospitality!
  • Disliked — i'd be stuggling to find something
  • Stayed January 2009
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
#1 of 21 in Monteverde
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,289 reviews

Been to Monteverde Rustic Lodge? Share your experiences!