“very comfortable, spacious family room, warm hospitality”

Monteverde Rustic Lodge
Houston, Texas
“very comfortable, spacious family room, warm hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent two nights here and I wish we had spent another because there is so much to do here. We got a family room right above the breakfast room. The owner and the two young men who run the place are just so hospitable and relaxed. The room is very long and spacious. We had two double beds and a single. The bathroom is very spacious too with a big shower. There is no bath. It is perched on an hill, so we got some nice views of the mountains around us. The hotel is located within a very easy 10 to 15 minute walk into town (I walk very fast). But there are restaurants close by. The first night we ate at a local hole in the wall place, they only take cash, the food was delicious and the next night, we ate at a newish bistro and pizzarie which was also good. But you can walk to these two places which is why I mention it.

Breakfast in included. They have two menus and alternate days. They will serve coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Fruit was there both mornings. One morning it was pancakes and some cheese and bread. Another morning, I think it was eggs, and cheese and bread.

The rooms are freshened and you can request fresh towels if you wish. They swept and cleaned the room. They do not have safes in the room. We left our ipads, computer and passport in the room. The owner assured us it was fine and it was.

The gardens are very nice. They are small and the cabins/rooms are close together but the gardens are lovely. The beds were comfortable. The furnishing is simple.

one thing I will say is that there are two family rooms above the reception and breakfast room and the walls are thin. The first night we were there, an English family with young kids were there and we heard every word. They had a loud child and the mother had a loud voice and they were just not a considerate family. I mentioned this the next day to Jose and he rolled his eyes in sympathy. Fortunately they were leaving. I don't like to make too much of a fuss when I'm on holiday and I understand other people are as well, but please people do be understanding. this family was equally loud in the breakfast room.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it to the family. We were exhausted the first night. But I am doing to suggest to the hotel that you put a simple sign up in the room letting guests know to keep their voices down after a certain time say 9pm?

I also liked that they can organise activities and as far as I can tell, they did not add a surcharge on it. This is just a service they provide and they do give good information but read my reviews of the three activities we did if you want more information - Sabines's smiling horses, Finca modelo for canyoning (rappelling down the waterfall) and 100% adventure tours for ziplining). We paid in cash and got a discount.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank drironwoman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Midwest City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Rustic Lodge is a great place to stay for the price.They have nice clean rooms and a breakfast with fresh fruit every morning. The gardens around the hotel are very well kept. Jose' was very helpful with arranging tours for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived very late on a Friday night, but we had arranged with Jose to have a driver meet us at the Liberia airport. We were glad for the driver - not only was he friendly, but he could navigate those bumpy, twisty, unlit roads very well!

Rustic Lodge was a refuge! It was the first place we stayed in Costa Rica. I didn't expect too much, due to the title of the lodge, but we had made our reservations well in advance and so we stayed in huge, beautiful rooms just above the dining area. They were so clean!! I had expected some cobwebs but found none, which was a great relief because we were all a little nervous about spiders in Costa Rica. The floors were tile; the ceilings were vaulted and made of wood. The rooms had a pretty view of green hills and I liked the landscaping at the lodge. Everything was well-kept. It was quiet at night and usually during the day.

Jose and all his staff were so friendly and helped us whenever we needed something. Most of the staff spoke English but accomodated me when I wished to try speaking Spanish. The breakfasts were tasty and they also were able to serve food that my gluten-free, egg-free children could eat. My girls said the corn tortillas were yummy! They liked them with rice and beans, or butter and marmalade.

I was pleasantly surprised that we could easily walk to Santa Elena "downtown". It was about a 5-10 minute walk. If you want to walk, though, you should be okay with walking hills. The area was very windy at times, but also sunny (we went in February). We did have some rain. It downpoured on the morning we had chosen to do our early morning "search for the Quetzal". We had purchased ponchos the day before at Selvatura, so those helped. If you go, I do recommend the ziplines (canopy) at Selvatura, the night walk with Hector (an employee of Selvatura), and Don Juan's coffee tour.

I am very, very, very glad we chose Rustic Lodge for our stay in Monteverde. It was a delight.

Room Tip: I think we stayed in rooms 7 and 8, but am not sure. They were above the dining room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at the Monteverde Rustic Lodge. We spent 4 nights there this past February and it was our favourite among all our accommodations during our 2 ½ weeks in Costa Rica. The owner/operator, Jose, is fulfilling a life-long dream to operate a hotel in the town where he spent his childhood and his passion is evident. He and his staff provided a warm and welcoming atmosphere and Jose was always available to answer our questions and help arrange activities. Our room was very affordable and included a wonderful, generous breakfast. The room was very comfortable for two, and exceptionally clean. Most of the lodge is quite new (built by Jose with help from family), and the grounds are beautiful and very well-tended. The lodge is about 10 minutes’ walk from the centre of Santa Elena and is a very peaceful and quiet place. We often lingered over our breakfast of fresh fruit and juice, pancakes, Monteverde cheese and the best coffee we had on vacation. There was a ceiling fan in the room, and A/C is not needed – it becomes nice and cool in the evenings, and all you need to do is let the breeze blow through. There are excellent restaurants nearby, laundry services are available, and Wi-Fi in the rooms. We were even fortunate enough to see a sloth in the large trees behind the lodge – but he might not be there when you go. We would highly recommend the Rustic Lodge! Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My two daughters and I stayed in the triple room across from the lobby of the hotel for 3 nights. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the fresh fruit in the morning along with delicious coffee was great. Two things out of the control of the staff-barking dogs kept me awake at night, and roosters woke me early in the mornings. I'm a light sleeper, though, so it may not bother everyone. We didn't discover the pizza/Italian restaurant around the corner until our last night. It's even closer than walking into Santa Elena, and it was good food. I'd recommend Rustic Lodge -just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Monteverde Rustic Lodge and this no frills basic hotel was ideal for our needs and good value. It is clean, the breakfasts are ample and the staff are extremely helpful and arranged all our trips around the Monteverde area and directed us to a supurb restaurant. We did not have a car and it also helped that the Lodge is within walking distance of the town of Santa Elena.
Colin

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stay at the Rustic Lodge for 2 nights. The rooms were clean. The atmosphere is very friendly and Jose is a very good host. His recommendations for guides and transportation were excellent. The breakfast was simple but good and was served in a very friendly atmosphere.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
#1 of 21 in Monteverde
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,273 reviews

Been to Monteverde Rustic Lodge? Share your experiences!