We spent two nights here and I wish we had spent another because there is so much to do here. We got a family room right above the breakfast room. The owner and the two young men who run the place are just so hospitable and relaxed. The room is very long and spacious. We had two double beds and a single. The bathroom is very spacious too with a big shower. There is no bath. It is perched on an hill, so we got some nice views of the mountains around us. The hotel is located within a very easy 10 to 15 minute walk into town (I walk very fast). But there are restaurants close by. The first night we ate at a local hole in the wall place, they only take cash, the food was delicious and the next night, we ate at a newish bistro and pizzarie which was also good. But you can walk to these two places which is why I mention it.
Breakfast in included. They have two menus and alternate days. They will serve coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Fruit was there both mornings. One morning it was pancakes and some cheese and bread. Another morning, I think it was eggs, and cheese and bread.
The rooms are freshened and you can request fresh towels if you wish. They swept and cleaned the room. They do not have safes in the room. We left our ipads, computer and passport in the room. The owner assured us it was fine and it was.
The gardens are very nice. They are small and the cabins/rooms are close together but the gardens are lovely. The beds were comfortable. The furnishing is simple.
one thing I will say is that there are two family rooms above the reception and breakfast room and the walls are thin. The first night we were there, an English family with young kids were there and we heard every word. They had a loud child and the mother had a loud voice and they were just not a considerate family. I mentioned this the next day to Jose and he rolled his eyes in sympathy. Fortunately they were leaving. I don't like to make too much of a fuss when I'm on holiday and I understand other people are as well, but please people do be understanding. this family was equally loud in the breakfast room.
I don't know if anyone mentioned it to the family. We were exhausted the first night. But I am doing to suggest to the hotel that you put a simple sign up in the room letting guests know to keep their voices down after a certain time say 9pm?
I also liked that they can organise activities and as far as I can tell, they did not add a surcharge on it. This is just a service they provide and they do give good information but read my reviews of the three activities we did if you want more information - Sabines's smiling horses, Finca modelo for canyoning (rappelling down the waterfall) and 100% adventure tours for ziplining). We paid in cash and got a discount.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monteverde Rustic Lodge is a small family run hotel in the heart of Santa Elena Monteverde. Our lodge is recommended for solo travelers, couples, nature lovers and families. Our mission is to make sure that every single guest we have has a great individual experience and that each of you will go home with wonderful memories. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Monteverde Rustic Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monteverde Rustic Hotel Santa Elena
- Monteverde Rustic Lodge Costa Rica - Santa Elena