Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$78
$76
Hotel Las Orquideas(Santa Elena)
$56
$106
  • Breakfast included
$67
$61
Pension Santa Elena(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$27
$25
Official Hotel Site
Santa Elena Hostel Resort(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$35
$18
Hostelworld.com
Arco Iris Lodge(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Agoda.com
All reviewshot tubswim up barcosta ricaeco friendly hotelmetal roofhotel restaurantgrocery storehanging bridgeswelcome drinksmall hotelno air conditioningcloud forestin townfrog pondsmall towncoffee makerstayed two nights
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed at the Poco a Poco for 2 nights last week. I stayed in 6 hotels within 2 weeks and this was one of the best for $100.

Positive points:

The manager/owner is extremely helpful and nice
My room looked good, it was modern.
It was very quiet.
I had a balcony.
The bathroom was large and clean.
Nice restaurant, very good breakfast.
Nice swimming pool/garden area.

Negative points:

The bed sheets smelled like they hadn’t been changed in months.

Other guests told me that their rooms was very noisy…

Monteverde is a very touristic town. You probably don’t want/need to spend more than 1 or 2 nights there. The cloud forest is fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
GuidoMontero, Director General at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2015

Dear Trip Advisor member: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Poco a Poco, the best value hotel in Monteverde.
Our location, added values, facilities, details, and specially the service are all up the best standars.

Reviewed January 3, 2010

Dead bugs, dust bunnies, pungent bathroom, frayed towels, stained pillowcases, beat-up furniture, loud music from the restaurant - this is what you get in your room on check-in.

What you DON'T get: no extra towels, no clock, no a/c, no fan, no chairs, nothing to sit on the balcony, no place to put suitcases. Room so small, that 2 skinny people can barely pass each other.

Breakfast is 2 small pancakes or overcooked eggs and 3 slices of fruit.

Hotel is eco in the name only - they use incandescent, not fluorescent light bulbs everywhere. No flow restrictors on faucets, no low-flush toilet. No solar panels.

Everything is extra - use of safe is $3/day; use of hotel computer is $6/hour.

To add insult to injury, the hotel is in the middle of construction - daily drilling, hammering, smells, garbage and construction materials all over the yard and pool area.

You pay $130/night plus tax for all the luxury and charm of a rundown youth hostel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank goodtravel

Dear trip advisor user: thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve our quality and services, We try really hard to provide the best service possible, sometimes, things just do not turn out the way we´d wish, Your patience and understanding are both highly appreciated,
I know how important is to provide our guests with the quality and service they expect, and sadly, there are not second chances for a first impression.
Please be sure we are doing everything on our behalf to deliver the best service possible,
Each negative feedback, creates a new opportunity to make things better next time.
Thank you.

Reviewed December 14, 2009

Very modern smart hotel located a few minutes walk (uphill) from the town of Santa Elena. The room was welle quipped with a nice en-suite and lovely balcony. I was unwell when I arrived and the staff were incredibly helpful and spoke superb English. The restaurant and bar were very pleasant and there is also a pool. A very nice place to stay and explore this amazing area.

• Stayed: December 2009

Reviewed November 4, 2009

We stayed here 2 nights and were glad to leave. Understanding that this is a 'green' hotel, I expected a few comfort concessions. I was disappointed that the bathroom included no hand towels or washcloths. There was no room A/C unit to handle humidity. Only the transom windows allowed the damp outside air to move through the room and bathroom, making the whole room feel damp and smell musty. The transom windows in our bathroom opened (vented) into a shared hallway/sitting area. Nightly rain on the acrylic overhang above the hallway/sitting area echoed through our room. After a poor night's sleep from the hard bed, humid air and noise coming in from hallway, I wanted some coffee to get the day started, but found there was no place to plug in the room's coffee maker without moving a lamp or putting the coffeemaker in the small bathroom. The mirror in bathroom was hung so low, I could only see up to the top of my neck while standing (I'm 5' 10"), so I had to squat while I shaved and combed my hair.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with helping us arrange or activities and the restaurant had good food, so I'm giving it 2 stars for that, even though on the second night we entered the empty restaurant and as soon as we started to sit down, the restaurant manager/waiter asked us to move from a table set for 4 to any table set for 2!?!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TerryS7

Thank you.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

I'm happy to report we stayed in Poco a Poco and had an amazing experience!

The staff was extra helpful as my boyfriend's luggage was lost at the airport and we hadn't had time to stick around town waiting for it. While the airlines were incompetent and even hung up on us once and didn't return calls, the lady at the front desk helped talk to them for us and we got our bag delivered that night all the way from San Jose!

They also have great excursions they offer from local providers.

What I liked most about the hotel though was the eco-friendliness and how they really seem committed to this principle down to the details without harming service or accomodations or upping the price too much.

The restaurant was DELICIOUS and the grounds were so cute with the large and sometimes random stone statues-I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple