Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$44
$43
Hotel Las Orquideas(Santa Elena)
$46
$87
  • Breakfast included
$65
$54
Santa Elena Hostel Resort(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$54
$35
$65
$58
Pension Santa Elena(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$27
Arco Iris Lodge(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$45
$39
Agoda.com
All reviewshot tubswim up barcosta ricaeco friendly hotelmetal roofhotel restaurantgrocery storehanging bridgeswelcome drinksmall hotelno air conditioningcloud forestin townfrog pondsmall towncoffee makerstayed two nights
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Hotel Poco a Poco has a wonderful staff. They were very helpful in booking activities and giving directions to our next destination. Our room was ok. We had two full sized beds and a twin. The walls were slightly worned down and had a slight smell of mold. The bathroom was very clean and spacious.
The restuarant had good food and breakfast was included.
The pool was clean and had a great view of the skyline (great for watching the sunset). There was also basketball court available behind the pool area.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank monkey24
GuidoMontero, Director General at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2015

Dear Trip Advisor member: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Poco a Poco, the best value hotel in Monteverde.
Our location, added values, facilities, details, and specially the service are all up the best standars.

Reviewed December 28, 2007

this is a great local hotel with a nice restaurant and heated pool. the rooms are basic although clean. this is also a great hotel for older guests or disabled travelers as they have wheelchair friendly rooms and the pool area is ramped. /

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed December 17, 2007

The staff at Poco a Poco were an exceptional group of Ticos that basically took care of me from the time I walked in the door. They even remembered exactly what I had asked for when I made the reservation which was a room with a view. As soon as they realized that I had difficulty in walking they put me on the 2nd floor rather than the 4th and I still had an awesome view each morning!

The quality of food and portion size was plenty including the free breakfast each morning!

Diego the owner and managers Guido and Rodolfo were most helpful during my stay in answering questions and concerns since I was traveling alone, and even took the time to secure transportation for me when I wanted to go somewhere.

Very friendly atmosphere and a place that I definitely will visit again in June of 2008.

Regards,
Seaturtlelady

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dear Mrs Seaturtle: Thank you very much for your comments and review.

Reviewed October 22, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights in October which is the rainy season. The plus points are helpful reception staff and efficient when booking tours and transport. Bathroom was well decorated and the hot shower was very good. Our room was clean but all the bedding were damp including pillows, sheets, duvets, etc. There was no heating or cooling in the room. Because of the heavy rain in this area, there is no way to dry out the moisture in the room.
In the reception and restaurant area, there was a permeating smell of stale cooking or frying which we found quite nauseating. Perhaps it is due to lack of extractor fans in the kitchen. A thorough clean of the whole downstairs area may rid it of this odour.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank AmyAmy
ManagerPocoaPoco, Gerente at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2011

We appreciate your comments Amy, I guarantee that our problems of humidity in the rooms have been solved with dehumidifiers, which work into them 1 hour daily while rooms are cleaned. The bedding is now dryed using green techniques plus dryers with capacity to dry up to 125% of our maximum demand in a half of the regular time. According to our sustainability program, we still do not use heating or air conditioning systems. For comfort of our clients, last year we built a new structure in order to separate Restaurant from Reception, in addition we placed a new odor extractor at the kitchen, these changes completely resolved odor problems.

Reviewed September 22, 2007

I am a High School Spanish teacher and count myself fortunate in life to have discovered Monteverde, Costa Rica. I have visited as often as possible, with family and with students enrolled in Pre-IB Programs and desire to study and learn to speak Spanish. "Poco a Poco" is a special hotel which I have frequented for several years.

The name "Poco a Poco" means "little by little" and is a motto that I subscribe to in both my life and teaching career. Over the years, I have witnessed improvements happen "poco a poco" to both town and hotel. With a recent paving of the road in front, access to town is now a dream.

"Poco a Poco" features spacious, clean, and well appointed rooms. The baths are luxurious, with room to move around. The showers feature ease of entry and again, room that will spoil you. Both water pressure and temperature are great, which is often not the case in Costa Rica!

The focal point of the area is nature...and the views are incredible from various balconies or windows of "Poco a Poco." On a good day, you can see the Pacific Ocean. The main draw in Santa Elena and Monteverde is the Cloud Forests. From "Poco a Poco", you are within walking distance, or short taxi to all the areas of interest...and there are many. The staff is friendly and goes to great lengths to help guests understand what they should see and do. They also offer assistancewith plans and reservations.

"Poco a Poco's" dining room offers delicious "home cooked" traditional fare, as well as a variety of dishes to appeal to travelers. It will be difficult to return to the typical fast food in the States. The service is friendly and proficient.

On site there is a heated and covered pool, which is devine. After a day of hiking through the Cloud Forest of Monteverde or Santa Elena, or zipping through the canopy, nothing is more welcome and appealing than a couple of hours in the pool, followed by a late, delicious meal served in the dining room.

Monteverde is "heaven on earth." I have visited many times and feel like I am home when I arrive. "Poco a Poco" is a great place to stay from all considerations...two thumbs up! "Poco a Poco" is definately pura vida for the traveler wishing to experience Costa Rica at it's best!!

• Stayed: June 2007