Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$78
Hotel Las Orquideas(Santa Elena)
$56
$106
  • Breakfast included
$67
$61
Santa Elena Hostel Resort(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$35
Pension Santa Elena(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$27
$25
Official Hotel Site
Arco Iris Lodge(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$44
All reviewshot tubswim up barcosta ricaeco friendly hotelmetal roofhotel restaurantgrocery storehanging bridgeswelcome drinksmall hotelno air conditioningcloud forestin townfrog pondsmall towncoffee makerstayed two nights
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights at this boutique hotel. It was most comfortable offering a nice breakfast, nice pool/hot tub area, good views and a fine location. Walkable to many restaurants.
The musicians performing on the nights I was there were of high caliber playing acoustic guitar with a unique Central American style.
Rooms were small but serviceable.
I was quite put off from some of the bad reviews here from other posters but did not find the same faults. Most of all we were not at all plagued by insects despite being in the cloud forest.
I would recommend this hotel for someone who wants an in town Monterde experience. There are other hotels up the hill in more remote locations and if that is what you want, Poco a Poco is not your place.
Good stay. Watch those Monteverde roads, they are something else again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
GuidoMontero, Director General at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2015

Dear Trip Advisor member: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Poco a Poco, the best value hotel in Monteverde.
Our location, added values, facilities, details, and specially the service are all up the best standars.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Well placed hotel, not to close to city center and all the noise, but still within walking distance.
Very frindly and helpfull staff.
Pool area was nice and and child frindly.
A bit messy, due to rebuilding.
Restaurent staff was very kind and helpful.
Parking was a bit limited.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JesperOL

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Hotel was noisy, staff was not very helpful. The only part of this hotel that was nice was the view of the valley, yet the complimentary breakfast was set up indoors despite the fact that there were tables outside. The waiter did allow us to sit outside with our breakfast after we asked, but did not seem too happy about it. The room I was in had a view of the parking lot and the road, and I was woken up by the sound of construction on the days that I stayed. I definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Summer E

Dear trip advisor user: thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve our quality and services, We try really hard to provide the best service possible, sometimes, things just do not turn out the way we´d wish, Your patience and understanding are both highly appreciated,
I know how important is to provide our guests with the quality and service they expect, and sadly, there are not second chances for a first impression.
Please be sure we are doing everything on our behalf to deliver the best service possible,
Each negative feedback, creates a new opportunity to make things better next time.
Thank you.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

It's 7:13 am, with my bags packed, tired, and awake on my honeymoon. We were supposed to be spending two nights here, but I'd rather chance trying to find a place in a hostel at our next destination than spend another night here.
Not usually one to whine about the little things, but too many things have gone wrong in one night for me not to review this place, and prevent others from coming here. The reviews on here are deceiving. I get I'm in a third world country, but at $130 a night, the least I can get is a running shower.

List of unfortunate events in one evening:
-After the crazy drive on the unpaved road, jumping in a hot tub was really all I was looking forward to. The spa was not hot. I spoke to someone twice about it, and they said that was the hottest it got about 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
-got in the pool around 7:30-8 and there wasn't a bar tender at the pool bar
-asked for a wine bottle opener, was told to go to the restaurant to get it opened.
-after the warm "hot tub", I decided maybe a hot shower would be better. It felt nice for the first 3 minutes, then the water just completely turned off, then just cold water slowly dribbled out of the shower head.
-water pressure sucked in the shower WHEN IT WAS WORKING.
-thin walls, you can hear EVERYTHING.
-small rooms, drab decorating (faux suede comforters in costa rica??)
-noisy
-no screens on windows to keep bugs out
-no balcony

Pros:
-friendly and helpful staff, was greeted with a cocktail. Sweet!
-nice pool area
-close to Selvatura park & Santa Elena
-free breakfast
-free wi-fi
-free parking

In short, the two stars are for cleanliness, friendly/helpful staff, and a nice pool area. I was disappointed and wouldn't book again. Hell, I couldn't even bare to stand the second night we were booked for. Adios, Poco a Poco. :(

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzyHo

Thank you.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were only spending 1 night in the Monteverde area and a travel agent suggested this hotel in the Santa Elena area. The room was very small, but we didn't need much room. Our view was lovely. We did not use the pool. The breakfast was fine as were the other meals. They have live music there as well. The hotel staff was all extremely helpful and added a lot to our stay. The desk clerk, who doubled as the travel agent, assisted us with our travel plans and was really helpful. Even the waiter in the restaurant added to our trip by having a long conversation with us about living and working in Monteverde. I did think that the hotel was a bit overpriced, but the friendly staff more than made up for it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple