Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$78
$76
Hotel Las Orquideas(Santa Elena)
$56
$106
  • Breakfast included
$67
$61
Pension Santa Elena(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$27
$25
Official Hotel Site
Santa Elena Hostel Resort(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$35
$18
Hostelworld.com
Arco Iris Lodge(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Agoda.com
All reviewshot tubswim up barcosta ricaeco friendly hotelmetal roofhotel restaurantgrocery storehanging bridgeswelcome drinksmall hotelno air conditioningcloud forestin townfrog pondsmall towncoffee makerstayed two nights
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Rooms do not have ac.

Rooms are small.

Breakfast is very average.

However, the rooms were updated and bathrooms were nice.

Overall, very average.

• Stayed: May 2012
GuidoMontero, Director General at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2015

Dear trip advisor user: thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve our quality and services, we try really hard to provide the best service possible, sometimes, things just do not turn out the way we´d wish, Your patience and understanding are both highly appreciated,
Please be sure we are doing everything on our behalf to deliver the best service possible,
each negative feedback, creates a new opportunity to make this better next time.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights, and weren't impressed. It looks like a nice place on the surface, but once you get to your room it is a different story. We were in room 45. Our first night went a little something like this...no A/C (expected), so we opened the windows. Somehow our room didn't have screens on the windows and within minutes our room was swarmed with tons of bugs. Fine, close the windows. Midnight rolls around....fire alarm goes off, then stops 30 minutes later. Then goes off again at 1am until 2am. The next day we complained to management about both issues, and their response was "there was nothing we could do". We requested a room change, and they were at least willing to do that. They moved us to room 22, which was MUCH nicer than the original one we were in, had screens on windows and a ceiling fan. At this point, the manager did apologize, and rectified the situation with a refund for the first night.

The food was okay, but seemed over priced.

If you stay here, be sure to preview your room (or request one in the newer section) - but I would recommend staying elsewhere. I wasn't impressed and won't be going back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kate F

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I will start this off by saying, I know what country I visited. Costa Rica is still considered a 3rd world country, but as my tour guide said, they are making large strides and succeeding in moving up. That being said, I had high hopes for Poco a Poco. The reviews looked great and I have always had good experiences staying in hotels around the world. Unfortunately, for all the good I read, it could not have been farther from the truth.

A little about most if not all the hotels in Costa Rica. You can not put toilet paper in the toilets! I am not complaining about this, I am just letting you know. There are signs in most hotels, but in some there are not. They put trash cans beside the toilets for you. In Poco a Poco you could not flush anything. If you flush anything other than your waste, you may end up with a plumbing problem. This did not happen to us in this hotel or any other hotels, but we didn't flush our paper. Just an FYI to save you from any future problems.

Let's start with the good:

The restaurant on site is fantastic. The food was very well prepared and seasoned well. They had nightly entertainment, a one man band, and he was very very good. We enjoyed him and requested songs. His voice was very melodic and he could play the guitar quite well. Dinner and the entertainment were the highlight of the stay. The breakfast was pretty good. Pancakes, eggs, meat, beans, rice fruit, juice coffee tea. Nothing out of the ordinary, I would eat it again.

The hot tub was used by some in our group and they said it was nice and hot and very good. We stayed at other places where the water was cold in the hot tub. Not sure what that is all about...

We requested a fan in our room (as did my mom and brother) and were given tall oscillating floor fans, which were great! It moved the air in the room around and allowed the room to cool off faster. Unfortunately the fan could not be placed in front of the window (see the bad).

The staff when we dealt with them were quite nice. We asked for two more towels (they give you two in the room) and a fan and were quickly given the items.

The fitness room has a treadmill, elliptical, weights, fans, a scale, a bike and the big balls you do sit ups with (the name has escaped me). The balls were flat, but the treadmill was great. It has a fan and that was nice. The room gets, CRAZY HOT, so I advise you to open the door to keep it at a tolerable temperature.

The grounds were very pretty and they had a small herb and tomato garden. There was a patio and a pool (I did not swim in) and some benches to sit and relax. I liked the grounds, I thought they were very pretty and well kept.

The hotel is environmentally friendly, which I like very much.

The bad:

Our room was very very hot when we got there. There is no air conditioning in the rooms so we asked for a fan. It cools off enough at night that you don't really need much a/c. The problem is there were no screens in the windows and if there were screens they had holes in them. This allowed for A LOT of bugs to get into the room. We are not talking just one or two, we are talking 15+ little tiny gnat type bugs flying all over. There were other bugs as well in the room (crickets and other larger flying things as well as larger crawling things).

The double beds were not uncomfortable, but the blankets were very heavy and thick. I am not sure the need for them since it doesn't get too terribly cold there. I slept with just a sheet, but I am hot natured. I can sleep on most any bed and slept fine (other than having the icks from the bugs).

The doors do not fit snugly in the frame, so it allowed for yet more bugs to enter the room. On our first night there, I pulled back the sheets only to find a very big (2 inches or so) millipede in my bed. Needless to say, I was NOT happy. I picked it up with some brochures and put it outside. Not exactly what brings to mind a good nights sleep.

I always wear slippers in a hotel room, but if that is not the norm for you, make sure you wear them. I got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and put my flops on. Thank goodness because when I woke up the next morning I noticed I had stepped on and killed a bug on that trip.

I noticed bugs in the shower that were there before and after the room was cleaned. I know this may sound nit picky but once you find a bug in your shower, bed, room, etc you always think they are on you or around. It makes for poor sleeping conditions. We kept our suitcases closed the entire time so we wouldn't get any bugs in them.

All in all, I felt the hotel was dirty (bugs remained in the bathroom the entire time we were there) and not properly cleaned. I wish the rooms would have been nicer and they may be in the higher rooms. But there were two or three others in our group that stayed on higher levels and they had constant bugs (the gnats, crickets, scorpions,etc.) in their rooms as well. As far as I can remember, everyone complained of bugs in their rooms as well as a dampness. I had cardboard items and paper items in my room and they became soggy. Very strange.

Also, if the little things were done: screens in the windows, replacing screens with holes in them, placing weather stripping around doors, then the rooms would improve immensely. I am not asking for an overhaul, just a few little things and it would improve the hotel rooms greatly.

I can't remember the room number we were in, but if you have questions just let me know and I can check.

Room Tip: I was in a tour group and had a lower level (bottom floor room). There was no view to be had from there and I think if you are higher there might be less bugs in your room and a better view. Go for the higher up rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DreamTraveler15

Dear Dream Traveler: Thank you both for the good comments and the remarks about what must be improved. I really liked your review and it has given us a very good sense of where we stand in terms of our constant improvement policy..
thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve our quality and services, We try really hard to provide the best service possible, sometimes, things just do not turn out the way we´d wish, Your patience and understanding are both highly appreciated,
I know how important is to provide our guests with the quality and service they expect, and sadly, there are not second chances for a first impression.
Each negative feedback, creates a new opportunity to make things better next time.
Thank you.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were really delighted by this hotel... Very comfortable room with great view from our balcony....

Great spa options, jacuzzi, pool, wet bar, garden and delicious breakfast buffet in the morning...

Nice restaurant; a bit pricey though... It's so easy and convenient to walk downtown and find so good other restaurants ;-)

If you stay during week-end or holiday I hope you don't expect to sleep early !!! Too much street noise, cars, motorcycles and fiesta !!!

The staff was wonderful and so helpful :-)

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Trip Advisor member: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Poco a Poco, the best value hotel in Monteverde.
Our location, added values, facilities, details, and specially the service are all up the best standars.
Thank you and we wish you had the best time during your vacation in Costa Rica.
Happy travels.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We were booked at this property by the tour operator. It was a great price, but this was our anniversary trip, and we were very unhappy with the quality of the rooms. Between the spartan decor, blue fluorescent lights, and patio view of tin roof tops, it wasn't for us, given the purpose of our trip. We decided to move to Monteverde Lodge & Gardens, and the staff at Poco a Poco could not have been more accommodating or kind. Though under NO obligation whatsoever, they gave us a full refund when we told them of our disappointment. We were very grateful. Also, we ate 2 late lunches at the restaurant and were thrilled with the quality of the meals. The wait staff was top-notch as well. So...although it wasn't what we wanted, this hotel gets high marks from me.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple