All reviews banana bread vegetarian restaurant the kitchen eggs the owner costa rica free breakfast private room other guests in town hot water common room felt like home every morning stayed here for nights pollo hostel
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My friend and myself had 2 separate bedrooms. Our was on the 1st floor with a very smelly bathroom. We also found a large black very active spider under the mattress.

Our friends' bedroom was upstairs with shared bathroom. The bedroom walls were comprised of vertical slats of wood and between the slats were numerous large black spiders living inside the bedroom inside the walls. The spiders were all over..at least 10 of them!! It was VERY CREEPY! When we reported this to the owner, David, he justified this by saying that we were in the jungle...We apologized and explained that we felt very uncomfortable staying in his rooms and 2 hours after checking in, we checked out. Later on, he wrote to both of us and said that we messed up the rooms and is charging is first night stay...we did NOT mess up the rooms and he was just lying so that he could get $ out of us! He is a dishonest business person!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2009

To be totally honest our bad experience had more to do with the town of Santa Elena than this particular hostel. We paid $25 for a room with a private bath that DID have hot water. We got what we paid for, no surprises. The town itself was what was disappointing.

The breakfast was fine, although the milk was warm-room temp. The room was fairly clean, but the kitchen was filthy. The bowls that were put out for breakfast still had cereal in them. There were signs all over telling guests to clean up after themselves, but the owner's wife was the one who left dirty dishes laying around. We only used the kitchen once.

The room wasn't comfortable and it wasn't easy to use the common room that only had 4 chairs, We decided to give up what we had paid for the room and get out of there several days early.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2008

When I got there, I realized that the place was a crap-hole. It was loud, there were drunkards walking up and down the street making a ton of noise, throwing glass bottles and yelling (not good for cars parked near by or attempting to sleep).

Don't listen to the owners of this shack when they tell you they accept late arrivals. I specifically had a local call for me and make reservations. They said they would be there to allow us to check in a 11:00p.m. Once we got there, all the lights were off and the office was closed. I was forced to find a place to stay at midnight AND they had the nerve to CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD!!!

I proceeded to call the owners when I got back to my home country and he denied that we were told that we can check in late. He was so rude on the phone. I wonder how much money they make off of people by doing the same thing.

There are other equally affordable options WITH PARKING and a quiet night's sleep.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CASATRANQUILO, Owner at Casa Tranquilo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2008

About this letter i would like to make some things clear.

Reservations are only accepted when a time and date are provided and specially those done by phone and that are guaranteed by providing a Credit Card. I can prove this reservation was made for 8.00 pm and if no one calls to say they will cancel the reservation then i am entitled to charge this card for the no show. Anyone who makes a reservation and provides this kind of information knows this. There is no place where it says we are open 24 hours.

I do not know what happened and i believe the person who was in charge of making the reservation (the local) for this person had a communication problem with "TicoTaco" or the receptionist of our hostel.

I feel very insulted that someone comes and calls my place a shack without even knowing or even stayed here. Yes i know i don't have a 5 star hotel but we do provide a good fair service to our guests for the price that is charged... You can read great comments that other guests have left at this website.

About the drunks, well this is a touristy place and i can guarantee that out of all people who come and spend holidays here a lot of them get drunk and party along the streets. I'm not sure if they where local drunks or not.

Also please, for anyone who wants to make a reservation at our place, please read the terms of service, reservation and cancellation policies of the places you are going to stay, and try to contact the owners or managers directly so that there are no misunderstandings.

I regret that this person has written such things about my place. And for this i will be having to change my reservation policy to guarantee no misunderstandings with future guests.

Thanks for reading...

David Diller J - Owner
CASA TRANQUILO Hostel

Reviewed August 31, 2008

Casa Tranquilo is located just ouside of the main square in Monteverde. The hotel is a great deal for the price-- you get breakfast, free internet, and the staff will happily book tours for you at no extra charge.

My only major complaint is the noise. Like most hotels in Monteverde, Casa Tranquilo is right on the main road. Let's just say that first world noise standards for vehicles haven't quite reached Costa Rica yet. I sleep with earplugs, and I was never woken-up, but it's not ideal to be trying to relax over breakfast and have cars roaring by.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2008

If you are travelling on a budget and looking for a quiet place, this is definitely a great choice. The owner and his wife were very accomodating and spoke fluent English, they helped us plan our days in Monteverde/Santa Elena.
We took a double room with private bath for 25$ a night. The room was fine, nothing special.
Free breakfast in the morning was nice - cereal, toast, coffee, fruit, eggs.
Free interent (one computer), there is wireless if you have a laptop.
Laundry service was 6$ for unlimited loads + dryer.
Hostel is located in Santa Elena, about 5 minutes walk from the main strip of restaurants and stores and about a 20 minute walk from Monteverde.

• Stayed: March 2008