“Good value, clean, comfortable”

Hotel Las Orquideas
Ranked #3 of 14 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This place was comfortable, clean, bright, and Lisa the manager/concierge was very helpful with booking trips and excursions (though I believe it helps if you speak Spanish). The rooms are a bit worn and the sheets, furniture, bathroom a bit old, but squeaky clean and absolutely doable for the price. I'd say it's a good value, especially in the remote Monteverde area where luxury seems to really come at a premium. You have to keep this in mind - this is not really the land of spa hotels! Las Orquideas really is, like other reviewers have said, staying at Grandma's house in a good way. For breakfast, we had eggs (any style we wanted), rice and beans, and some variation or vegetable or cheese, fresh fruit, coffee and (artificial) orange juice. It is served in the common room and you get to see Lisa cook it right then and there. Bathroom floors and walls are blue/white tiled, with a shower (no tub). Not luxury, but clean. The hotel is a 12 min walk from town, along a windy road but adequately-lit road with no sidewalks (none of the roads really have sidewalks).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheRebeccaSpecial

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Wow, I booked this hotel from reading great reviews and boy was I disappointed! Yes the staff is nice, but doesn't speak ANY English! Yes I know I am in Costa Rica, but still! She could not help us book excursions, she couldn't even recommend a place to eat! And last but not least the walls were so thin I could litterally follow the patrons next to us conversation about getting to the airport the next day. Would not stay there again!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ryAZ
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We were a group of 4 couples who stayed here 3 nights and loved it! The rooms open onto a large common area with TV and dining area. It was perfect for a group or even individuals. The hotel is warm and inviting like a B&B with a lovely back area for viewing the twin waterfalls and gorgeous hills sloping down toward the Nicoya Penisula. It was an easy walk into town of Santa Elena for restaurants and shopping. The owners, Danilo and Nidia, were very helpful in planning activities, dining options, and local history. They and their friendly staff made us feel right at home. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. Of all the places we stayed in Costa Rica, this was our favorite! It made us feel at home and a chance to be part of the local area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank gottaGOanytime
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed here for three days in March during our Spring Break trip. This hotel is a clean but midrange hotel for Costa Rica. The hotel is set up more like a home with bedrooms off the main lobby. It is situated next to a busy road so there is a bit of road noise at night. The owner is fantastic and offered many helpful suggestions. She was very kind to our teenagers and treated them like her grandchildren. We were able to walk to the town to get groceries and meals without problem. The rooms were small and could use a little sprucing but a great value for the area.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank JasonandJen
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I went off the reviews of this place and was expecting something really nice, but I was disappointed. The place is set up very strange. You walk in and there is a desk for reception, and on either side of the desk is open with doors on the wall. These doors lead directly into your room. We had a choice of rooms, but niether was extremely nice, and niether had a view of anything other than the hotel/house side next door. I expected a little more being that we were charged $80 for the night. We had a breakfast in the morning was ok. The beds were not comfortable, they were very hard and my husband actually slept in this little bed that reminded me of a children's bed about 3 inches off the ground. When I woke up in the morning, something had apparently been in the bed with me. I had bug bites everywhere on my legs. It must have been in the bed with me, freaked me out.

The community tv was directly outside the door of our room and it wasn't on, but someone had a tv on very loud and I could here it clearly in our room and it was midnight. You could here everything going on outside the door to our room because it was a community area and when people were sitting outside the room watching tv, I might not have even shut the door because it did nothing to dampen the sound.

The lady that had the place was very nice and accomidating and had good suggestions. I just expected a little more based off the reviews. It really was like staying at my relatives house almost. The bug bites just totally freaked me out. Maybe you could consider it more a hostel than a hotel. I would have expected it to be cheaper overall than what we payed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank nicole2338
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Beautiful grounds and views. Amazing breakfast. And all I paid was $40 per night. And Nidia, the matron of the place, was as friendly and helpful as you could ever hope for. She even gave me a lift into town on my final morning. Don't expect a TV in the room, though. And be wary of the coatimundi on the back deck -- they are very aggressive if you're holding food. And they have sharp claws. I've now become well aware of that.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We were here for 3 nights, our room was overlooking the forest and waterfall. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was good but a bit too repetitive.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
#3 of 20 in Monteverde
Cala Lodge
Cala Lodge
#5 of 20 in Monteverde

Been to Hotel Las Orquideas? Share your experiences!