After being trapped in San Jose for several days while we had dental work done, Monteverde was a breath of fresh air, quite literally. November is the off-season and we had our pick of rooms at Las Orquideas. The one we chose had lots of windows, although the bed was a bit lumpy. On our final night there were other guests and we realized just how thin the walls are. I say all this in explaining why I took off one "star" in my rating.
Otherwise, the place is delightful. The owner, Nidia, lived in Mississippi for many years and speaks excellent English. She was helpful in finding us things to do and making sure we got to where we needed to be on time. (She also came up with some pills that helped alleviate a bad toothache.) Breakfast every day consisted of tropical fruit plus some kind of eggs, meat and/or pancakes. The walkway and deck overlooking the valley gave us a stunning view. In the morning her little granddaughter fed the capuchin monkeys and coatis (pizotes) right out back. On a more mundane level, there is free wi-fi throughout.
If a helpful, comfortable environment and good value trump the need for luxury, we would highly recommend Las Orquideas. We would definitely stay there again. BTW, right next store is an open air restaurant, El Fogon, that serves up typical Costa Rican dishes in a relaxed atmosphere at good prices. We spent one delightful lunch watching clouds race up the valley and dive-bombing hummingbirds a few feet away from us. And we didn't count it a negative at all that we came away smelling of wood smoke.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Las Orquideas is owned and operated by a local Tico family that lived in U.S. for 29 years. We are located at the entrance of the Monteverde area, only 300 meters from the small town of Santa Elena, the commercial center of Monteverde, as you drive in from the Pan-American Highway. Here you will find unique, breathtaking views of the local waterfalls right out back with a private trail. The Tilaran mountain range where both, the Santa Elena and Monteverde Cloud Forest reserves are located, the Ecological Sanctuary, the San Luis Valley and the spectacular Gulf of Nicoya, all at one location. All rooms equipped with large windows to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Monteverde and the surrounding areas. We have two styles of rooms, rustic and modern. Beds are outfitted with therapeutic mattresses and hypo-allergenic sheets and comforters. Breakfasts are prepared and served right before your eyes. Come and visit us and feel like being on vacation in the comfort of your own home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Las Orquideas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Orquideas Santa Elena
- Las Orquideas Hotel Santa Elena
- Hotel Las Orquideas Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena