I have seen all of the reviews for this hotel and would like to clear up some misconceptions that everyone may have about this hotel and tripadvisors placement in the ratings. Ratings on tripadvisor are done by us, the customers. There is no official "star" rating system with professional travel writers making recommendations. The fact that Las Orquideas is rated #1 in Santa Elena is because customers feel it is the best place to stay. I have found Las Orquideas on other sites and it is a 1 star hotel. Personally, I feel it is the cleanliest and nicest 1 star hotel I have ever stayed in. You might find some spiders or other insects in the rooms, but face it people--you are just a few miles away from the Cloud Forest, there are going to be bugs. If you are afraid of a few beetles, spiders, and mosquitoes, Costa Rica is not the place for you and maybe you should consider some place north like Niagara Falls. I loved feeding the Pizotes in the morning and have posted some great pics of them crawling up my leg. They can be a little aggressive, so parents--don't let your kids hold the plate of food because their claws are sharp. Breakfast was good and actually better than some I have had in 3 star hotels. The owner was very accommodating in allowing us to leave our luggage with her while we toured the cloud forest since we were checking out that day. She had several restaurant recommendations and the walk to town is easy and not far. The view sells this place above anything! I have posted some amazing shots I snapped from the back porch. If you are looking for a clean, economical place to stay close to Santa Elena--this is it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Las Orquideas is owned and operated by a local Tico family that lived in U.S. for 29 years. We are located at the entrance of the Monteverde area, only 300 meters from the small town of Santa Elena, the commercial center of Monteverde, as you drive in from the Pan-American Highway. Here you will find unique, breathtaking views of the local waterfalls right out back with a private trail. The Tilaran mountain range where both, the Santa Elena and Monteverde Cloud Forest reserves are located, the Ecological Sanctuary, the San Luis Valley and the spectacular Gulf of Nicoya, all at one location. All rooms equipped with large windows to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Monteverde and the surrounding areas. We have two styles of rooms, rustic and modern. Beds are outfitted with therapeutic mattresses and hypo-allergenic sheets and comforters. Breakfasts are prepared and served right before your eyes. Come and visit us and feel like being on vacation in the comfort of your own home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Las Orquideas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Orquideas Santa Elena
- Las Orquideas Hotel Santa Elena
- Hotel Las Orquideas Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena