“Decent Stop in Monteverde”

Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Santa Elena
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My family and I stayed here on our visit to Monteverde. Jose at the front desk was extremely helpful in helping us plan our cloud forest adventures. We really enjoyed the breakfast. The rooms were just what we needed. The staff were all very helpful, friendly, and professional. The walls are somewhat thin, so you can sometimes hear mumbling, however, that did not bother me or my family. We did zip-lining with Aventura and it was an amazing experience. In addition, the food at Sabor Tico down the street from Hotel Cipreses is delicious! If you want a decent place to stay at while you explore the adventures of Monteverde, Hotel Cipreses is a great choice.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days while exploring the area and it was very clean and comfortable (our bathroom was huge), the daily breakfast was delicious, and the staff helpful and friendly. Also appreciated all of the little signs in the room showing how to reduce energy and waste while at the hotel! About a 10 minute walk from the center of the main town, which was nice for last minute souvenir shopping, grabbing great food/coffee (orchid cafe and taco taco are must go-to's!), and going out to the few bars there -- my friend and I felt safe walking around at all points of the day/night and this hotel is an inviting space to come home to after all of the adventures. Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aya O
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here during my third visit to Monteverde. I stayed in the expensive, more luxurious El Establo hotel on a prior stay. While I enjoyed that as well, it was a bit farther from town and I wanted to be as close to town as possible and to Sabor Tico, the yummy restaurant right down the hill from the hotel.

When I first arrived, I was offered a yummy fresh pineapple drink. It was refreshing and needed after the three hour trip from the airport. The front desk person at the time, was a lovely gentleman who spoke English well. He smiled all the time and nothing was too big to ask for. I used the computers in the lobby and perused their brochures on activities, and then everything was arranged through the front desk.

The breakfast was very yummy and I loved the plantains. It was definitely filling enough to get you through to dinner if you're ziplining or doing something action packed during the day. The room was nothing fancy but it was perfect for what I needed and having been to Montervde two times before, I knew what to expect. I had a lovely terrace where I could sit and see over the rooftops of the street. One night I ordered food from Sabor Tico and just sat out there and watched the sunset. It was very clean and it had a TV from which I watched New York news and heard about New York weather - it was nice to reminisce about my birthtown while staying somewhere so far and distant in scenery and culture. There are containers outside for plastics, paper, aluminum etc. which is appreciated as the planet needs as much saving as possible! There was a guard who kept watch in the lobby during the night so although there's not much to be afraid of there, extra security anywhere never hurts!

When I had a problem with my airline and they changed my flight from the late afternoon to 8am, I had to leave the hotel at 3am. Now how on earth am I going to do that????? I was a bit nervous about that but the front desk managers tried everyone they knew to get me a private ride back and they found someone who did it for a reasonable price at that time of the morning. My exchanges with the front desk were always friendly and helpful. I must give them kudos for even helping me upon my return home. I needed a taxi receipt for the ride early in the morning to get reimbursed for it and they sent it to me right away and wished me well.

I would definitely stay here again. Nature is the resort here so if you are looking for fancy shmancy amenities then Monteverde is probably not for you. At night I would walk past other guests' rooms who had the light on and the windows open, and you could see them just reading, writing in a journal or sitting outside listening to the sounds of the night. Peace and tranquility are so much more rewarding than marble bathrooms, shampoo bottles and a hairdryer!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank travelchick627
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Good:
-large room
-breakfast
-one front desk person was friendly

The Bad:
-horribly thin walls with loud music playing all hours
-no signs to find hotel
-rude manager
-hard bed
-horrible lighting (no lamps)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Joshua e
HotelCipreses, Gerente at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thanks Joshua fort taking the time to write a review for our hotel, after seeing the hotels where you stayed in Manuel Antonio Byblos Resort & Spa and Villa Caletas in Jaco does not make us feel bad, because they are a category of hotel much higher than us with out dude, thanks to other clients who left great review for our proerty they paid for what they wanted, I would like to receive a direct email from you about the situation with the manager, as he is in charge of being more friendly than anyone else and usually always qualify in good health thanks to him, if you had requested another room would have gladly given, as we focus on meeting the needs of our guest, or think that maybe this was the wrong hotel for you, there are other very good options in Monteverde more price but you would have felt better, I regret what happened and hope to receive a direct mail to clarify any other discomfort.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

You get what you pay for sometimes, and this is one example. There was nothing charming or interesting about the hotel. It was clean and the breakfast buffet was adequate. It is unfortunate that there is no comfortable place to sit and relax after hiking in one of the reserves. The rooms are decent size, however they are stacked together like a cheap highway road stop motel in the USA would be. Given the gorgeous location of Santa Elena/Monteverde it seems out of place here. I would spend a bit more the next time I return to the area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Willow456
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for a couple of nights. It’s a great place to stay if you’re on a budget, like we were. Obviously, it’s no 5 star hotel, but the rooms were clean and the staff was very nice. The location is good too because its just a ten minute walk from the heart of town where most of the little shops and restaurants are. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor - there was no A/C. But it was cool at night, so we didn't have...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2013

this is quaint and small. the staff is good and helpful with tour suggestions. Got us ice when needed, Sent someone immediately when water was cold. town in walking distance albeit vertical. one needs to be physically fit in Monteverde. This is a place for zip lining and nature so hotel is primarily for sleeping.. Met nice family from The Netherlands and some Canadians to chat and share beers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
#4 of 20 in Monteverde
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
#3 of 20 in Monteverde

Been to Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica? Share your experiences!